cti-tac.lists.linuxfoundation.org archive mirror
From: Siddhesh Poyarekar <siddhesh@gotplt.org>
To: Joseph Myers <josmyers@redhat.com>,
	Konstantin Ryabitsev <konstantin@linuxfoundation.org>
Cc: cti-tac@lists.linuxfoundation.org
Subject: Re: Hashing out the scope of work
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2024 14:52:41 -0400	[thread overview]

On 2024-04-29 12:35, Joseph Myers wrote:

>>> The existing glibc Patchwork database should be transitioned across.
>>
>> Can you give more information why this is desired? This is uncharted
>> territory and I'm not sure how much effort this would require.
>
> The same reason as anything else.  Patches from before the transition are
> just as much in need of review as those from after the transition, so the
> state of review of those patches should be maintained across the
> transition.
>
> I don't really think of moving patch review state or bug database state
> across as substantially different from moving the existing git repository
> - these are all key parts of the development process and shouldn't have an
> artificial divide based on the details of when hosting changed, once the
> transition happens developers should only need to interact with the new
> system, for tracking state of old or new patches, for updating state of
> old or new bugs.

I believe we had explicitly agreed in a previous CTI TAC meeting to
start over with a clean slate for patchwork and not bother with
migrating the previous database.

If the active patch backlog is a concern then maybe we could refer to
both instances for a while in the patch review call and move over
completely at the end of that period.  I don't remember ever managing to
actually run through the full backlog (that currently stands at 469
patches) during any review session.

Sid