b.a.t.m.a.n.lists.open-mesh.org archive mirror
* [B.A.T.M.A.N.] batman-adv  and 802.xx
@ 2014-02-17 15:29 Harms, Hannes
From: Harms, Hannes @ 2014-02-17 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: b.a.t.m.a.n

Dear list,

I have a problems to understand whre are the borders of batman-adv.
For exampel if I use enddvices that support 802.n, I will achive a
higher throughput than with 802.g devices.
I tested this in practice.
But what happens if I use devices that support 802.ac ?
Will the throughput also be higher in my network, and would the devices
use beamforming?
I assume that all devices in the network are the same.

Best regrads and thanks for your time
Hannes

* Re: [B.A.T.M.A.N.] batman-adv  and 802.xx
@ 2014-02-17 16:45 ` fboehm
From: fboehm @ 2014-02-17 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: b.a.t.m.a.n

Am 17.02.14 16:29, schrieb Harms, Hannes:

> Dear list,
>
> I have a problems to understand whre are the borders of batman-adv.
> For exampel if I use enddvices that support 802.n, I will achive a
> higher throughput than with 802.g devices.
> I tested this in practice.
> But what happens if I use devices that support 802.ac ?
> Will the throughput also be higher in my network, and would the devices
> use beamforming?
> I assume that all devices in the network are the same.
>
> Best regrads and thanks for your time
> Hannes

Features that control/improve the throughput like beamforming or
rate-control aren't influenced by batman-adv. Those are features inside
the wireless driver. Just between batman-adv and the PHY-Layer in the
network stack.

I might not have enough experience with 802.11ac devices but if you have
a large scale outdoor network with big distances between your nodes
(hundreds of meters to kilometers) there might be not a big difference
between 802.11ac and 802.11n.

But if it's a smaller scale indoor network with lower distances and
lower noise floor there should be a higher throughput with 802.11ac.

Kind regards,
Franz