b.a.t.m.a.n.lists.open-mesh.org archive mirror
* [B.A.T.M.A.N.] Help and Suggestions Please! :)
       [not found] <CAM8o6HRAd7FWEyYv+GktSHaDsqJ3UJefnXjui86JVfV2fzXxeg@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2013-01-31 16:04 ` Ashwin Chauhan
From: Ashwin Chauhan @ 2013-01-31 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: b.a.t.m.a.n

I'm a Computer Science Final Year Undergraduate student. We are a
group of Four students and are wanting to do our final group project
on B.A.T.M.A.N protocol. Can you help us with the simulating a simple
sample network.

Also I was thinking, If instead of Broadcasting the OGM Packets every
time into the network, we could broadcast them the first time a node
joins the network and then just Multicast the OGM packets to its
one-hop neighbours from the next time. So that their immediate nodes
are still informed about the existence of the node in the network.
This way we can reduce the unnecessary flooding of packets. Also when
a node moves out of the network its immediate node would know about it
much faster and can then broadcast it to other nodes.

 Trying to do our final year project in this area.
Also can someone suggest us some ideas to work upon as our final year
Project. :)

--

Ashwin

* Re: [B.A.T.M.A.N.] Help and Suggestions Please! :)
@ 2013-02-04 12:09   ` "Linus Lüssing"
> I'm a Computer Science Final Year Undergraduate student. We are a
> group of Four students and are wanting to do our final group project
> on B.A.T.M.A.N protocol. Can you help us with the simulating a simple
> sample network.

For simulating various network topologies with batman-adv, kvm is quite
often used. Have a look at: http://www.open-mesh.org/projects/open-mesh/wiki/Emulation

> Also I was thinking, If instead of Broadcasting the OGM Packets every
> time into the network, we could broadcast them the first time a node
> joins the network and then just Multicast the OGM packets to its
> one-hop neighbours from the next time. So that their immediate nodes
> are still informed about the existence of the node in the network.
> This way we can reduce the unnecessary flooding of packets. Also when
> a node moves out of the network its immediate node would know about it
> much faster and can then broadcast it to other nodes.

 /   \
A     D
 \   /

If, let's say D wants to forward packets to A and sometimes the path
via B and sometimes the one via C is better due to link quality changes
between A-B and A-C. How is D supposed to learn about the better route
if link quality changes on A-B and A-C do not propagate any further?

>  Trying to do our final year project in this area.
> Also can someone suggest us some ideas to work upon as our final year
> Project. :)

There's a list of rough ideas from the last Google Summer of Codes:
http://wiki.freifunk.net/Ideas#batman-adv

Cheers, Linus