ccan.lists.ozlabs.org archive mirror
* bitmap/tal again
@ 2017-09-15  8:03 Ian Zimmerman
From: Ian Zimmerman @ 2017-09-15  8:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ccan

Hi, so I'd like to add the bitmap/tal submodule as discussed here:

https://github.com/rustyrussell/ccan/pull/60

but I'm not familiar enough with ccan dependency declarations yet :(

1. Should the dependency on tal be declared in bitmap/_info or in
bitmap/tal/_info?  The latter seems more natural, but for some reason
the final pull request on github shows the former.  I don't know if
that's something I did and Rusty didn't correct, or something that Rusty
did.  (I also don't quite understand github, ARGH!)

2. Does bitmap/tal need to declare dependency on bitmap, or is that
automatic?  Or maybe the other way?  I tried to look at other submodules
in the tree, but there are only a few and none that quite match the
relationship between this proposed pair.

Well, if I know these 2 things it should get me started.

* Re: bitmap/tal again
@ 2017-09-15  8:32 ` David Gibson
From: David Gibson @ 2017-09-15  8:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ccan

On Fri, Sep 15, 2017 at 01:03:55AM -0700, Ian Zimmerman wrote:
> Hi, so I'd like to add the bitmap/tal submodule as discussed here:
>
> https://github.com/rustyrussell/ccan/pull/60
>
> but I'm not familiar enough with ccan dependency declarations yet :(
>
> 1. Should the dependency on tal be declared in bitmap/_info or in
> bitmap/tal/_info?  The latter seems more natural, but for some reason
> the final pull request on github shows the former.  I don't know if
> that's something I did and Rusty didn't correct, or something that Rusty
> did.  (I also don't quite understand github, ARGH!)

In bitmap/tal/_info, definitely.  Putting it in bitmap/_info will
change the dependencies of the base bitmap module, not your new
submodule.

> 2. Does bitmap/tal need to declare dependency on bitmap, or is that
> automatic?  Or maybe the other way?  I tried to look at other submodules
> in the tree, but there are only a few and none that quite match the
> relationship between this proposed pair.

Looking at ccan/tal/str, looks like the surrounding module should be
explicitly listed in dependencies.

> Well, if I know these 2 things it should get me started.

				| _way_ _around_!
http://www.ozlabs.org/~dgibson

[-- Attachment #1.2: signature.asc --]

* Re: bitmap/tal again
@ 2017-09-16  3:38   ` Rusty Russell
From: Rusty Russell @ 2017-09-16  3:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Gibson, ccan

David Gibson <david@gibson.dropbear.id.au> writes:
> On Fri, Sep 15, 2017 at 01:03:55AM -0700, Ian Zimmerman wrote:
>> Hi, so I'd like to add the bitmap/tal submodule as discussed here:
>>
>> https://github.com/rustyrussell/ccan/pull/60
>>
>> but I'm not familiar enough with ccan dependency declarations yet :(
>>
>> 1. Should the dependency on tal be declared in bitmap/_info or in
>> bitmap/tal/_info?  The latter seems more natural, but for some reason
>> the final pull request on github shows the former.  I don't know if
>> that's something I did and Rusty didn't correct, or something that Rusty
>> did.  (I also don't quite understand github, ARGH!)
>
> In bitmap/tal/_info, definitely.  Putting it in bitmap/_info will
> change the dependencies of the base bitmap module, not your new
> submodule.
>
>> 2. Does bitmap/tal need to declare dependency on bitmap, or is that
>> automatic?  Or maybe the other way?  I tried to look at other submodules
>> in the tree, but there are only a few and none that quite match the
>> relationship between this proposed pair.
>
> Looking at ccan/tal/str, looks like the surrounding module should be
> explicitly listed in dependencies.

Indeed.  There's no implied dependency between a submodule and parent
module.  Generally the submodule will depend on the parent module, but
we can also imagine a foo module which depends on a foo/lowlevel module.

Cheers,
Rusty.