b.a.t.m.a.n.lists.open-mesh.org archive mirror
* [B.A.T.M.A.N.] Quickly setup a virtual B.A.T.M.A.N. network
@ 2015-09-11 11:15 Germano Massullo
From: Germano Massullo @ 2015-09-11 11:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: b.a.t.m.a.n

Hello, I need to setup a virtual environment with various nodes that
is ready for testing B.A.T.M.A.N. and Alfred. Is there anything that I
can use to quickly create such network?
I successfully created and runned Alfred and B.A.T.M.A.N. on a Fedora
virtual machine, but I cannot setup a real batman-adv network with
real nodes right now but I would still like to be able to test and
work on Alfred.

Best regards
Germano Massullo

* Re: [B.A.T.M.A.N.] Quickly setup a virtual B.A.T.M.A.N. network
@ 2015-09-11 11:27 ` Simon Wunderlich
From: Simon Wunderlich @ 2015-09-11 11:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: b.a.t.m.a.n

Hey Germano,

please check out this webpage:

https://www.open-mesh.org/projects/open-mesh/wiki/Emulation

we use this for developing stuff, too. The idea is to interconnect a couple of
KVM virtual machines running OpenWRT using vde_switch. With that, you can
easily run ~20 nodes on one PC with arbitrary topologies.

Cheers,
    Simon

@ 2015-09-11 15:46   ` Hans-Werner Hilse
From: Hans-Werner Hilse @ 2015-09-11 15:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The list for a Better Approach To Mobile Ad-hoc Networking

Hi,

also, I humbly point at my approach to run batman-adv in, errr,
userland. Well, sorta. I use user mode linux (UML).

https://github.com/hwhw/usermode-batman-adv

It builds a UML kernel with a very basic userland (errr, the one inside
the UML, that is). The kernel is targeted at providing networking
support, batman-adv, and not really much more.

VDE networking is possible, too.

I'm currently busy with my exams, so it is slightly outdated (as in 1-2
months behind current development), but it should work fine.

I worked on this with the aim to maybe even bring this into production
use, as we're using KVM based servers in the first place in our
"Freifunk" mesh project here, and isolating B.A.T.M.A.N. in a userspace
instance has its own merits (none of that being "performance").

I sucessfully ran, I think, about 80-100 instances? As a single instance
needs about 20-32 MByte of memory, that is the limiting factor.

-hwh

@ 2015-09-13 13:51     ` Germano Massullo
From: Germano Massullo @ 2015-09-13 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: b.a.t.m.a.n