b.a.t.m.a.n.lists.open-mesh.org archive mirror
* [B.A.T.M.A.N.] Batman-Adv & iptables mac filtering
@ 2012-12-18  0:10 HeXiLeD
From: HeXiLeD @ 2012-12-18  0:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The list for a Better Approach To Mobile Ad-hoc Networking

This is probably a openwrt question but even so it might have some
impact on batman-adv.

I am planing to use mac filtering through iptables on openwrt with a
default policy of deny all, allowing only by white list the clients that
will be allowed t connect.

My question to the batman team is if by applying this idea and since
batman-adv uses MACs to manage the routing; if i will have to white list
the other router MACs on the router or routers that will be filtering
MACs with iptables or batman-adv is not affected by mac filtering.

* Re: [B.A.T.M.A.N.] Batman-Adv & iptables mac filtering
@ 2012-12-18  4:02 ` Marek Lindner
From: Marek Lindner @ 2012-12-18  4:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: b.a.t.m.a.n, HeXileD

On Tuesday, December 18, 2012 08:10:30 HeXiLeD wrote:
> This is probably a openwrt question but even so it might have some
> impact on batman-adv.
>
> I am planing to use mac filtering through iptables on openwrt with a
> default policy of deny all, allowing only by white list the clients that
> will be allowed t connect.
>

> My question to the batman team is if by applying this idea and since
> batman-adv uses MACs to manage the routing; if i will have to white list
> the other router MACs on the router or routers that will be filtering
> MACs with iptables or batman-adv is not affected by mac filtering.

iptables works on layer3. Even though you have a mac address filter option it
will only catch anything if the packet is moved up to layer3 which does not
happen for batman-adv packets. So, iptables will never even see the packets
used by batman-adv.

Cheers,
Marek

* Re: [B.A.T.M.A.N.] Batman-Adv & iptables mac filtering
@ 2012-12-27 22:59   ` Esteban Municio
From: Esteban Municio @ 2012-12-27 22:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The list for a Better Approach To Mobile Ad-hoc Networking

Could you use ebtables instead?

--
Esteban

* Re: [B.A.T.M.A.N.] Batman-Adv & iptables mac filtering
@ 2013-01-02  6:45     ` Marek Lindner
From: Marek Lindner @ 2013-01-02  6:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: b.a.t.m.a.n

On Friday, December 28, 2012 06:59:40 Esteban Municio wrote:
> Could you use ebtables instead?

I was told you can use ebtables but I never used it.

Cheers,
Marek

* Re: [B.A.T.M.A.N.] Batman-Adv & iptables mac filtering
@ 2013-01-02  7:41       ` Antonio Quartulli
From: Antonio Quartulli @ 2013-01-02  7:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The list for a Better Approach To Mobile Ad-hoc Networking