cip-dev.lists.cip-project.org archive mirror
* Coordinating stable reviews
@ 2021-09-27 10:09 Pavel Machek
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Pavel Machek @ 2021-09-27 10:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: uli, cip-dev

Hi!

It is good to review "stable" patches soon, because such reviews are
more useful for the stable community, and because when bug is spotted,
it is easier to get patch dropped in the 5.10.X-rc phase than waiting
for 5.10.X release and then having patch reverted in 5.10.X+1.

Unfortunately, we don't have good system for coordinating reviews in
-rc phase.

There's a script (commit.py) that produces one-line-per-patch output
suitable for review. One possibility would be to have shared place
somewhere reviewers could tag "I'm working on these patches".

I don't believe lts-commit-list.git repository is suitable for that;
format suitable for review is different from what we have in
lts-commit-list, and there is going to be multiple updates per day in
busy periods.

We don't really need commit messages for this. Actually, we don't
really need to keep history, either. It would be good if system could
be controlled from command line for easy scripting.

Any ideas what kind of service could be used for this?

Best regards,
								Pavel

* [cip-dev] Coordinating stable reviews
@ 2021-09-27 10:09 ` Pavel Machek
From: Pavel Machek @ 2021-09-27 10:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: uli, cip-dev

[...]

* Re: [cip-dev] Coordinating stable reviews
@ 2021-09-27 10:43 ` Ulrich Hecht
From: Ulrich Hecht @ 2021-09-27 10:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev, Pavel Machek

> On 09/27/2021 12:09 PM Pavel Machek <pavel@denx.de> wrote:
> Unfortunately, we don't have good system for coordinating reviews in
> -rc phase.
>
> There's a script (commit.py) that produces one-line-per-patch output
> suitable for review. One possibility would be to have shared place
> somewhere reviewers could tag "I'm working on these patches".
>
> I don't believe lts-commit-list.git repository is suitable for that;
> format suitable for review is different from what we have in
> lts-commit-list, and there is going to be multiple updates per day in
> busy periods.
>
> We don't really need commit messages for this. Actually, we don't
> really need to keep history, either. It would be good if system could
> be controlled from command line for easy scripting.
>
> Any ideas what kind of service could be used for this?

gitlab comes to mind. IIUC, wiki pages are part of the project, but
contained in a separate git repository.

The output of commit.py is practically markdown already; just add a
table header and some extra "|"'s, and you're good.

There will be a history, but I think that can be safely ignored.

CU
Uli

From: Ulrich Hecht @ 2021-09-27 10:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev, Pavel Machek

@ 2021-09-28 12:29 ` nobuhiro1.iwamatsu
From: nobuhiro1.iwamatsu @ 2021-09-28 12:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev, uli

Hi,

It's different from the current system, but how about using patchwork?
Somehow forward the patch posted to stable@kernel.org as -rc to
cip-dev and review it at patchwork.kernel.org. It doesn't meet all
requests because it can't be operated from the command line.

Also, as Ulrich wrote, I think it's a good idea to use gitlab.
I suggest a way to comment on the commit instead of using the gitlab wiki.
for example, we can comment on the following URL (commit). We need to investigate,
but I think it can be manipulated from the command line using Gitlab's
API or libraries.

  https://gitlab.com/cip-project/cip-kernel/linux-cip/-/commit/d25b48d4d3ef1ce75ce5628a8a3ba60a2427090f

> There's a script (commit.py) that produces one-line-per-patch output
> suitable for review. One possibility would be to have shared place
> somewhere reviewers could tag "I'm working on these patches".
>
> I don't believe lts-commit-list.git repository is suitable for that;
> format suitable for review is different from what we have in
> lts-commit-list, and there is going to be multiple updates per day in
> busy periods.
>
> We don't really need commit messages for this. Actually, we don't
> really need to keep history, either. It would be good if system could
> be controlled from command line for easy scripting.
>
> Any ideas what kind of service could be used for this?

Best regards,
  Nobuhiro

* Re: [cip-dev] Coordinating stable reviews
@ 2021-09-28 12:29   ` Nobuhiro Iwamatsu
From: Nobuhiro Iwamatsu @ 2021-09-28 12:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev, uli