bpf.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
From: Jamal Hadi Salim <jhs@mojatatu.com>
To: Alexei Starovoitov <alexei.starovoitov@gmail.com>,
	Cong Wang <xiyou.wangcong@gmail.com>
Cc: Network Development <netdev@vger.kernel.org>,
	bpf <bpf@vger.kernel.org>, Cong Wang <cong.wang@bytedance.com>,
	Jiri Pirko <jiri@resnulli.us>
Subject: Re: [RFC Patch net-next v2] net_sched: introduce eBPF based Qdisc
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2021 09:43:13 -0400	[thread overview]

On 2021-09-29 4:57 p.m., Alexei Starovoitov wrote:

> Applying queuing discipline to non-skb context may be not your target
> but it's a reasonable and practical request to have.

While i agree that it is useful to deal with queues and scheduling
for other buffer contexts, it certainly not the same infrastructure
wise to deal with sending a context to user space vs dealing with
the qdisc environment. There are a lot of corner cases of dealing with
the mix of hard and softirqs, non-work conserving modes, multiflow
funneling and locking etc that have been refined over the years that
are incorporated into the tc + netdev infra.
The approach that Cong took of just reusing that infra will take
advantage of those learnings. The only thing that is variable between
the different qdiscs is the enqueue/dequeue algos (which is where
Cong is sticking the ebpf hooks). To me that looks like a very
good starting point as i dont believe you can come up with one size
fits all without excessive over-engineering (which seems to defeat
the purpose of ebpf).

cheers,
jamal