bpf.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* Design for sk_lookup helper function in context of sk_lookup hook
@ 2021-03-17  9:04 Shanti Lombard née Bouchez-Mongardé
From: Shanti Lombard née Bouchez-Mongardé @ 2021-03-17  9:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bpf; +Cc: netdev, alexei.starovoitov, kafai

Hello everyone,

Background discussion:
https://lore.kernel.org/bpf/CAADnVQJnX-+9u--px_VnhrMTPB=O9Y0LH9T7RJbqzfLchbUFvg@mail.gmail.com/

In a previous e-mail I was explaining that sk_lookup BPF programs had no
way to lookup existing sockets in kernel space. The sockets have to be
provided by userspace, and the userspace has to find a way to get them
and update them, which in some circumstances can be difficult. I'm
working on a patch to make socket lookup available to BPF programs in
the context of the sk_lookup hook.

There is also two helper function bpf_sk_lokup_tcp and bpf_sk_lookup_udp
which exists but are not available in the context of sk_lookup hooks.
Making them available in this context is not very difficult (just
configure it in net/core/filter.c) but those helpers will call back BPF
code as part of the socket lookup potentially causing an infinite loop.
We need to find a way to perform socket lookup but disable the BPF hook
while doing so.

Around all this, I have a few design questions :

Q1: How do we prevent socket lookup from triggering BPF sk_lookup
causing a loop?

- Solution A: We add a flag to the existing inet_lookup exported
function (and similarly for inet6, udp4 and udp6). The
INET_LOOKUP_SKIP_BPF_SK_LOOKUP flag, when set, would prevent BPF
sk_lookup from happening. It also requires modifying every location
making use of those functions.

- Solution B: We export a new symbol in inet_hashtables, a wrapper
around static function inet_lhash2_lookup for inet4 and similar
functions for inet6 and udp4/6. Looking up specific IP/port and if not
found looking up for INADDR_ANY could be done in the helper function in
net/core/filters.c or in the BPF program.

Q2: Should we reuse the bpf_sk_lokup_tcp and bpf_sk_lookup_udp helper
functions or create new ones?

For solution A above, the helper functions can be reused almose
identically, just adding a flag or boolean argument to tell if we are in
a sk_lookup program or not. In solution B is preferred, them perhaps it
would make sense to expose the new raw lookup function created, and the
BPF program would be responsible for falling back to INADDR_ANY if the
specific socket is not found. It adds more power to the BPF program in
this case but requires to create a new helper function.

I was going with Solution A abd identical function names, but as I am
touching the code it seems that maybe solution B with a new helper
function could be better. I'm open to ideas.

Thank you.

PS: please include me in replies if you are responding only to the
netdev mailing list as I'm not part of it. I'm subscribed to bpf.

* Re: Design for sk_lookup helper function in context of sk_lookup hook
@ 2021-03-19 16:55 ` Martin KaFai Lau
From: Martin KaFai Lau @ 2021-03-19 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shanti Lombard née Bouchez-Mongardé
  Cc: bpf, netdev, alexei.starovoitov

On Wed, Mar 17, 2021 at 10:04:18AM +0100, Shanti Lombard née Bouchez-Mongardé wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> Background discussion: https://lore.kernel.org/bpf/CAADnVQJnX-+9u--px_VnhrMTPB=O9Y0LH9T7RJbqzfLchbUFvg@mail.gmail.com/
>
> In a previous e-mail I was explaining that sk_lookup BPF programs had no way
> to lookup existing sockets in kernel space. The sockets have to be provided
> by userspace, and the userspace has to find a way to get them and update
> them, which in some circumstances can be difficult. I'm working on a patch
> to make socket lookup available to BPF programs in the context of the
> sk_lookup hook.
>
> There is also two helper function bpf_sk_lokup_tcp and bpf_sk_lookup_udp
> which exists but are not available in the context of sk_lookup hooks. Making
> them available in this context is not very difficult (just configure it in
> net/core/filter.c) but those helpers will call back BPF code as part of the
> socket lookup potentially causing an infinite loop. We need to find a way to
> perform socket lookup but disable the BPF hook while doing so.
>
> Around all this, I have a few design questions :
>
> Q1: How do we prevent socket lookup from triggering BPF sk_lookup causing a
> loop?
The bpf_sk_lookup_(tcp|udp) will be called from the BPF_PROG_TYPE_SK_LOOKUP program?

> - Solution A: We add a flag to the existing inet_lookup exported function
> (and similarly for inet6, udp4 and udp6). The INET_LOOKUP_SKIP_BPF_SK_LOOKUP
> flag, when set, would prevent BPF sk_lookup from happening. It also requires
> modifying every location making use of those functions.
>
> - Solution B: We export a new symbol in inet_hashtables, a wrapper around
> static function inet_lhash2_lookup for inet4 and similar functions for inet6
> and udp4/6. Looking up specific IP/port and if not found looking up for
> INADDR_ANY could be done in the helper function in net/core/filters.c or in
> the BPF program.
>
> Q2: Should we reuse the bpf_sk_lokup_tcp and bpf_sk_lookup_udp helper
> functions or create new ones?
If the args passing to the bpf_sk_lookup_(tcp|udp) is the same,
it makes sense to reuse the same BPF_FUNC_sk_lookup_*.
The actual helper implementation could be different though.
Look at bpf_xdp_sk_lookup_tcp_proto and bpf_sk_lookup_tcp_proto.

@ 2021-03-19 17:05   ` Shanti Lombard née Bouchez-Mongardé
From: Shanti Lombard née Bouchez-Mongardé @ 2021-03-19 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin KaFai Lau; +Cc: bpf, netdev, alexei.starovoitov

Le 19/03/2021 à 17:55, Martin KaFai Lau a écrit :
> On Wed, Mar 17, 2021 at 10:04:18AM +0100, Shanti Lombard née Bouchez-Mongardé wrote:
>> Q1: How do we prevent socket lookup from triggering BPF sk_lookup causing a
>> loop?
> The bpf_sk_lookup_(tcp|udp) will be called from the BPF_PROG_TYPE_SK_LOOKUP program?

Yes, the idea is to allow the BPF program to redirect incoming
connections for 0.0.0.0:1234 to a specific IP address such as
127.0.12.34:1234 or any other combinaison with a binding not done based
on a predefined socket file descriptor but based on a listening IP
address for a socket.

See linked discussion in the original message

>> - Solution A: We add a flag to the existing inet_lookup exported function
>> (and similarly for inet6, udp4 and udp6). The INET_LOOKUP_SKIP_BPF_SK_LOOKUP
>> flag, when set, would prevent BPF sk_lookup from happening. It also requires
>> modifying every location making use of those functions.
>>
>> - Solution B: We export a new symbol in inet_hashtables, a wrapper around
>> static function inet_lhash2_lookup for inet4 and similar functions for inet6
>> and udp4/6. Looking up specific IP/port and if not found looking up for
>> INADDR_ANY could be done in the helper function in net/core/filters.c or in
>> the BPF program.
>>
>> Q2: Should we reuse the bpf_sk_lokup_tcp and bpf_sk_lookup_udp helper
>> functions or create new ones?
> If the args passing to the bpf_sk_lookup_(tcp|udp) is the same,
> it makes sense to reuse the same BPF_FUNC_sk_lookup_*.
> The actual helper implementation could be different though.
> Look at bpf_xdp_sk_lookup_tcp_proto and bpf_sk_lookup_tcp_proto.

I was thinking that perhaps a different helper method which would take
IPPROTO_TCP or IPPROTO_UDP parameter would be better suited. it would
avoid BPF code such as :

     switch(ctx->protocol){
         case IPPROTO_TCP:
             sk = bpf_sk_lookup_tcp(ctx, &tuple, tuple_size, -1, 0);
             break;
         case IPPROTO_UDP:
             sk = bpf_sk_lookup_udp(ctx, &tuple, tuple_size, -1, 0);
             break;
         default:
             return SK_PASS;
     }

But then there is the limit of 5 arguments, isn't it, so perhaps the
_tcp/_udp functions are not such a bad idea after all.

I saw already that the same helper functions could be given different
implementations. And if there is no way to have more than 5 arguments
then this is probably better to reuse the same helper function name and
signature.

Thank you

* Re: Design for sk_lookup helper function in context of sk_lookup hook
@ 2021-03-22 17:59     ` Martin KaFai Lau
From: Martin KaFai Lau @ 2021-03-22 17:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shanti Lombard née Bouchez-Mongardé
  Cc: bpf, netdev, alexei.starovoitov

On Fri, Mar 19, 2021 at 06:05:20PM +0100, Shanti Lombard née Bouchez-Mongardé wrote:
> Le 19/03/2021 à 17:55, Martin KaFai Lau a écrit :
> > On Wed, Mar 17, 2021 at 10:04:18AM +0100, Shanti Lombard née Bouchez-Mongardé wrote:
> > > Q1: How do we prevent socket lookup from triggering BPF sk_lookup causing a
> > > loop?
> > The bpf_sk_lookup_(tcp|udp) will be called from the BPF_PROG_TYPE_SK_LOOKUP program?
>
> Yes, the idea is to allow the BPF program to redirect incoming connections
> for 0.0.0.0:1234 to a specific IP address such as 127.0.12.34:1234 or any
> other combinaison with a binding not done based on a predefined socket file
> descriptor but based on a listening IP address for a socket.
>
> See linked discussion in the original message
>
> > > - Solution A: We add a flag to the existing inet_lookup exported function
> > > (and similarly for inet6, udp4 and udp6). The INET_LOOKUP_SKIP_BPF_SK_LOOKUP
> > > flag, when set, would prevent BPF sk_lookup from happening. It also requires
> > > modifying every location making use of those functions.
> > >
> > > - Solution B: We export a new symbol in inet_hashtables, a wrapper around
> > > static function inet_lhash2_lookup for inet4 and similar functions for inet6
> > > and udp4/6. Looking up specific IP/port and if not found looking up for
> > > INADDR_ANY could be done in the helper function in net/core/filters.c or in
> > > the BPF program.
For TCP, it is only for lhash lookup, right?