ceph-devel.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* Chunk size in Ceph
@ 2010-06-28 14:27 Christian Baun
From: Christian Baun @ 2010-06-28 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ceph-devel

Hi,

What is the chunk size of Ceph?
I couldn't find this information.

Best Regards
   Christian

* Re: Chunk size in Ceph
@ 2010-06-28 15:53 ` Thomas Mueller
From: Thomas Mueller @ 2010-06-28 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ceph-devel

Am Mon, 28 Jun 2010 16:27:54 +0200 schrieb Christian Baun:

> Hi,
>
> What is the chunk size of Ceph?
> I couldn't find this information.
>
> Best Regards
>    Christian

IMHO 4mb

found in first link if I google "ceph chunk size":
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=ceph+chunk+size

(http://www.usenix.org/events/fast09/wips_posters/molina_wip.pdf)

:)

- Thomas

* Re: Chunk size in Ceph
@ 2010-06-28 15:58   ` Alex‎ Nelson
From: Alex‎ Nelson @ 2010-06-28 15:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Mueller; +Cc: ceph-devel

Hello all,

Sage informed me of the place where the default size is set a while back.  In src/config.cc, the struct g_default_file_layout has a few default size parameters.  He advised me that fl_stripe_unit and fl_object_size should be the same.  He also told me there's a way to set those on individual files, though that's potentially a pain and could be easier by just setting the default at compile time.

There's also a feature request in on alternate methods of setting these.  I'm sure the Ceph team would welcome input on this.

http://tracker.newdream.net/issues/185

--Alex

On Jun 28, 2010, at 08:53 , Thomas Mueller wrote:

> Am Mon, 28 Jun 2010 16:27:54 +0200 schrieb Christian Baun:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> What is the chunk size of Ceph?
>> I couldn't find this information.
>>
>> Best Regards
>>   Christian
>
> IMHO 4mb
>
> found in first link if I google "ceph chunk size":
> http://lmgtfy.com/?q=ceph+chunk+size
>
> (http://www.usenix.org/events/fast09/wips_posters/molina_wip.pdf)
>
> :)
>
> - Thomas