ceph-devel.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* Re: /sys/class/rbd does not exist after loading ceph module
       [not found] <AANLkTi=r74Q3SBS71+QcditFhNxzUfdCf1F9F18R4Yiy@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2010-07-30  8:41 ` Xiaoguang Liu
From: Xiaoguang Liu @ 2010-07-30  8:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ceph-devel

 I would like to try the RBD feature of Ceph. I am following
http://ceph.newdream.net/wiki/Rbd,  but failed at :

 echo "xxx name=admin rbd foo" > /sys/class/rbd/add

 It was because folder /sys/class/rbd does not exist. But ceph kernel
module is loaded and I can mount -t ceph xxxx:/ /mnt/ceph.

 I am using kernel 2.6.34.1 on fedora 13.

 the following symbols are set in .config while compiling the kernel.

 CONFIG_CEPH_FS=m
 CONFIG_CEPH_FS_PRETTYDEBUG=y

 Ceph 0.20.2 is installed by yum.

 Did I miss anything?

* Re: /sys/class/rbd does not exist after loading ceph module
@ 2010-07-30  9:02   ` Thomas Mueller
From: Thomas Mueller @ 2010-07-30  9:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ceph-devel

Am Fri, 30 Jul 2010 16:41:51 +0800 schrieb Xiaoguang Liu:

> I would like to try the RBD feature of Ceph. I am following
> http://ceph.newdream.net/wiki/Rbd,  but failed at :

* did you really compile the ceph.ko module from source?
* did you verify that you actually loaded the right ceph.ko module and
not stock ceph.ko?

general note: do use the new 0.21. you won't get happy with 0.20.2.

- Thomas

* Re: /sys/class/rbd does not exist after loading ceph module
@ 2010-07-30 13:17   ` Xiaoguang Liu
From: Xiaoguang Liu @ 2010-07-30 13:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ceph-devel

I though all ceph client, including RBD, was already included in
kernel 2.6.34. so I just download it from kernel.org and compile it,
like make menuconfig, make, make modues_install etc.

Do you mean that I still need patch kernel 2.6.34 and build the new ceph.ko?

@ 2010-07-30 13:25     ` Wido den Hollander
From: Wido den Hollander @ 2010-07-30 13:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xiaoguang Liu; +Cc: ceph-devel

Hi Xiaoguang,

You will have to download the source from git like explained on:
http://ceph.newdream.net/wiki/Rbd

But the module will not compile against 2.6.34, only against 2.6.35

There is a rbd-backport branch in "ceph-client-standalone.git", but i'm
not sure how up to date that one is.

If you want to test RBD, i would recommend upgrading to 2.6.35.

Wido