b.a.t.m.a.n.lists.open-mesh.org archive mirror
* [B.A.T.M.A.N.] batmand-exp test in the developing world
@ 2007-11-02  5:17 Jan Hetges
From: Jan Hetges @ 2007-11-02  5:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: b.a.t.m.a.n

Hola todos
after
On Mon, Oct 15, 2007 at 04:14:36PM +0200, elektra wrote:
> I'm sorry to say that 0.3beta is not usable at the moment.
and my tests with 0.3-beta_~rv720 showed path-detection pretty
broken, i tried exp-0.3. Finally i installed rv772 on 14
nodes real-world, rural nicaragua "non-profit-WISP/community
network" parallel to existing olsrd(0.4.10/0.5.2/0.5.4pre)/
batmand_0.2-rv502.
the solar powered nodes run bmxd-rv772 for almost 36hrs
now, with no significant instabilities(with lots of tunneled
download-traffic, the tunnel get's a bit unstable, what Axel already
fixed in rv774). CPU-usage on client nodes looks less than in
batmand_0.2, and slightly more than olsrd (would be interesting to
see that scaling in a cloud with >100 nodes (how's the
"massive parallel vm simulation" going btw?)), but is significantly
higher (about factor 2) on gateway node. Best path-detection and
usability/stability of routes so far. All nodes seem visible
everywhere anytime, which is the case in olsrd as well, but not in
batmand_0.2. I'm located two hops from the GW where my server also is.
So i'm streaming music from there to check the stability of the
route: with only olsrd it gets silent (with 1024KB disk cache
in mplayer, ~40sec) pretty regularly (because of "collapsing
routing tables" somewhere), with only batmand_0.2 it's even worse
(because the GW node "doesn't hear my OGMs" too well). Both together
are pretty usable. So i tried with only bmxd and disk cache set
to 32KB (>1.5sec) and in tree hours music stopped once for <2sec !
from the "user-feeling" it's the way best mesh-daemon i tried so far.
for fairness i have to say that my olsrds are neither all up to date,
nor pretty well configured, but i beleave olsrd is a
"historically crippled design" and the evolution of batmand will
show the possibilities of wireless mesh networking.
this all needs some further testing and improvements, but
i'm pretty sure all the good bits will find their way into 0.3-final.
Thanks to Elektra, Marek, Axel and everyone else who put so much
energy into this amazing peace of free software.

BatMan-eXperimental 0.3-alpha rv772 (compatibility version 5)

		 /'          '\
	       /   \__^..^__/   \
	     /    / _ \vv/ _ \    \
	    /          \/          \
	   /                        \

	 May the bat guide your path ...

cheers

  --Jan

* Re: [B.A.T.M.A.N.] batmand-exp test in the developing world
@ 2007-11-03 21:39 ` Aaron Kaplan
From: Aaron Kaplan @ 2007-11-03 21:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The list for a Better Approach To Mobile Ad-hoc Networking

jan, please can you do me a favor and report if the release version
0.5.4 of olsrd
was more efficient? sven-ola fixed a hug huge bug (the fish eye
algorithm did not work!).

We experienced ~ 200% increase in cpu efficiency and ~ 300% in
network efficiency between 0.4.10 and 0.5.4.
c.f. http://olsr.funkfeuer.at for graphs.

I believe the 0.5.4pre still had that bug .

thanks for helping with testing .

a.

PS: Concerning the massive emulation... i am working on it..

On Nov 2, 2007, at 6:17 AM, Jan Hetges wrote:

> Hola todos
> after
> On Mon, Oct 15, 2007 at 04:14:36PM +0200, elektra wrote:
>> I'm sorry to say that 0.3beta is not usable at the moment.
> and my tests with 0.3-beta_~rv720 showed path-detection pretty
> broken, i tried exp-0.3. Finally i installed rv772 on 14
> nodes real-world, rural nicaragua "non-profit-WISP/community
> network" parallel to existing olsrd(0.4.10/0.5.2/0.5.4pre)/
> batmand_0.2-rv502.
> the solar powered nodes run bmxd-rv772 for almost 36hrs
> now, with no significant instabilities(with lots of tunneled
> download-traffic, the tunnel get's a bit unstable, what Axel already
> fixed in rv774). CPU-usage on client nodes looks less than in
> batmand_0.2, and slightly more than olsrd (would be interesting to
> see that scaling in a cloud with >100 nodes (how's the
> "massive parallel vm simulation" going btw?)), but is significantly
> higher (about factor 2) on gateway node. Best path-detection and
> usability/stability of routes so far. All nodes seem visible
> everywhere anytime, which is the case in olsrd as well, but not in
> batmand_0.2. I'm located two hops from the GW where my server also is.
> So i'm streaming music from there to check the stability of the
> route: with only olsrd it gets silent (with 1024KB disk cache
> in mplayer, ~40sec) pretty regularly (because of "collapsing
> routing tables" somewhere), with only batmand_0.2 it's even worse
> (because the GW node "doesn't hear my OGMs" too well). Both together
> are pretty usable. So i tried with only bmxd and disk cache set
> to 32KB (>1.5sec) and in tree hours music stopped once for <2sec !
> from the "user-feeling" it's the way best mesh-daemon i tried so far.
> for fairness i have to say that my olsrds are neither all up to date,
> nor pretty well configured, but i beleave olsrd is a
> "historically crippled design" and the evolution of batmand will
> show the possibilities of wireless mesh networking.
> this all needs some further testing and improvements, but
> i'm pretty sure all the good bits will find their way into 0.3-final.
> Thanks to Elektra, Marek, Axel and everyone else who put so much
> energy into this amazing peace of free software.
>
> BatMan-eXperimental 0.3-alpha rv772 (compatibility version 5)
>
> 		 /'          '\
> 	       /   \__^..^__/   \
> 	     /    / _ \vv/ _ \    \
> 	    /          \/          \
> 	   /                        \
>
> 	 May the bat guide your path ...
>

> cheers
>
>   --Jan

---
there's no place like 127.0.0.1

* Re: [B.A.T.M.A.N.] batmand-exp test in the developing world
@ 2007-11-04  1:19 ` elektra
From: elektra @ 2007-11-04  1:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: b.a.t.m.a.n

Hello Jan -

indeed, your report is the wage for our work. Your application is one of our
prime targets.

Cheers!
cu elektra

* Re: [B.A.T.M.A.N.] batmand-exp test in the developing world
@ 2007-11-04  2:36   ` elektra
From: elektra @ 2007-11-04  2:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: b.a.t.m.a.n

> > > and my tests with 0.3-beta_~rv720 showed path-detection pretty
> > > broken
> >
> > Well, rev720 is almost 3 weeks old. During that time the new
> > routing algo was quite unstable. Did you also try the newer
> > snapshots ?
>
> On Tue, Oct 16, 2007 at 12:04:37PM +0200, elektra wrote:
> > We'll post a message to the list as soon as we think it is fixed and
> > worth a try.
>
> i never saw that post (maybe i missed it?), so i only tested exp-0.3 :)

You didn't miss it. I still don't consider it usable.

cu elektra

* Re: [B.A.T.M.A.N.] batmand-exp test in the developing world
@ 2007-11-04  1:10 ` Jan Hetges
From: Jan Hetges @ 2007-11-04  1:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The list for a Better Approach To Mobile Ad-hoc Networking