b.a.t.m.a.n.lists.open-mesh.org archive mirror
* [B.A.T.M.A.N.] DAT broken in 2014.4.0?
@ 2015-03-13  7:28 Andreas Pape
From: Andreas Pape @ 2015-03-13  7:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: b.a.t.m.a.n

Is there a known issue conerning the DAT functionality in batman-adv
2014.4.0?

I have got a problem with looping ARP packets / multiplication of ARP
packets causing ARP storms in a setup with enabled DAT and BLA. My setup
consists of 6 mesh nodes of which 3 are connected to the same backbone
network. I connected a PC to the backbone which has an open ssh connection
to one ot the mesh nodes not connected to the backbone network directly.
Using arp -d to delete the ARP cache of the Windows PC forces the PC to
send an ARP request to the mesh node used for the ssh session. I can then
see multiple copies of that ARP request in the backbone in a wireshark
recording and also multiple ARP replies from the mesh node.
Sometimes also BLA gratuitous ARP telegrams seem to be looping, but it's
easier to force this behaviour with regular ARPs (via arp -d on a PC).
Non-ARP telegrams don't seem to be affected and except the waste of
bandwith in the mesh and backbone I don't have problems with normal
network communication in the mesh.

I could provide the mentioned wireshark recordings made in the backbone
network with a switch using port mirroring if someone explains how to
provide such a file to the mailing list (I guess simple attachments are
not allowed?).

If I disable DAT, everything looks fine again, i.e. no duplicated ARP
telegrams anymore (except for a few ARP replies from the mesh node which
are received twice, which could be a race for claiming the device?)..

Regards,
Andreas

PHOENIX CONTACT ELECTRONICS GmbH

Sitz der Gesellschaft / registered office of the company: 31812 Bad Pyrmont
USt-Id-Nr.: DE811742156
Amtsgericht Hannover HRB 100528 / district court Hannover HRB 100528
Geschäftsführer / Executive Board: Roland Bent, Dr. Martin Heubeck
Diese E-Mail enthält vertrauliche und/oder rechtlich geschützte Informationen. Wenn Sie nicht der richtige Adressat sind oder diese E-Mail irrtümlich erhalten haben, informieren Sie bitte sofort den Absender und vernichten Sie diese Mail. Das unerlaubte Kopieren, jegliche anderweitige Verwendung sowie die unbefugte Weitergabe dieser Mail ist nicht gestattet.
This e-mail may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient (or have received this e-mail in error) please notify the sender immediately and destroy this e-mail. Any unauthorized copying, disclosure, distribution or other use of the material or parts thereof is strictly forbidden.

* Re: [B.A.T.M.A.N.] DAT broken in 2014.4.0?
@ 2015-03-13 11:52 ` Antonio Quartulli
From: Antonio Quartulli @ 2015-03-13 11:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The list for a Better Approach To Mobile Ad-hoc Networking

Hi Andreas,

so far we don't have any known DAT regression in 2014.4.0.

Could you please provide a more detailed description about your setup
including how the nodes have their bridges configured and what
interfaces have been added to batman-adv?

Thanks!

On 13/03/15 08:28, Andreas Pape wrote:
> Is there a known issue conerning the DAT functionality in batman-adv
> 2014.4.0?
>
> I have got a problem with looping ARP packets / multiplication of ARP
> packets causing ARP storms in a setup with enabled DAT and BLA. My setup
> consists of 6 mesh nodes of which 3 are connected to the same backbone
> network. I connected a PC to the backbone which has an open ssh connection
> to one ot the mesh nodes not connected to the backbone network directly.
> Using arp -d to delete the ARP cache of the Windows PC forces the PC to
> send an ARP request to the mesh node used for the ssh session. I can then
> see multiple copies of that ARP request in the backbone in a wireshark
> recording and also multiple ARP replies from the mesh node.
> Sometimes also BLA gratuitous ARP telegrams seem to be looping, but it's
> easier to force this behaviour with regular ARPs (via arp -d on a PC).
> Non-ARP telegrams don't seem to be affected and except the waste of
> bandwith in the mesh and backbone I don't have problems with normal
> network communication in the mesh.
>
> I could provide the mentioned wireshark recordings made in the backbone
> network with a switch using port mirroring if someone explains how to
> provide such a file to the mailing list (I guess simple attachments are
> not allowed?).
>
> If I disable DAT, everything looks fine again, i.e. no duplicated ARP
> telegrams anymore (except for a few ARP replies from the mesh node which
> are received twice, which could be a race for claiming the device?)..
>
> Regards,
> Andreas

> PHOENIX CONTACT ELECTRONICS GmbH
>
> Sitz der Gesellschaft / registered office of the company: 31812 Bad Pyrmont
> USt-Id-Nr.: DE811742156
> Amtsgericht Hannover HRB 100528 / district court Hannover HRB 100528
> Geschäftsführer / Executive Board: Roland Bent, Dr. Martin Heubeck
> Diese E-Mail enthält vertrauliche und/oder rechtlich geschützte Informationen. Wenn Sie nicht der richtige Adressat sind oder diese E-Mail irrtümlich erhalten haben, informieren Sie bitte sofort den Absender und vernichten Sie diese Mail. Das unerlaubte Kopieren, jegliche anderweitige Verwendung sowie die unbefugte Weitergabe dieser Mail ist nicht gestattet.
> This e-mail may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient (or have received this e-mail in error) please notify the sender immediately and destroy this e-mail. Any unauthorized copying, disclosure, distribution or other use of the material or parts thereof is strictly forbidden.

Antonio Quartulli

* Re: [B.A.T.M.A.N.] DAT broken in 2014.4.0?
@ 2015-03-13 14:35   ` Andreas Pape
From: Andreas Pape @ 2015-03-13 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The list for a Better Approach To Mobile Ad-hoc Networking

Hello Antonio,

my mesh nodes use a wlan interface in adhoc mode as the only hard_if in
bat0. bat0 is bridged to a Linux bridge br0 together with the Ethernet
interface eth0. The wlan interface ath0 is not part of that bridge. The
only interface having an ip address assigned is the bridge br0.

As mentioned I use 6 mesh nodes of that described setup of which 3 are
only accessible via the mesh (eth0 interface not connected to any other
Ethernet device) and 3 devices are connected with their eth Interfaces to
the same Ethernet switch. The Windows PC is also connected to that same
switch.

I am using batman-adv 2014.4.0 in combination with a fairly old Linux
kernel 2.6.32.26 on an embedded device. If I enable BLA and DAT and send a
ping from the Windows PC to one of the mesh nodes which is not connected
to the Ethernet backbone, I see a multiplication of the ARP request sent
by the PC and even a higher amount of corresponding ARP replies in the
backbone network of which I am not sure, how much of them are really sent
by the mesh node being the original destination for the ARP request.
Furthermore I get lots of "bat0: received packet with own address as
source address" and some "eth0: received ...." kernel log messages in that
case as soon as the PC sends the first broadcast ARP request (after the
mentioned arp -d command).

If I disable DAT on all of my 6 devices the ARP telegrams being visible in
the backbone network look normal to me. There is only one broadcast ARP
request from the PC and only one ARP reply.

In the meantime I enabled dat debug messages on one of my gateways between
the ethernet backbone and the mesh. After clearing the ARP cache of the PC
by the arp -d command, I see the following output of batctl l

Parsing outgoing ARP REQUEST
ARP MSG : [src: <mac of the PC> - 192.168.0.50 dst: 00:00:00:00:00:00 -
192.168.0.101]
Entry updated 192.168.0.50 <mac of the PC>
ARP request replied locally
ARP Request for 192.168.0.101: fallback prevented
Parsing incoming ARP REPLY
ARP MSG: [src: <mac of the mesh node> - 192.168.0.101 dst: <mac of the PC>
- 192.168.0.50]
* encapsulated within a UNICAST packet
Entry updated: 192.168.0.101 <mac of the mesh node>
Entry updated: 192.168.0.50 <mac of the PC>

followed by a flood of additional messages of similiar kind. From this
logging and from what I understood so far about bla and dat from
open-mesh.org and a short look into the source code I conclude, that the
gateway knew already the mac the PC was looking for ("ARP request replied
locally") and did not forward it as a broadcast into the mesh.
Nevertheless the gateway received an ARP reply from the mesh. I guess the
original ARP request broadcast was forwarded at least by one of the
remaining two backbone gateways into the mesh and a reply was sent by
someone else (another mesh node with enabled dat or the mesh node being
searched for).

This leads me to the question if using dat and a bla setup in combination
is considered by design and if this should work or if dat is only
reasonable to be used when a backbone network has a single gateway into
the mesh (as depicted in the dat wiki on open-mesh.org) only.

Thanks for the support and regards,
Andreas

Von:    Antonio Quartulli <antonio@meshcoding.com>
An:     The list for a Better Approach To Mobile Ad-hoc Networking
<b.a.t.m.a.n@lists.open-mesh.org>,
Datum:  13.03.2015 13:22
Betreff:        Re: [B.A.T.M.A.N.] DAT broken in 2014.4.0?
Gesendet von:   "B.A.T.M.A.N" <b.a.t.m.a.n-bounces@lists.open-mesh.org>

Hi Andreas,

so far we don't have any known DAT regression in 2014.4.0.

Could you please provide a more detailed description about your setup
including how the nodes have their bridges configured and what
interfaces have been added to batman-adv?

Thanks!

On 13/03/15 08:28, Andreas Pape wrote:
> Is there a known issue conerning the DAT functionality in batman-adv
> 2014.4.0?
>
> I have got a problem with looping ARP packets / multiplication of ARP
> packets causing ARP storms in a setup with enabled DAT and BLA. My setup

> consists of 6 mesh nodes of which 3 are connected to the same backbone
> network. I connected a PC to the backbone which has an open ssh
connection
> to one ot the mesh nodes not connected to the backbone network directly.

> Using arp -d to delete the ARP cache of the Windows PC forces the PC to
> send an ARP request to the mesh node used for the ssh session. I can
then
> see multiple copies of that ARP request in the backbone in a wireshark
> recording and also multiple ARP replies from the mesh node.
> Sometimes also BLA gratuitous ARP telegrams seem to be looping, but it's

> easier to force this behaviour with regular ARPs (via arp -d on a PC).
> Non-ARP telegrams don't seem to be affected and except the waste of
> bandwith in the mesh and backbone I don't have problems with normal
> network communication in the mesh.
>
> I could provide the mentioned wireshark recordings made in the backbone
> network with a switch using port mirroring if someone explains how to
> provide such a file to the mailing list (I guess simple attachments are
> not allowed?).
>
> If I disable DAT, everything looks fine again, i.e. no duplicated ARP
> telegrams anymore (except for a few ARP replies from the mesh node which

> are received twice, which could be a race for claiming the device?)..
>
> Regards,
> Andreas

> PHOENIX CONTACT ELECTRONICS GmbH
>
> Sitz der Gesellschaft / registered office of the company: 31812 Bad
Pyrmont
> USt-Id-Nr.: DE811742156
> Amtsgericht Hannover HRB 100528 / district court Hannover HRB 100528
> Geschäftsführer / Executive Board: Roland Bent, Dr. Martin Heubeck
vernichten Sie diese Mail. Das unerlaubte Kopieren, jegliche anderweitige
Verwendung sowie die unbefugte Weitergabe dieser Mail ist nicht gestattet.

you are not the intended recipient (or have received this e-mail in error)
unauthorized copying, disclosure, distribution or other use of the
material or parts thereof is strictly forbidden.

Antonio Quartulli

[Anhang "signature.asc" gelöscht von Andreas Pape/Phoenix Contact]

@ 2015-03-18 10:45     ` Andreas Pape
From: Andreas Pape @ 2015-03-18 10:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The list for a Better Approach To Mobile Ad-hoc Networking

In the meantime I digged a little deeper into this. DAT as such works but
has some side effects on the backbone network in a setup like mine with
several mesh nodes connected to the same backbone network and bla enabled.
I see two main issues:

1. The original broadcast ARP request sent by the PC is looping back into
the backbone network. As far as I have figured out this comes from the
encapsulation of the original ARP broadcast into a BATADV_UNICAST_4ADDR
frame, which is not handled by the bla code responsible for preventing
looping broadcasts as for bla this is a unicast frame.
2. All ARP replies are forwarded into the backbone by all possible
gateways. If a gateway gets responses of up to 3 remote dat candidates,
the total number of seen arp replies becomes 3 times the number of
gateways used.

I am not sure, if this is specific to the old kernel version I used, but I
tried to overcome the two mentioned points with the following measures:
1. drop BATADV_UNICAST_4ADDR DHT_GET frames received from another gateway
as long as we cannot answer the forwarded arp request.
2. make sure, that only a gateway which has claimed the src mac of an arp
reply forwards this reply to the backbone network
3. drop received arp replies as soon as we have a local dat entry for the
src mac of the arp reply. In this case it is most likely that the device
has already sent a reply.

With these measures I see a "clean" arp request / reply behaviour in the
backbone network. As a further improvement I added the snooping of all
incoming IP traffic on the mesh soft interface. I use the src mac and src
IP to update the local dat cache. I wanted to achieve as low arp
request/reply and connected broadcast traffic in the mesh as possible.

If there is interest I could send a patch file to the mailing list with
the changes based on the batman-adv git master. But I warn you in front: I
am not a very skilled kernel programmer nor do I have any experience in
using git ;-)

Regards,
Andreas

"B.A.T.M.A.N" <b.a.t.m.a.n-bounces@lists.open-mesh.org> schrieb am