bpf.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
From: Andrii Nakryiko <andrii.nakryiko@gmail.com>
To: John Fastabend <john.fastabend@gmail.com>
Cc: "Jesper Dangaard Brouer" <brouer@redhat.com>,
	"Toke Høiland-Jørgensen" <toke@redhat.com>,
	BPF-dev-list <bpf@vger.kernel.org>,
	"Magnus Karlsson" <magnus.karlsson@gmail.com>,
	"William Tu" <u9012063@gmail.com>,
	xdp-hints@xdp-project.net
Subject: Re: XDP-hints: Howto support multiple BTF types per packet basis?
Date: Sat, 29 May 2021 20:27:00 -0700	[thread overview]

On Fri, May 28, 2021 at 10:30 AM John Fastabend
<john.fastabend@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> has to do this it also sets 'rx_timestamp_enabled = true' which can
> be done today no problem.
>
> Now its up to hardware and user to build something coherent. You
> don't need me to agree with you that its useful to add timestamps you
> have all the tools you need to do it. Presumably the user buys the
> hardware so they can buy whats most useful for them.
>

> > Now I want to redirect this packet into a veth.  The veth device could
> > be running an XDP-prog, that also want to look at this timestamp info.
> > How can the veth XDP-prog know howto interpret metadata area. What if I
> > stored the bpf_id in the version fields in the struct?.
>
> Well presumably someone is managing the system so with above XDP prog
> on real nic could just populate the metadata with software if needed
> and veth would not care if it came from hardware or software. Or
> use same fallback trick with global variable.
>

> > (Details: I also need this timestamp info transferred to xdp_frame,
> > because when redirecting into a veth (container) then I want this
> > timestamp set on the SKB to survive. I wonder how can I know what the
> > BTF-layout, guess it would be useful to have btf_id at this point)
>
> Why do you need to know the layout? Just copy the metadata. The core
> infrastructure can not know the layout or we are back to being
> gate-keepers of hardware features.

> > > Distilling above down. I think we disagree on how useful
> > > dynamic programs are because of two reasons. First I don't
> > > see a large list of common attributes that would make the
> > > union approach as painful as you fear. And two, I believe
> > > users who are touching core hardware firmware need to also
> > > be smart enough (or have smart tools) to swap out their
> > > BPF programs in the correct order so as to not create
> > > subtle races. I didn't do it here but if we agree walking
> > > through that program swap flow with firmware update would
> > > be useful.
> >
> > Hmm, I sense we are perhaps talking past each-other(?).  I am not
> > talking about firmware upgrades.  I'm arguing that enable/disable of HW
> > RX-timestamps will change the XDP-metadata usage dynamically runtime.
> > This is simply a normal userspace program that cause this changes e.g.
> > running 'tcpdump -j'.
>
> I'm not sure why it would change the layout. The hardware is going
> to start writing completely different metadata? If so just pivot
> on a global value like above with two structs.
>
>   if (timestamp_enabled) {
>     struct timestamp_meta *meta = data->meta_data;
>     // do stuff
>   } else {
>     struct normal_meta *meta = data->meta_data;
>   }
>
> The powerful part of above is you have all the pieces you need today
> sans exporting a couple internal libbpf calls, but that should
> be doable. Although Andrii would probably object to such a ugly
> hack so a proper API would be nice. But, again not strictly needed

Of course I would :) But I had the ability to specify custom vmlinux
BTF in libbpf (through bpf_object__load_xattr) from the very beginning
(at least for testing purposes), though it bit-rotted a bit with all
the further BTF-enabled features. But I'm all for cleaning that up and
formalizing the ability to specify alternative vmlinux BTF and/or
additional external BTF.