b.a.t.m.a.n.lists.open-mesh.org archive mirror
* [B.A.T.M.A.N.] single radio routers and ap/adhoc interfaces
@ 2013-06-26 17:30 jonsmirl
From: jonsmirl @ 2013-06-26 17:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: b.a.t.m.a.n

I'd like to setup batman up on single radio routers. I've installed
openwrt on three different chipsets now (RT3050, RT5350, AR9331) and
none of these wireless drivers implements support for simultaneous
adhoc and ap mode on virtual interfaces.

Yet when I google around I see lots of examples of people using single
radio routers with dual adhoc and ap mode virtual interfaces.  So
which radios support simultaneous adhoc/ap mode?

From AR9331...
valid interface combinations:
* #{ managed, WDS, P2P-client } <= 2048, #{ AP, mesh point, P2P-GO }
<= 8, #{ IBSS } <= 1,
  total <= 2048, #channels <= 1, STA/AP BI must match
* #{ AP } <= 1,
  total <= 1, #channels <= 1, STA/AP BI must match, radar detect
widths: { 20 MHz (no HT), 20 MHz }

--
Jon Smirl
jonsmirl@gmail.com

* Re: [B.A.T.M.A.N.] single radio routers and ap/adhoc interfaces
@ 2013-06-26 18:02 ` Antonio Quartulli
From: Antonio Quartulli @ 2013-06-26 18:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The list for a Better Approach To Mobile Ad-hoc Networking

On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 01:30:18PM -0400, jonsmirl@gmail.com wrote:
> I'd like to setup batman up on single radio routers. I've installed
> openwrt on three different chipsets now (RT3050, RT5350, AR9331) and
> none of these wireless drivers implements support for simultaneous
> adhoc and ap mode on virtual interfaces.
>
> Yet when I google around I see lots of examples of people using single
> radio routers with dual adhoc and ap mode virtual interfaces.  So
> which radios support simultaneous adhoc/ap mode?
>
> From AR9331...
> valid interface combinations:
> * #{ managed, WDS, P2P-client } <= 2048, #{ AP, mesh point, P2P-GO }
> <= 8, #{ IBSS } <= 1,
>   total <= 2048, #channels <= 1, STA/AP BI must match
> * #{ AP } <= 1,
>   total <= 1, #channels <= 1, STA/AP BI must match, radar detect
> widths: { 20 MHz (no HT), 20 MHz }

Am I wrong or AR9331 is handled by the ath5k driver?

However in openwrt you will find some patches that are editing these interface
combinations in order to allow IBSS + AP for some drivers (e.g. ath5k or
ath9k..).

This behaviour is not supported upstream for several reasons, therefore if you
look in the kernel source you will never find a combination allowing the
aforementioned schema.

Cheers,

--
Antonio Quartulli

..each of us alone is worth nothing..
Ernesto "Che" Guevara

* Re: [B.A.T.M.A.N.] single radio routers and ap/adhoc interfaces
@ 2013-06-26 18:18   ` Steve Song
From: Steve Song @ 2013-06-26 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The list for a Better Approach To Mobile Ad-hoc Networking

On 26 June 2013 15:02, Antonio Quartulli <ordex@autistici.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 01:30:18PM -0400, jonsmirl@gmail.com wrote:
>> I'd like to setup batman up on single radio routers. I've installed
>> openwrt on three different chipsets now (RT3050, RT5350, AR9331) and
>> none of these wireless drivers implements support for simultaneous
>> adhoc and ap mode on virtual interfaces.
>>
>> Yet when I google around I see lots of examples of people using single
>> radio routers with dual adhoc and ap mode virtual interfaces.  So
>> which radios support simultaneous adhoc/ap mode?
>>
>> From AR9331...
>> valid interface combinations:
>> * #{ managed, WDS, P2P-client } <= 2048, #{ AP, mesh point, P2P-GO }
>> <= 8, #{ IBSS } <= 1,
>>   total <= 2048, #channels <= 1, STA/AP BI must match
>> * #{ AP } <= 1,
>>   total <= 1, #channels <= 1, STA/AP BI must match, radar detect
>> widths: { 20 MHz (no HT), 20 MHz }
>
> Am I wrong or AR9331 is handled by the ath5k driver?
>
> However in openwrt you will find some patches that are editing these interface
> combinations in order to allow IBSS + AP for some drivers (e.g. ath5k or
> ath9k..).
>
> This behaviour is not supported upstream for several reasons, therefore if you
> look in the kernel source you will never find a combination allowing the
> aforementioned schema.

The AR9331 supports simultaneous IBSS and AP mode.  If your AR9331
device happens to be a TP-Link WR703n, you can download a firmware
with batman-adv configured for both modes at
http://download.villagetelco.org/firmware/secn/unstable/tp-link/SECN-2/SECN-2.0-RC1/openwrt-ar71xx-generic-tl-wr703n-v1-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin
 Alternatively if you'd just like to have a look the configuration
files, you can see them at
https://github.com/villagetelco/vt-firmware/tree/development/SECN-build/files/etc/config

Regards... Steve Song

--
Steve Song
+1 902 529 0046

* Re: [B.A.T.M.A.N.] single radio routers and ap/adhoc interfaces
@ 2013-06-26 18:36     ` jonsmirl
From: jonsmirl @ 2013-06-26 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: steve, The list for a Better Approach To Mobile Ad-hoc Networking

On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 2:18 PM, Steve Song <steve@villagetelco.org> wrote:
> On 26 June 2013 15:02, Antonio Quartulli <ordex@autistici.org> wrote:
>> On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 01:30:18PM -0400, jonsmirl@gmail.com wrote:
>>> I'd like to setup batman up on single radio routers. I've installed
>>> openwrt on three different chipsets now (RT3050, RT5350, AR9331) and
>>> none of these wireless drivers implements support for simultaneous
>>> adhoc and ap mode on virtual interfaces.
>>>
>>> Yet when I google around I see lots of examples of people using single
>>> radio routers with dual adhoc and ap mode virtual interfaces.  So
>>> which radios support simultaneous adhoc/ap mode?
>>>
>>> From AR9331...
>>> valid interface combinations:
>>> * #{ managed, WDS, P2P-client } <= 2048, #{ AP, mesh point, P2P-GO }
>>> <= 8, #{ IBSS } <= 1,
>>>   total <= 2048, #channels <= 1, STA/AP BI must match
>>> * #{ AP } <= 1,
>>>   total <= 1, #channels <= 1, STA/AP BI must match, radar detect
>>> widths: { 20 MHz (no HT), 20 MHz }
>>
>> Am I wrong or AR9331 is handled by the ath5k driver?
>>
>> However in openwrt you will find some patches that are editing these interface
>> combinations in order to allow IBSS + AP for some drivers (e.g. ath5k or
>> ath9k..).
>>
>> This behaviour is not supported upstream for several reasons, therefore if you
>> look in the kernel source you will never find a combination allowing the
>> aforementioned schema.
>
> The AR9331 supports simultaneous IBSS and AP mode.  If your AR9331
> device happens to be a TP-Link WR703n, you can download a firmware
> with batman-adv configured for both modes at
> http://download.villagetelco.org/firmware/secn/unstable/tp-link/SECN-2/SECN-2.0-RC1/openwrt-ar71xx-generic-tl-wr703n-v1-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin
>  Alternatively if you'd just like to have a look the configuration
> files, you can see them at
> https://github.com/villagetelco/vt-firmware/tree/development/SECN-build/files/etc/config

I tired these config files on the OpenWRT for AR9331 I had built from
git source. They don't work because of the simultaneous ap/adhoc
issue.

So.. your binary must be built from a modified OpenWRT source.
Probably using those patches Antonio referred to. Next I need to track
down those patches...

I have a some WR703n devices. Is there a link to the source you used
to make the binary?

--

@ 2013-06-26 18:38     ` jonsmirl
From: jonsmirl @ 2013-06-26 18:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: steve, The list for a Better Approach To Mobile Ad-hoc Networking

On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 2:18 PM, Steve Song <steve@villagetelco.org> wrote:
> On 26 June 2013 15:02, Antonio Quartulli <ordex@autistici.org> wrote:
>> On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 01:30:18PM -0400, jonsmirl@gmail.com wrote:
>>> I'd like to setup batman up on single radio routers. I've installed
>>> openwrt on three different chipsets now (RT3050, RT5350, AR9331) and
>>> none of these wireless drivers implements support for simultaneous
>>> adhoc and ap mode on virtual interfaces.

Is it a bad idea to run batman over the STA/AP mode type interfaces?

--

@ 2013-06-26 18:45       ` Antonio Quartulli
From: Antonio Quartulli @ 2013-06-26 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The list for a Better Approach To Mobile Ad-hoc Networking

On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 02:36:50PM -0400, jonsmirl@gmail.com wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 2:18 PM, Steve Song <steve@villagetelco.org> wrote:
> > On 26 June 2013 15:02, Antonio Quartulli <ordex@autistici.org> wrote:
> >> On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 01:30:18PM -0400, jonsmirl@gmail.com wrote:

> I tired these config files on the OpenWRT for AR9331 I had built from
> git source. They don't work because of the simultaneous ap/adhoc
> issue.
>
> So.. your binary must be built from a modified OpenWRT source.
> Probably using those patches Antonio referred to. Next I need to track
> down those patches...

Those patches _are_ in openwrt already. I'd suggest to try to create the
interface manually first (from the console) and see what error you get.

--

@ 2013-06-26 18:46       ` Antonio Quartulli
From: Antonio Quartulli @ 2013-06-26 18:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The list for a Better Approach To Mobile Ad-hoc Networking

On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 02:38:16PM -0400, jonsmirl@gmail.com wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 2:18 PM, Steve Song <steve@villagetelco.org> wrote:
>
> Is it a bad idea to run batman over the STA/AP mode type interfaces?

batman-adv supports it. From the batman-adv prospective there is no problem. The
important thing is that you know what you are doing and that you take care of
properly configuring the underlying layer (e.g. Isolation of the client should
be enabled, imho).

--

@ 2013-06-26 18:49       ` Steve Song
From: Steve Song @ 2013-06-26 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The list for a Better Approach To Mobile Ad-hoc Networking

On 26 June 2013 15:36, jonsmirl@gmail.com <jonsmirl@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 2:18 PM, Steve Song <steve@villagetelco.org> wrote:

>>> Am I wrong or AR9331 is handled by the ath5k driver?
>>>
>>> However in openwrt you will find some patches that are editing these interface
>>> combinations in order to allow IBSS + AP for some drivers (e.g. ath5k or
>>> ath9k..).
>>>
>>> This behaviour is not supported upstream for several reasons, therefore if you
>>> look in the kernel source you will never find a combination allowing the
>>> aforementioned schema.
>>
>> The AR9331 supports simultaneous IBSS and AP mode.  If your AR9331
>> device happens to be a TP-Link WR703n, you can download a firmware
>> with batman-adv configured for both modes at
>> http://download.villagetelco.org/firmware/secn/unstable/tp-link/SECN-2/SECN-2.0-RC1/openwrt-ar71xx-generic-tl-wr703n-v1-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin
>>  Alternatively if you'd just like to have a look the configuration
>> files, you can see them at
>> https://github.com/villagetelco/vt-firmware/tree/development/SECN-build/files/etc/config
>
> I tired these config files on the OpenWRT for AR9331 I had built from
> git source. They don't work because of the simultaneous ap/adhoc
> issue.
>
> So.. your binary must be built from a modified OpenWRT source.
> Probably using those patches Antonio referred to. Next I need to track
> down those patches...
>
> I have a some WR703n devices. Is there a link to the source you used
> to make the binary?

We use a stock AA OpenWRT distribution (RC1 currently I think).  All
modifications to it are contained in the Github repo at
https://github.com/villagetelco/vt-firmware  We have instructions on
setting up a build environment at
http://wiki.villagetelco.org/How_To_Set_Up_a_SECN_Build_Environment

-Steve

--
Steve Song
+1 902 529 0046

* Re: [B.A.T.M.A.N.] single radio routers and ap/adhoc interfaces
@ 2013-06-26 18:56         ` jonsmirl
From: jonsmirl @ 2013-06-26 18:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: steve, The list for a Better Approach To Mobile Ad-hoc Networking

On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 2:49 PM, Steve Song <steve@villagetelco.org> wrote:
> We use a stock AA OpenWRT distribution (RC1 currently I think).  All
> modifications to it are contained in the Github repo at
> https://github.com/villagetelco/vt-firmware  We have instructions on
> setting up a build environment at
> http://wiki.villagetelco.org/How_To_Set_Up_a_SECN_Build_Environment

Maybe it has gotten broken in OpenWRT trunk. There was a large
backport recently added to the kernel tree.

When I active the alternate interfaces they won't let the other one come up.

root@OpenWrt:/etc/config#
root@OpenWrt:/etc/config# ifconfig ap0 up
ifconfig: SIOCSIFFLAGS: Device or resource busy
root@OpenWrt:/etc/config#
root@OpenWrt:/etc/config# ifconfig adhoc0 down
[ 2510.510000] batman_adv: bat0: Interface deactivated: adhoc0
root@OpenWrt:/etc/config# ifconfig ap0 up
root@OpenWrt:/etc/config# ifconfig adhoc0 up
ifconfig: SIOCSIFFLAGS: Device or resource busy
root@OpenWrt:/etc/config#

In my 'iw phy' output:

valid interface combinations:
* #{ managed, WDS, P2P-client } <= 2048, #{ AP, mesh point, P2P-GO }
<= 8, #{ IBSS } <= 1,
  total <= 2048, #channels <= 1, STA/AP BI must match
* #{ AP } <= 1,
  total <= 1, #channels <= 1, STA/AP BI must match, radar detect
widths: { 20 MHz (no HT), 20 MHz }

How do you interpret this? It this saying one IBSS plus up to eight AP?

--

@ 2013-06-26 19:01           ` Antonio Quartulli
From: Antonio Quartulli @ 2013-06-26 19:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The list for a Better Approach To Mobile Ad-hoc Networking

On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 02:56:06PM -0400, jonsmirl@gmail.com wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 2:49 PM, Steve Song <steve@villagetelco.org> wrote:
> > We use a stock AA OpenWRT distribution (RC1 currently I think).  All
> > modifications to it are contained in the Github repo at
> > https://github.com/villagetelco/vt-firmware  We have instructions on
> > setting up a build environment at
> > http://wiki.villagetelco.org/How_To_Set_Up_a_SECN_Build_Environment
>
> Maybe it has gotten broken in OpenWRT trunk. There was a large
> backport recently added to the kernel tree.
>
> When I active the alternate interfaces they won't let the other one come up.
>
> root@OpenWrt:/etc/config#
> root@OpenWrt:/etc/config# ifconfig ap0 up
> ifconfig: SIOCSIFFLAGS: Device or resource busy
> root@OpenWrt:/etc/config#
> root@OpenWrt:/etc/config# ifconfig adhoc0 down
> [ 2510.510000] batman_adv: bat0: Interface deactivated: adhoc0
> root@OpenWrt:/etc/config# ifconfig ap0 up
> root@OpenWrt:/etc/config# ifconfig adhoc0 up
> ifconfig: SIOCSIFFLAGS: Device or resource busy
> root@OpenWrt:/etc/config#
>
> In my 'iw phy' output:
>
> valid interface combinations:
> * #{ managed, WDS, P2P-client } <= 2048, #{ AP, mesh point, P2P-GO }
> <= 8, #{ IBSS } <= 1,
>   total <= 2048, #channels <= 1, STA/AP BI must match
> * #{ AP } <= 1,
>   total <= 1, #channels <= 1, STA/AP BI must match, radar detect
> widths: { 20 MHz (no HT), 20 MHz }
>
> How do you interpret this? It this saying one IBSS plus up to eight AP?

Seems so.
Maybe you should directly ask on the openwrt mailing list/channel?
They may know what to do.

Cheers,

--

@ 2013-06-26 19:02           ` jonsmirl
From: jonsmirl @ 2013-06-26 19:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: steve, The list for a Better Approach To Mobile Ad-hoc Networking

I'll load Steve's binary into a TP link next as a test to compare with.

--

@ 2013-06-26 20:21             ` jonsmirl
From: jonsmirl @ 2013-06-26 20:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The list for a Better Approach To Mobile Ad-hoc Networking

On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 3:01 PM, Antonio Quartulli <ordex@autistici.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 02:56:06PM -0400, jonsmirl@gmail.com wrote:
>> On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 2:49 PM, Steve Song <steve@villagetelco.org> wrote:
>> > We use a stock AA OpenWRT distribution (RC1 currently I think).  All
>> > modifications to it are contained in the Github repo at
>> > https://github.com/villagetelco/vt-firmware  We have instructions on
>> > setting up a build environment at
>> > http://wiki.villagetelco.org/How_To_Set_Up_a_SECN_Build_Environment
>>
>> Maybe it has gotten broken in OpenWRT trunk. There was a large
>> backport recently added to the kernel tree.
>>
>> When I active the alternate interfaces they won't let the other one come up.
>>
>> root@OpenWrt:/etc/config#
>> root@OpenWrt:/etc/config# ifconfig ap0 up
>> ifconfig: SIOCSIFFLAGS: Device or resource busy
>> root@OpenWrt:/etc/config#
>> root@OpenWrt:/etc/config# ifconfig adhoc0 down
>> [ 2510.510000] batman_adv: bat0: Interface deactivated: adhoc0
>> root@OpenWrt:/etc/config# ifconfig ap0 up
>> root@OpenWrt:/etc/config# ifconfig adhoc0 up
>> ifconfig: SIOCSIFFLAGS: Device or resource busy
>> root@OpenWrt:/etc/config#
>>
>> In my 'iw phy' output:
>>
>> valid interface combinations:
>> * #{ managed, WDS, P2P-client } <= 2048, #{ AP, mesh point, P2P-GO }
>> <= 8, #{ IBSS } <= 1,
>>   total <= 2048, #channels <= 1, STA/AP BI must match
>> * #{ AP } <= 1,
>>   total <= 1, #channels <= 1, STA/AP BI must match, radar detect
>> widths: { 20 MHz (no HT), 20 MHz }

I have Steve's image running 'iw phy' report this:

valid interface combinations:
* #{ managed, WDS, P2P-client } <= 2048, #{ IBSS, AP, mesh point, P2P-GO } <= 8,
  total <= 2048, #channels <= 1

Which says I can mix AP and IBSS mode.  So it appear that OpenWRT
trunk has been broken.

--

@ 2013-06-26 21:45 ` cmsv
From: cmsv @ 2013-06-26 21:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jonsmirl; +Cc: The list for a Better Approach To Mobile Ad-hoc Networking

I am not sure what are you trying to do with the info yuo have showed...
but it kind looks that someone is not reading important documentation.

AR72* should not cause you any problems.
You need to consult openwrt wiki for driver support and not batman-adv
wiki. Driver support is openwrt business.

The are the routers i currently use :

 D-Link DIR-615  C1 Atheros AR9130 rev 2
 D-Link DIR-615   E1 Atheros AR7240 rev 2
 D-Link DIR-600   A1 Atheros AR7240 rev 2
 D-Link DIR-601   A1 Atheros AR7240 rev 2
 TP-Link WR740N  1:10 Atheros AR7240 rev 2
 TP-Link WR841N  8.3 Atheros AR7240 rev 2
 TP-Link WR841ND  5.4 Atheros AR7240 rev 2
 TP-Link WR741ND  1.5 Atheros AR7240 rev 2
 TP-Link WR1043ND  1.5 Atheros AR9132 rev 2

They all allow a few virtual interfaces.
I have use them with 3 interfaces:
The only thing i am not able to do is to have 2 adhoc interfaces.

Example:
config wifi-device      radio0
        option type     mac80211
        option channel  6
        option phy      phy0
        option hwmode   11ng
        option country  PT
        option noscan    1
        option disabled  0
        option diversity 0
        option rxantenna 2
        option txantenna 2
        option txpower   20
        option beacon_int 1000
        option distance   2000
        option htmode  HT20

# Wireless AP

# Wireless Mesh
config wifi-iface
        option device   radio0
        option ifname   adhoc0
        option network  mesh
        option mode     adhoc
        option bssid    (your bssid)
        option ssid     mesh.wirelesspt.net
        option hidden   0
        option 'macfilter' 'allow'
        option encryption none

config wifi-iface
        option device   radio0
        option ifname   wlan0
        option network  lan
        option mode     ap
        option ssid     moitasvenda.wirelesspt.net
        option hidden   0
        option encryption none

# Wireless WDS

        config wifi-iface
        option device   radio0
        option ifname   wds0
        option network  lan
        option mode     ap
        option wds      0
        option ssid     wds.wirelesspt.net
        option hidden   0

There is a translation bar on my wiki.
Choose your language and browse batman-adv.

http://wirelesspt.net/wiki

On 06/26/2013 01:30 PM, jonsmirl@gmail.com wrote:
> I'd like to setup batman up on single radio routers. I've installed
> openwrt on three different chipsets now (RT3050, RT5350, AR9331) and
> none of these wireless drivers implements support for simultaneous
> adhoc and ap mode on virtual interfaces.
>
> Yet when I google around I see lots of examples of people using single
> radio routers with dual adhoc and ap mode virtual interfaces.  So
> which radios support simultaneous adhoc/ap mode?
>
>>From AR9331...
> valid interface combinations:
> * #{ managed, WDS, P2P-client } <= 2048, #{ AP, mesh point, P2P-GO }
> <= 8, #{ IBSS } <= 1,
>   total <= 2048, #channels <= 1, STA/AP BI must match
> * #{ AP } <= 1,
>   total <= 1, #channels <= 1, STA/AP BI must match, radar detect
> widths: { 20 MHz (no HT), 20 MHz }
>

> --
> Jon Smirl
> jonsmirl@gmail.com
> .

[-- Attachment #1.2: 0x782BF73E.asc --]

* Re: [B.A.T.M.A.N.] single radio routers and ap/adhoc interfaces
@ 2013-06-26 22:39   ` jonsmirl
From: jonsmirl @ 2013-06-26 22:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cmsv; +Cc: The list for a Better Approach To Mobile Ad-hoc Networking

On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 5:45 PM, cmsv <cmsv@wirelesspt.net> wrote:
> I am not sure what are you trying to do with the info yuo have showed...
> but it kind looks that someone is not reading important documentation.
>
> AR72* should not cause you any problems.
> You need to consult openwrt wiki for driver support and not batman-adv
> wiki. Driver support is openwrt business.

It looks like OpenWRT trunk is broken. I just sent this out on the
OpenWRT list but I haven't received a response yet. When I loaded
Steve image the hardware worked as expected.

IBBS seems to have dropped out of the valid mode combinations...
This is preventing use of batman on dual AP/adhoc nodes.

On an older AR9331 build..

root@TP-20:/etc# uname -a
Linux TP-20 3.3.8 #204 Tue Jun 18 08:55:58 EST 2013 mips GNU/Linux

iw list
valid interface combinations:
* #{ managed, WDS, P2P-client } <= 2048, #{ IBSS, AP, mesh point, P2P-GO } <= 8,
  total <= 2048, #channels <= 1

Now on the current openwrt trunk...

root@OpenWrt:/etc/config# iw list
Wiphy phy0

@ 2013-06-26 22:59     ` Gui Iribarren
From: Gui Iribarren @ 2013-06-26 22:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The list for a Better Approach To Mobile Ad-hoc Networking

On 06/26/2013 07:39 PM, jonsmirl@gmail.com wrote:

> It looks like OpenWRT trunk is broken. I just sent this out on the
> OpenWRT list but I haven't received a response yet. When I loaded
> Steve image the hardware worked as expected.

Bleeding edge often hurts :-/

(Thanks for sending that report to openwrt-devel!)

The last trunk i tried and didn't find blocker bugs was r36139
With r36655 we experienced severe instability of ath9k wifi, and rolled
back to r36139. Haven't tried more recent trunks than that yet.

hope that helps :)

about ap/sta mode:

On 06/26/2013 03:46 PM, Antonio Quartulli wrote:> On Wed, Jun 26, 2013
at 02:38:16PM -0400, jonsmirl@gmail.com wrote:
 >> Is it a bad idea to run batman over the STA/AP mode type interfaces?
 >
 > batman-adv supports it. From the batman-adv prospective there is no
problem. The
 > important thing is that you know what you are doing and that you take
care of
 > properly configuring the underlying layer (e.g. Isolation of the
client should
 > be enabled, imho).

We agree :) we use this approach with *ath9k_htc* devices (usb dongles)
which still suffer bugs in adhoc mode.

http://blog.altermundi.net/article/batman-adv-ap-mode-with-isolation-enabled/

Cheers!