cryptsetup.lists.linux.dev archive mirror
* Single User (single or multiple keyslots with similar or different passphrase)
@ 2022-11-21  8:42 Lamy Geier
From: Lamy Geier @ 2022-11-21  8:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cryptsetup

Hello!

I am a single user and owner of the data in my laptop. I was wondering
if it is any better to have single or multiple keyslots with same or
different passphrases. I am using LUKS2 on a partition for root, home
and swap volumes (LVM). And LUKS1 for a boot partition. Please suggest
which of the following is better choice and why:

1. Should I have single passphrase and single keyslot for LUKS1 and LUKS2?
2. Multiple Keyslots for LUKS1 and LUKS2 with same passphrase.
3. Multiple Keyslots for LUKS1 and LUKS2 with different passphrase.

- My reasoning was that may be having redundant information, it helps in
times of crisis for recovery.

- Note: The data will be owned and used only by me.

--
Thanks and Regards

Lamy

* Frequency of backup of headers for LUKS1 and LUKS2
@ 2022-11-21 11:06 ` Lamy Geier
From: Lamy Geier @ 2022-11-21 11:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cryptsetup

Given that I won't add or remove any key from header key slot, or I
won't re-encrypt (i.e. change the master key), how often do I need to
backup the LUKS1 and LUKS2 header? Is doing the backup once enough and
making sure that the backup is not corrupted?

Are there any other situation where one needs to backup the headers of
LUKS1 and LUKS2 more often?

I was wondering if the contents of header changes in any other way, that
requires backup, if it affects restore possibility.

Thanks and Regards

Lamy

* Re: Frequency of backup of headers for LUKS1 and LUKS2
@ 2022-11-21 13:24   ` Arno Wagner
From: Arno Wagner @ 2022-11-21 13:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lamy Geier; +Cc: cryptsetup

Header backup is only needed if you change the header.
Data-area backup is another question.

Arno

--
Arno Wagner,     Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform.,    Email: arno@wagner.name
----

* Re: Single User (single or multiple keyslots with similar or different passphrase)
@ 2022-11-21 13:26 ` Arno Wagner
From: Arno Wagner @ 2022-11-21 13:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lamy Geier; +Cc: cryptsetup

One Keyslot should be enough, but you should hve a header backup.
The only redundancy multiple passphrases give you is basically
multiple passphrases.

Regards,
Arno