b.a.t.m.a.n.lists.open-mesh.org archive mirror
* Re: [B.A.T.M.A.N.] alfred - one gateway - multiple interfaces
@ 2014-07-24  8:50 Treasach
From: Treasach @ 2014-07-24  8:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: b.a.t.m.a.n; +Cc: max

Did you try to contact the author of this init-script/deb-file? Because this Maximilian Wilhelm is not the maintainer of this package in Debian https://qa.debian.org/developer.php?login=max@rfc2324.org nor an alfred/batman developer.

https://qa.debian.org/developer.php?login=max@rfc2324.org[https://qa.debian.org/developer.php?login=max@rfc2324.org]
http://git.open-mesh.org/alfred.git/search?s=Maximilian+Wilhelm;st=author
http://git.open-mesh.org/batman-adv.git/search?s=Maximilian+Wilhelm;st=author
http://git.open-mesh.org/batctl.git/search?s=Maximilian+Wilhelm;st=author

Gesendet: Mittwoch, 23. Juli 2014 um 21:23 Uhr
Von: "Tobias Hachmer" <tobias-MiV4+CnmVYKELgA04lAiVw@public.gmane.org>
An: b.a.t.m.a.n-ZwoEplunGu2X36UT3dwllkB+6BGkLq7r@public.gmane.org
Betreff: alfred - one gateway - multiple interfaces

* Re: [B.A.T.M.A.N.] alfred - one gateway - multiple interfaces
@ 2014-07-24 17:46       ` Tobias Hachmer
From: Tobias Hachmer @ 2014-07-24 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: b.a.t.m.a.n

* Re: [B.A.T.M.A.N.] alfred - one gateway - multiple interfaces
@ 2014-07-24  9:01     ` Simon Wunderlich
From: Simon Wunderlich @ 2014-07-24  9:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: b.a.t.m.a.n

[-- Attachment #1: Type: Text/Plain, Size: 1001 bytes --]

Hey Tobias,

thank you very much for stating your requirement - even if that it's not
implemented yet, maybe there are people out there who want that too and can
help implenting it. It shouldn't be too hard ...

> As I said, a workaround could be to just simply duplicate the init
> script (adjusting all relevant names like pid and so on, of course).

I'd like to point out that you'd also need to add an option in alfred and its
clients to duplicate the unix socket used to communicate between alfred
clients and the server - currently that is hardcoded:

#define ALFRED_SOCK_PATH		"/var/run/alfred.sock"

> But there could be more communities out there which will stumble over
> the same issue, sooner or later. So I just wanted the developer to know,
> that there is such a requirement.
>
> And, maybe, this could be achieved in a way we don't know about?
> Anybody here?

In any case, if someone wants to work on that, patches are welcome :)

Cheers,
    Simon

* Re: [B.A.T.M.A.N.] alfred - one gateway - multiple interfaces
@ 2014-07-24  4:40   ` Tobias Hachmer
From: Tobias Hachmer @ 2014-07-24  4:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: b.a.t.m.a.n

Hallo Gui,

thanks for your reply.

On 24.07.2014 03:12, Gui Iribarren wrote:
> On 23/07/14 16:23, Tobias Hachmer wrote:
>> Guess what: We have the requirement to run one alfred instance for
>> each batman domain. What is the suggested way to achieve this?
>
> a tangential question:
>
> given you have a big enough hardware (since you mention ubuntu 14.04)
> have you considered turning it into a "hardnode" and using any kind of
> virtualization technology? openvz, lxc...
>
> it would help with isolation and simplify things in the long run
> (including having two alfred instances)

Yeah, this could be an approach later. But for now our gates are either
a VM or just small hardware (Atom). But I don't want to discuss this
here.

It is possible to create multiple batman interfaces wich are serving
different domains. Corollary, alfred has to also.

As I said, a workaround could be to just simply duplicate the init
script (adjusting all relevant names like pid and so on, of course).

But there could be more communities out there which will stumble over
the same issue, sooner or later. So I just wanted the developer to know,
that there is such a requirement.

And, maybe, this could be achieved in a way we don't know about?
Anybody here?

Greetings,
Tobias

* Re: [B.A.T.M.A.N.] alfred - one gateway - multiple interfaces
@ 2014-07-24  1:12 ` Gui Iribarren
From: Gui Iribarren @ 2014-07-24  1:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The list for a Better Approach To Mobile Ad-hoc Networking

On 23/07/14 16:23, Tobias Hachmer wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> running here 3 gateways serving two communities. Nearly everything
> is duplicated/separated logically: fastd, bridges, routing tables,
> batman domains, etc.
>
> Operating System is currently Ubuntu 14.04.
>
> alfred: Installed: 2014.1.0-1 Candidate: 2014.1.0-1 Version table:
> *** 2014.1.0-1 0 500 http://apt.rfc2324.org/debian/ wheezy/main
> amd64 Packages 100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
>
> Guess what: We have the requirement to run one alfred instance for
> each batman domain. What is the suggested way to achieve this?

a tangential question:

given you have a big enough hardware (since you mention ubuntu 14.04)
have you considered turning it into a "hardnode" and using any kind of
virtualization technology? openvz, lxc...

it would help with isolation and simplify things in the long run
(including having two alfred instances)

cheers!

gui

@ 2014-07-23 19:23 Tobias Hachmer