b.a.t.m.a.n.lists.open-mesh.org archive mirror
* [B.A.T.M.A.N.] Linux bridge-code for something like BATMAN
@ 2011-06-15 19:05 fboehm
From: fboehm @ 2011-06-15 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The list for a Better Approach To Mobile Ad-hoc Networking

Hi,

I know bridging is not routing but I was thinking since some time if it
is possible to modify the linux bridge-code for forwarding layer2
packets according to the rules of some routing algorithm. This means the
bridge would not learn mac addresses from ARP protocol any longer but
from a daemon. The result would be a layer2 mesh routing like BATMAN does.

OLSR is doing quite the same one layer above by manipulating the routing
table with the OLSR daemon. Of course it's much easier to manipulate a
routing table because there are interfaces for doing this.

It's just an idea and I would like to hear your expert opinions.

Kind regards,
Franz

* Re: [B.A.T.M.A.N.] Linux bridge-code for something like BATMAN
@ 2011-06-15 19:22 ` Marek Lindner
From: Marek Lindner @ 2011-06-15 19:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The list for a Better Approach To Mobile Ad-hoc Networking

Hi,

> I know bridging is not routing but I was thinking since some time if it
> is possible to modify the linux bridge-code for forwarding layer2
> packets according to the rules of some routing algorithm. This means the
> bridge would not learn mac addresses from ARP protocol any longer but
> from a daemon. The result would be a layer2 mesh routing like BATMAN does.

if you want something like BATMAN why not simply using BATMAN ? Or you are
trying to understand the difference between standard bridging and BATMAN ?

Regards,
Marek

* Re: [B.A.T.M.A.N.] Linux bridge-code for something like BATMAN
@ 2011-06-15 19:28   ` fboehm
From: fboehm @ 2011-06-15 19:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The list for a Better Approach To Mobile Ad-hoc Networking

Am 2011-06-15 21:22, schrieb Marek Lindner:
> Hi,
>
>> I know bridging is not routing but I was thinking since some time if it
>> is possible to modify the linux bridge-code for forwarding layer2
>> packets according to the rules of some routing algorithm. This means the
>> bridge would not learn mac addresses from ARP protocol any longer but
>> from a daemon. The result would be a layer2 mesh routing like BATMAN does.
> if you want something like BATMAN why not simply using BATMAN ? Or you are
> trying to understand the difference between standard bridging and BATMAN ?
>
> Regards,
> Marek

unfortunately I am stuck with an older kernel where I can't use BATMAN.
And everytime I am dealing with linux bridge configuration this idea
comes into my mind.

At the moment it's just an idea but before starting some experiments I
would like to get some feedback.

@ 2011-06-15 20:23     ` Marek Lindner
From: Marek Lindner @ 2011-06-15 20:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The list for a Better Approach To Mobile Ad-hoc Networking

On Wednesday, June 15, 2011 09:28:27 PM fboehm wrote:
> unfortunately I am stuck with an older kernel where I can't use BATMAN.
> And everytime I am dealing with linux bridge configuration this idea
> comes into my mind.

If you can't upgrade your kernel you need to develop that for your old kernel
version. BATMAN supports up to 2.6.21 which already is ancient ..

> At the moment it's just an idea but before starting some experiments I
> would like to get some feedback.

Then you have to explain your idea in greater detail. Feeding mac addresses
into the bridge module alone is not going to make layer2 routing work.

Regards,
Marek