bpf.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
From: "Toke Høiland-Jørgensen" <toke@redhat.com>
To: John Fastabend <john.fastabend@gmail.com>,
	Martin KaFai Lau <kafai@fb.com>,
	Cong Wang <xiyou.wangcong@gmail.com>,
	John Fastabend <john.fastabend@gmail.com>
Cc: Linux Kernel Network Developers <netdev@vger.kernel.org>,
	bpf <bpf@vger.kernel.org>, Cong Wang <cong.wang@bytedance.com>,
	Jamal Hadi Salim <jhs@mojatatu.com>,
	Jiri Pirko <jiri@resnulli.us>
Subject: Re: [RFC Patch net-next] net_sched: introduce eBPF based Qdisc
Date: Fri, 03 Sep 2021 00:27:52 +0200	[thread overview]

John Fastabend <john.fastabend@gmail.com> writes:

> Toke Høiland-Jørgensen wrote:
>> Martin KaFai Lau <kafai@fb.com> writes:

>> > _if_ it is using as a qdisc object/interface,
>> > the patch "looks" easier because it obscures some of the ops/interface
>> > from the bpf user.  The user will eventually ask for more flexibility
>> > and then an on-par interface as the kernel's qdisc.  If there are some
>> > common 'ops', the common bpf code can be shared as a library in userspace
>> > or there is also kfunc call to call into the kernel implementation.
>> > For existing kernel qdisc author,  it will be easier to use the same
>> > interface also.
>>
>> The question is if it's useful to provide the full struct_ops for
>> qdiscs? Having it would allow a BPF program to implement that interface
>> towards userspace (things like statistics, classes etc), but the
>> question is if anyone is going to bother with that given the wealth of
>> BPF-specific introspection tools already available?
>
> If its a map value then you get all the goodness with normal map
> inspection.

Yup, exactly, so why bother with struct_ops to implement all the other
qdisc ops (apart from enqueue/dequeue)?

>> My hope is that we can (longer term) develop some higher-level tools to
>> express queueing policies that can then generate the BPF code needed to
>> implement them. Or as a start just some libraries to make this easier,
>> which I think is also what you're hinting at here? :)
>
> The P4 working group has thought about QOS and queuing from P4 side if
> you want to think in terms of a DSL. Might be interesting and have
> some benefits if you want to drop into hardware offload side. For example
> compile to XDP for fast CPU architectures, Altera/Xilinx backend for FPGA or
> switch silicon for others. This was always the dream on my side maybe
> we've finally got close to actualizing it, 10 years later ;)

Yup, would love to see this! Let's just hope it doesn't take another
decade ;)

>> > Agree.  Regardless how the interface may look like,
>> > I even think being able to queue/dequeue an skb into different bpf maps
>> > should be the first thing to do here.  Looking forward to your patches.
>>
>> Thanks! Guess I should go work on them, then :D
>
> Happy to review any RFCs.

>> > Interesting idea.  If it does not need to use the qdisc object/interface
>> > and be able to do the qdisc hierarchy setup in a programmable way, it may
>> > be nice.  It will be useful for the future patches to come with some
>> > bpf prog examples to do that.
>>
>> Absolutely; we plan to include example algorithm implementations as well!
>
> A weighted round robin queue setup might be a useful example and easy
> to implement/understand, but slightly more interesting than a pfifo. Also
> would force understanding multiple cpus and timer issues.

Yup, some sort of RR queueing is definitely on the list!

> Having something reported back to userspace as the value might be helpful
> for debugging/tracing. Maybe the skb->hash? Then you could set this and
> then track a skb through the stack even when its in a bpf skb queue.

Yeah. I've just been using the pointer value for my initial testing.
That's not a good solution, of course, but having a visible identifier
would be neat. skb->hash makes sense for the qdisc layer, but not for
XDP...

>> > The verifier is tracking the sk's references.  Can it be reused to
>> > track the skb's reference?
>>
>> I was vaguely aware that it does this, but have not looked at the
>> details. Would be great if this was possible; will see how far I get
>> with it, and iterate from there (with your help, hopefully :))
>
> Also might need to drop any socket references from the networking side
> so an enqueued sock can't hold a socket open.

Not sure I'm following you here?

-Toke