buildroot.busybox.net archive mirror
* [Buildroot] buildroot u-boot.nand oob size
@ 2021-09-23 11:55 Ivan Riabtsov
From: Ivan Riabtsov @ 2021-09-23 11:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

I have a system on an mx28evk chip, I have two types of nand memory,
one with 64 bytes, the other 128 bytes, I am building a buildroot, I
need a universal firmware for both types of memory, I found how to
patch uboot so that it works with both memory types, but buildroot has
an option for u-boot.nand NAND OOB size, which is not recognized by
the bootloader during boot, but is hardcoded in u-boot.nand,

accordingly, if I set u-boot.nand oob size to 128 bytes, then the
system with 64 memory will not boot and vice versa, tell me, is it
possible to somehow create a universal firmware for both types of nand
memory?

ps i cant write message to buildroot@lists.buildroot.orgб i get a
message "Undelivered Mail Returned to Sender"

* Re: [Buildroot] buildroot u-boot.nand oob size
@ 2021-09-23 19:31 ` Arnout Vandecappelle
From: Arnout Vandecappelle @ 2021-09-23 19:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ivan Riabtsov, buildroot

  Hi Ivan,

On 23/09/2021 13:55, Ivan Riabtsov wrote:
> I have a system on an mx28evk chip, I have two types of nand memory,
> one with 64 bytes, the other 128 bytes, I am building a buildroot, I
> need a universal firmware for both types of memory, I found how to
> patch uboot so that it works with both memory types, but buildroot has
> an option for u-boot.nand NAND OOB size, which is not recognized by
> the bootloader during boot, but is hardcoded in u-boot.nand,
>
> accordingly, if I set u-boot.nand oob size to 128 bytes, then the
> system with 64 memory will not boot and vice versa, tell me, is it
> possible to somehow create a universal firmware for both types of nand
> memory?

  If you use BR2_TARGET_UBOOT_FORMAT_NAND, then Buildroot will run the mxsboot
tool to create u-boot.nand from u-boot.sb.

  I think there are two options for you.

1. Select BR2_TARGET_UBOOT_FORMAT_SB instead of _NAND and use a post-build
script to generate the u-boot.nand.

2. Use BR2_TARGET_UBOOT_FORMAT_CUSTOM and fill in the name of the image that is
generated by U-Boot itself (which could be u-boot.nand). In this case, you must
make sure yourself that U-Boot's "make all" target builds this image.

> ps i cant write message to buildroot@lists.buildroot.orgб i get a
> message "Undelivered Mail Returned to Sender"

  lists.buildroot.org is only the website. The mail address is
buildroot@buildroot.org (or .net, or buildroot@busybox.net, they all end up at
the same place).

  Regards,
  Arnout

* Re: [Buildroot] buildroot u-boot.nand oob size
@ 2021-09-24  7:04   ` Thomas Petazzoni
From: Thomas Petazzoni @ 2021-09-24  7:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arnout Vandecappelle; +Cc: buildroot, Ivan Riabtsov

Hello Arnout,

On Thu, 23 Sep 2021 21:31:04 +0200
Arnout Vandecappelle <arnout@mind.be> wrote:

> > ps i cant write message to buildroot@lists.buildroot.orgб i get a
> > message "Undelivered Mail Returned to Sender"
>
>   lists.buildroot.org is only the website. The mail address is
> buildroot@buildroot.org (or .net, or buildroot@busybox.net, they all end up at
> the same place).

This issue was reported on IRC as well. If you read
https://lists.buildroot.org/mailman/listinfo/buildroot, it says:

  buildroot@lists.buildroot.org.

So basically, it tells you to use an e-mail address that doesn't work :-/

Best regards,

Thomas
--
Thomas Petazzoni, co-owner and CEO, Bootlin
Embedded Linux and Kernel engineering and training

* Re: [Buildroot] buildroot u-boot.nand oob size
@ 2021-09-24  7:56     ` Peter Korsgaard
From: Peter Korsgaard @ 2021-09-24  7:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Petazzoni; +Cc: buildroot, Ivan Riabtsov

Hi,

 >> lists.buildroot.org is only the website. The mail address is
 >> buildroot@buildroot.org (or .net, or buildroot@busybox.net, they all end up at
 >> the same place).

 > This issue was reported on IRC as well. If you read
 > https://lists.buildroot.org/mailman/listinfo/buildroot, it says:

 >   buildroot@lists.buildroot.org.

 > So basically, it tells you to use an e-mail address that doesn't work :-/

Ahh, that is presumably a mailman configuration issue after the latest
changes. Will you report it to osuosl or should I?

--
Bye, Peter Korsgaard

* Re: [Buildroot] buildroot u-boot.nand oob size
@ 2021-09-24  8:06       ` Thomas Petazzoni
From: Thomas Petazzoni @ 2021-09-24  8:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Korsgaard; +Cc: buildroot, Ivan Riabtsov

On Fri, 24 Sep 2021 09:56:08 +0200
Peter Korsgaard <peter@korsgaard.com> wrote:

> Ahh, that is presumably a mailman configuration issue after the latest
> changes. Will you report it to osuosl or should I?

I did it, you're in Cc.

Best regards,

Thomas