b.a.t.m.a.n.lists.open-mesh.org archive mirror
* [B.A.T.M.A.N.] batman-adv: increased default hop penalty
@ 2015-03-30 19:27 Ruben Wisniewski
From: Ruben Wisniewski @ 2015-03-30 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: b.a.t.m.a.n; +Cc: Simon Wunderlich, felix

Forwarded private message, on request by Simon.

On Friday 27 March 2015 16:52:14 Ruben Wisniewski wrote:
> Hello Simon,
>

> we just updated our mesh, to the batman-adv-version 2014.4. Now your
> patch batman-adv: increase default hop penalty[1] is included.
>
> Since we got very large mesh-networks, we have some troubles with your
> patch, which makes long (needed) pathes unusable, because they TQ drop
> to lower zero.
>
> Else, we got some old and some new batman-adv versions, this change
> overloads the old nodes, because their TQ are better, and similiar
> links over new nodes got ignored.
>
> Else I see no improvement overall, because the usual urban link-wide
> is about 30-50 meteres, and we got parts of the net where we need 4-5
> hops to reach the last node. Your Patch seem to limit these pathes to
> something around 3 hops. So parts of our net are now offline, and the
> speed overall doesn't seem to be improved.
>
> After these experience I like to ask you, if you mind reverting this
> patch again. Else we have to work around with resetting to 15 again on
> boot, which I think is not the prefered solution.
>

> [1]
> http://www.open-mesh.org/projects/batman-adv/repository/revisions/7644650bb7
> 66bd4c7b6be5d97e6b1c3ed93a38d7
>

> Best regards,
>

> Ruben

[-- Attachment #2: Digitale Signatur von OpenPGP --]

* Re: [B.A.T.M.A.N.] batman-adv: increased default hop penalty
@ 2015-03-31 12:18 ` Simon Wunderlich
From: Simon Wunderlich @ 2015-03-31 12:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: b.a.t.m.a.n; +Cc: felix

to cite from my original answer:

We did have some discussion on that patch too:

https://lists.open-mesh.org/pipermail/b.a.t.m.a.n/2014-June/012155.html

I wrote that patch because we had problems in commercial installations and
dual radio access points, which were fixed by this patch (as described in the
mail). I didn't hear any practical problems so far, you are the first one.

I guess its not easy to have a "one value fixes all problems" hop penalty, but
its at least worth to discuss it - so thank you very much for your input.

Since we got this mail on the mailing list now, I'd like to hear opinions from
other people and/or communities.

Thanks,
     Simon

@ 2015-04-19 18:25   ` Linus Lüssing
From: Linus Lüssing @ 2015-04-19 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Simon Wunderlich; +Cc: b.a.t.m.a.n, felix

Hi,

at the last Wireless Battle Mesh there were some nice graphs for
the throughput and number of hops chosen - except for batman-adv
because they used the layer 3 ping-tool for that.

We should probably look into having a graph about that for
batman-adv at the next WBM, I think. Then we can compare with
the other routing protocols via the throughput statistics whether
batman-adv chooses too short routes and therefore.

For my current experiences with the number of hops, I can't say
anything for sure yet. Years ago I had issues with batman-adv
selecting too short routes in a specific indoor setup. But that
turned out to be a mean hidden-node problem instead: batman-adv
switched to a shorter - and unusable - route a few seconds after
starting iperf.

From the Freifunk community mesh in Lübeck, I had been playing a
little with increasing the hop penalty on the VPN gateways a few
weeks ago, with the intent to make the wifi-mesh more preferable
compared to the VPN uplinks.

I wasn't able to get a workable route from this node:
http://map.luebeck.freifunk.net/#!n:24a43c99ac30
to this node:
http://map.luebeck.freifunk.net/#!n:647002d15c36

It'd take about six hops to get there. All links on this path
are green, meaning they have a TQ above 200.

Unfortunately with the last hop the TQ dropped too low, the nodes
aren't within each others horizon.

Also, we are still using batman-adv 2013.4.0 here, so we actually
still have the hop penalty of 15.

Cheers, Linus

PS: Though I guess it doesn't make much sense to fiddle some more
with the hop penalty now. The new throughput metric with BATMAN V
is probably the better approach to mobile adhoc networking :).