b.a.t.m.a.n.lists.open-mesh.org archive mirror
* [B.A.T.M.A.N.] [wpa_supplicant] Is there a way to limit peers (to about 12) for IBSS/adhoc?
@ 2017-06-03  4:09 Xuebing Wang
From: Xuebing Wang @ 2017-06-03  4:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: hostap
  Cc: ath10k, b.a.t.m.a.n, simon Wunderlich, Sven Eckelmann, Jason Toschlog

Hi community,

This email is mainly addressed to hostap/wpa_supplicant mailing list.

Descriptions of my issue:
- I am establishing IBSS/adhoc network using OpenWRT 15.05 + ath9k (AR9331).
- When nodes are relatively closely placed, the peers (the term is
'neighbors' in batman-adv mesh) reach 40, ath9k driver detects "tx hung,
resetting the chip" (for RESET_TYPE_TX_HANG).
- This ath9k "tx hung" randomly happens among the 40 nodes (in adhoc
network), and it happens relatively often (seemingly randomly for
nodes), and randomly makes some nodes un-usable.
- This appears to be an issue with ath9k kernel driver or ath9k hardware
that it can not handle ~40 peers.
- IBSS/adhoc with 20 peers work well.

Is there a config in wpa_supplicant that we can limit the number of peers?

In the other words, once the number of peers ('iw wlan0 station dump')
reaches a pre-configured number (e.g. 12 or 16), wpa_supplicant does not
authenticate any more, for IBSS/adhoc only?
- A subtle detail: once a new beacon with higher RSSI is detected, the
current connection with lowest RSSI will be de-authenticated, and to
authenticate this new peer (with higher RSSI in beacon).

Is this "limiting number of peers for IBSS/adhoc" a good work-around for
40+ peers adhoc network, although the ultimate root cause seemingly is
with ath9k kernel driver or ath9k hardware?

Also, if there are many (like 40+) peers in IBSS/adhoc network, I am not
sure how medium access contention and collisions factor in, for
management frames?

Here is my wpa_supplicant conf file:
------
ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant

# use 'ap_scan=2' on all devices connected to the network
# this is unnecessary if you only want the network to be created when no
other networks are available
ap_scan=2

network={
     ssid="Net-xxxxxxxx"
     mode=1
     frequency=2462
     proto=WPA2
     key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
     pairwise=CCMP
     group=CCMP
     psk="xxxxxxxx"
}
------

Another approach could be to use user-space shell script to "iw <dev>
ibss leave" for the lower RSSI stations?
- As I am using batman-adv to build mesh network on the top of
IBSS/adhoc, a similar approach can be done at batman-adv level.

Suggestions?

Thanks.
Xuebing Wang

* Re: [B.A.T.M.A.N.] [wpa_supplicant] Is there a way to limit peers (to about 12) for IBSS/adhoc?
@ 2017-06-03  5:18 ` Adrian Chadd
From: Adrian Chadd @ 2017-06-03  5:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xuebing Wang
  Cc: hostap, Jason Toschlog, b.a.t.m.a.n, Sven Eckelmann, ath10k,
	simon Wunderlich

Hi!

Does it happen if you run 40 IBSS nodes without encryption?

(I wonder if it's a MAC or PHY bug..)

-adrian

* Re: [B.A.T.M.A.N.] [wpa_supplicant] Is there a way to limit peers (to about 12) for IBSS/adhoc?
@ 2017-06-03  5:28   ` Xuebing Wang
From: Xuebing Wang @ 2017-06-03  5:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adrian Chadd
  Cc: hostap, Jason Toschlog, b.a.t.m.a.n, Sven Eckelmann, ath10k,
	simon Wunderlich

Thanks.

I did not try 40 IBSS nodes without encryption. I am using software
encryption for ath9k because of key caching issues discussed in below
threads:
https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/9381651/
https://github.com/cozybit/authsae/issues/42

This is a customer site in the field, our temporary work-around is to
create 2 networks (each is with 20 nodes) by using different SSID.

Because this is customer site in the field, it is not convenient to
change and test. Does it make sense to test without encryption,
encryption is a MUST?

Xuebing Wang

@ 2017-06-03  6:16     ` Adrian Chadd
From: Adrian Chadd @ 2017-06-03  6:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xuebing Wang
  Cc: hostap, Jason Toschlog, b.a.t.m.a.n, Sven Eckelmann, ath10k,
	simon Wunderlich

Hi,

Well, it sounds like something you need a 40 node test network for :)

I was wondering whether it was some kind of MAC bug that was being
triggered because of so many units say, overflowing the keycache or
something. But if it's software encryption then maybe not. I wish I
could help more, but setting up a 40 node network to test is a big
challenge. :)

Is it a gradual thing?  Ie, do you know when it starts to hang? Does
it hang at 40? or gradually as you approach 40?

As for association limits - I thought there was a maximum station
parameter somewhere...

-adrian

* Re: [B.A.T.M.A.N.] [wpa_supplicant] Is there a way to limit peers (to about 12) for IBSS/adhoc?
@ 2017-06-03  6:30       ` Xuebing Wang
From: Xuebing Wang @ 2017-06-03  6:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adrian Chadd
  Cc: hostap, Jason Toschlog, b.a.t.m.a.n, Sven Eckelmann, ath10k,
	simon Wunderlich

Hi Adrian,

=> Is it a gradual thing?  Ie, do you know when it starts to hang? Does
it hang at 40? or gradually as you approach 40?

We do not know. What we do know is, 20 peers / neighbors work well.

Jason Toschlog in CC said that he observed similar issues with brcmfmac
when peers reach 32 (16 peers work for him).

I guess I will setup 32 or 40 nodes here and try limit the max number of
peers (at wpa_supplicant) for IBSS/adhoc.

Thanks again.

Xuebing Wang

@ 2017-06-03  8:45 ` Xuebing Wang
From: Xuebing Wang @ 2017-06-03  8:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: hostap, Masashi Honma
  Cc: ath10k, b.a.t.m.a.n, simon Wunderlich, Sven Eckelmann,
	Jason Toschlog, Adrian Chadd

Hi Honma-san,

Does max_peer_links apply to IBSS/adhoc (in addition to 802.11s mesh)?
Thanks.

Xuebing Wang

@ 2017-06-03  9:21         ` Simon Wunderlich
From: Simon Wunderlich @ 2017-06-03  9:21 UTC (permalink / raw)