b.a.t.m.a.n.lists.open-mesh.org archive mirror
* [B.A.T.M.A.N.] Classes and purposed classes (problem to solve)
@ 2013-02-15 15:35 cmsv
From: cmsv @ 2013-02-15 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The list for a Better Approach To Mobile Ad-hoc Networking

Scenario:
I have recently moved 13 nodes previously using wds  to batman-adv.
One problem that i am encountering is the gateway selection and its
actually defectiveness.
This problem has be seen when the client nodes are set on class 20.

The node clients in fact select the gateways that advertise better link
quality usually above 200 but at the same time some clients  end up
connecting to a gateway that is either too slow or unusable either due
to routing or other factors such as distance and even clear visibility.
In one case the node connects to something that defies logic.

I thought about ways to work around this and came up with an idea that
may help which means the creation of 2 new classes.

- Preferred gateway fall-back

- Preferred fixed gateway

For  Preferred gateway fall-back:

consider the gateway's advertised quality towards the gateway and stick
with the selection until the gateway disappears returning to it soon as
it returns regardless of any other data.

- Preferred fixed gateway
Manual gateway selection by the node owner or admin. (wds type)

If these classes cannot be created; maybe a plugin of some sort could
be. could be called "gordon".

 I understand that this idea may sound useless the same way blocking
originators may be for someone but in some scenarios just like blocking
originators it look to me very valid.
My current problem is that the link quality seems to go up and down like
 a roller coaster in a specific order which causes the clients to switch
constantly sometimes many times per hour.
While this does not seem to be an issue for most client nodes; for 2 of
them it means no internet access at all.

The solution for now seems to be having these 2 nodes forced to use 1
specific gateway.

I am quite open to any ideas that may help resolve this issue that has
been casing some "uninformed people" to become headaches.

--

Redes wireless
http://wirelesspt.net

* Re: [B.A.T.M.A.N.] Classes and purposed classes (problem to solve)
@ 2015-11-14 18:04 ` 3zl Trizonelabs
From: 3zl Trizonelabs @ 2015-11-14 18:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The list for a Better Approach To Mobile Ad-hoc Networking

we do fight about the same problem in our network.
With multi-gateway there it seems the general problems how to
influence the batman-adv gateway announcement in respect of gateway
capabilities.
Additionally we encountered the problem that a gateway lost uptream
connection(internet) without switching itself from server to client,
so nodes with path to that gateway routes their resp.clients to a
"black hole".
Question is how generally control the batman-adv routing in those cases.
Any suggenstions are welcome
3zl
i4free-gr

* Re: [B.A.T.M.A.N.] Classes and purposed classes (problem to solve)
@ 2015-11-16  2:13   ` Marek Lindner
From: Marek Lindner @ 2015-11-16  2:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The list for a Better Approach To Mobile Ad-hoc Networking

On Saturday, November 14, 2015 20:04:49 3zl Trizonelabs wrote:
> With multi-gateway there it seems the general problems how to
> influence the batman-adv gateway announcement in respect of gateway
> capabilities.

Can you explain in greater detail what you are trying to achieve ?

> Additionally we encountered the problem that a gateway lost uptream
> connection(internet) without switching itself from server to client,
> so nodes with path to that gateway routes their resp.clients to a
> "black hole".
> Question is how generally control the batman-adv routing in those cases.

If you control the gateways the gateway should detect the uplink failure and
stop announcing themselves as gateway. That is how most people are doing it.

If you don't control the gateways or wish to solve this on the clients the
batman-adv module would need to get extended to influence the selected gateway
from user space.

Cheers,
Marek

* Re: [B.A.T.M.A.N.] Classes and purposed classes (problem to solve)
@ 2015-11-17  1:15 ` Marek Lindner
From: Marek Lindner @ 2015-11-17  1:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The list for a Better Approach To Mobile Ad-hoc Networking

On Monday, November 16, 2015 23:00:59 3zl Trizonelabs wrote:
> in cases of gateway-router instabilites (short brownouts / blackouts )
>  which we have alot with thunderstorms, it would be helpful if some
> other control instance could block the gateway to be used inside the
> batman-adv routing aside from the gateway anouncing itself.

Why does it matter how long the gateway is out ? What is the advantage of
doing long blackouts via the gateway announcement and short blackouts on the
client ? The clients have to switch their gateway either way.

> Is there any idea how to implement some kind of  'control instance'
> for the batman-adv routing ?

That depends on your definition of 'control instance'. From a high level
perspective how should it work ?

> That also would help to achive some dynamic routing to gateways by
> adjusting the qualtiy of those in respect L3 parameters.

This sentence does not compile. Do you mind explaining what you have in mind ?

Cheers,
Marek

* Re: [B.A.T.M.A.N.] Classes and purposed classes (problem to solve)
@ 2015-11-16 21:00 3zl Trizonelabs
From: 3zl Trizonelabs @ 2015-11-16 21:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The list for a Better Approach To Mobile Ad-hoc Networking

> On Saturday, November 14, 2015 20:04:49 3zl Trizonelabs wrote:
>> With multi-gateway there it seems the general problems how to
>> influence the batman-adv gateway announcement in respect of gateway
>> capabilities.
>
> Can you explain in greater detail what you are trying to achieve ?
>

>> Additionally we encountered the problem that a gateway lost uptream
>> connection(internet) without switching itself from server to client,
>> so nodes with path to that gateway routes their resp.clients to a
>> "black hole".
>> Question is how generally control the batman-adv routing in those cases.
>
> If you control the gateways the gateway should detect the uplink failure and
> stop announcing themselves as gateway. That is how most people are doing it.

in cases of gateway-router instabilites (short brownouts / blackouts )
 which we have alot with thunderstorms, it would be helpful if some
other control instance could block the gateway to be used inside the
batman-adv routing aside from the gateway anouncing itself.

> If you don't control the gateways or wish to solve this on the clients the
> batman-adv module would need to get extended to influence the selected gateway
> from user space.

Is there any idea how to implement some kind of  'control instance'
for the batman-adv routing ?

That also would help to achive some dynamic routing to gateways by
adjusting the qualtiy of those in respect L3 parameters.

tnx 3zl