ceph-devel.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* Building Ceph statically linked
@ 2013-11-13 20:22 Wido den Hollander
From: Wido den Hollander @ 2013-11-13 20:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ceph-devel

Hi,

While doing some tests I'm trying to build Ceph statically. I have a
bunch of machines where I run Ceph on for these test (mostly RGW now)
and I'm running into some library issues when switching from branches.

To make my life a bit easier I tried compiling Ceph (especially RGW)
statically linked, but somehow I keep ending up with a dynamically
linked binary.

What I tried:

$ env CXXFLAGS="-static" ./configure --enable-static --disable-shared
$ make

Usually that should spit out a static binary, but 'radosgw' is still
dynamic.

I'm not such a autoconf nor automake guru, so does anybody ever build
static binaries with Ceph?

Yes, I'm aware they can become very large, but that's not my concern
right now. I just want to upload a binary to a machine, run it and see
if it does what I'm hoping it does and not having to worry about all the
dependencies being there and being the right version.

--
Wido den Hollander
42on B.V.

Phone: +31 (0)20 700 9902
Skype: contact42on

* Re: Building Ceph statically linked
@ 2013-11-13 20:24 ` Loic Dachary
From: Loic Dachary @ 2013-11-13 20:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wido den Hollander, ceph-devel

On 13/11/2013 21:22, Wido den Hollander wrote:
> Hi,
>
> While doing some tests I'm trying to build Ceph statically. I have a bunch of machines where I run Ceph on for these test (mostly RGW now) and I'm running into some library issues when switching from branches.
>
> To make my life a bit easier I tried compiling Ceph (especially RGW) statically linked, but somehow I keep ending up with a dynamically linked binary.
>
> What I tried:
>
> $ env CXXFLAGS="-static" ./configure --enable-static --disable-shared
> $ make
>
> Usually that should spit out a static binary, but 'radosgw' is still dynamic.

I suspect it's because you did not --with-radosgw and it was not recompiled.

Cheers

> I'm not such a autoconf nor automake guru, so does anybody ever build static binaries with Ceph?
>
> Yes, I'm aware they can become very large, but that's not my concern right now. I just want to upload a binary to a machine, run it and see if it does what I'm hoping it does and not having to worry about all the dependencies being there and being the right version.

--
Loïc Dachary, Artisan Logiciel Libre

* Re: Building Ceph statically linked
@ 2013-11-13 20:33   ` Wido den Hollander
From: Wido den Hollander @ 2013-11-13 20:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Loic Dachary, ceph-devel

On 11/13/2013 09:24 PM, Loic Dachary wrote:

> On 13/11/2013 21:22, Wido den Hollander wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> While doing some tests I'm trying to build Ceph statically. I have a
>> bunch of machines where I run Ceph on for these test (mostly RGW now)
>> and I'm running into some library issues when switching from branches.
>>
>> To make my life a bit easier I tried compiling Ceph (especially RGW)
>> statically linked, but somehow I keep ending up with a dynamically
>> linked binary.
>>
>> What I tried:
>>
>> $ env CXXFLAGS="-static" ./configure --enable-static --disable-shared
>> $ make
>>
>> Usually that should spit out a static binary, but 'radosgw' is still
>> dynamic.
>>

> I suspect it's because you did not --with-radosgw and it was not
> recompiled.

Nope, I did a 'make clean' first.

Tried it just for the sake of it:
$ CXXFLAGS="-static" ./configure --enable-static --disable-shared
--with-radosgw
$ make
$ file src/radosgw

"src/radosgw: ELF 64-bit LSB executable, x86-64, version 1 (GNU/Linux),
dynamically linked (uses shared libs),"