bpf.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
From: Magnus Karlsson <magnus.karlsson@gmail.com>
To: "Toke Høiland-Jørgensen" <toke@redhat.com>
Cc: Michal Swiatkowski <michal.swiatkowski@linux.intel.com>,
	Jakub Kicinski <kuba@kernel.org>,
	John Fastabend <john.fastabend@gmail.com>,
	Jesper Dangaard Brouer <brouer@redhat.com>,
	Andrii Nakryiko <andrii.nakryiko@gmail.com>,
	BPF-dev-list <bpf@vger.kernel.org>,
	William Tu <u9012063@gmail.com>,
	xdp-hints@xdp-project.net
Subject: Re: XDP-hints: Howto support multiple BTF types per packet basis?
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2021 15:07:58 +0200	[thread overview]

On Thu, Jun 24, 2021 at 2:23 PM Toke Høiland-Jørgensen <toke@redhat.com> wrote:

> [...]
> >>
> >> One way is to only include the structs you actually need from vmlinux.h.
> >> You can even prune struct members, since CO-RE works just fine with
> >> partial struct definitions as long as the member names match.
> >>
> >> Jesper has an example on how to handle this here:
> >> https://github.com/netoptimizer/bpf-examples/blob/ktrace01-CO-RE.public/headers/vmlinux_local.h
> >>

> > I see, thanks, I will take a look at other examples.

> >> I would expect the easiest is for drivers to just define their own
> >> structs and maybe have some infrastructure in the core to let userspace
> >> discover the right BTF IDs to use for a particular netdev. However, as
> >> you say it's not going to work if every driver just invents their own
> >> field names, so we'll need to coordinate somehow. We could do this by
> >> convention, though, it'll need manual intervention to make sure the
> >> semantics of identically-named fields match anyway.
> >>
> >> Cf the earlier discussion with how many BTF IDs each driver might
> >> define, I think we *also* need a way to have flags that specify which
> >> fields of a given BTF ID are currently used; and having some common
> >> infrastructure for that would be good...
> >>

> > Sounds good.
> >
> > Sorry, but I feel that I don't fully understand the idea. Correct me if
> > I am wrong:
> >
> > In building CO-RE application step we can defined big struct with
> > all possible fields or even empty struct (?) and use
> > bpf_core_field_exists.
> >
> > bpf_core_field_exists will be resolve before loading program by libbpf
> > code. In normal case libbpf will look for btf with hints name in vmlinux
> > of running kernel and do offset rewrite and exsistence check. But as the
> > same hints struct will be define in multiple modules we want to add more
> > logic to libbpf to discover correct BTF ID based on netdev on which program
> > will be loaded?
>
> I would expect that the program would decide ahead-of-time which BTF IDs
> it supports, by something like including the relevant structs from
> vmlinux.h. And then we need the BTF ID encoded into the packet metadata
> as well, so that it is possible to check at run-time which driver the
> packet came from (since a packet can be redirected, so you may end up
> having to deal with multiple formats in the same XDP program).
>
> Which would allow you to write code like:
>
> if (ctx->has_driver_meta) {
>   /* this should be at a well-known position, like first (or last) in meta area */
>   __u32 *meta_btf_id = ctx->data_meta;
>
>   if (*meta_btf_id == BTF_ID_MLX5) {
>     struct meta_mlx5 *meta = ctx->data_meta;
>     /* do something with meta */
>   } else if (meta_btf_id == BTF_ID_I40E) {
>     struct meta_i40e *meta = ctx->data_meta;
>     /* do something with meta */
>   } /* etc */
> }
>
> and libbpf could do relocations based on the different meta structs,
> even removing the code for the ones that don't exist on the running

Just wondering how this will carry over to user-space and AF_XDP since
it sees the same metadata area as XDP? AFAIK, dynamic linkers today
cannot relocate structs or remove members, but I am not up-to-date
with the latest here so might be completely wrong. And it would be
good not to have to recompile a user-space binary just because a new
NIC came out with a new BTF ID and layout, but with the same metadata
member name and format as previous NICs/BTF IDs. But I do not know how
to solve these things in user-space at the moment (except to have
fixed locations for a common set of metadata, but that is what we are
trying to avoid), so any hints and suggestions are highly appreciated.