cti-tac.lists.linuxfoundation.org archive mirror
From: Joseph Myers <josmyers@redhat.com>
To: Konstantin Ryabitsev <konstantin@linuxfoundation.org>
Cc: Siddhesh Poyarekar <siddhesh@gotplt.org>,
	 cti-tac@lists.linuxfoundation.org
Subject: Re: Hashing out the scope of work
Date: Tue, 7 May 2024 21:45:31 +0000 (UTC)	[thread overview]

On Tue, 7 May 2024, Konstantin Ryabitsev wrote:

> I recommend this course of action:
>
> 1. We convert all current bugs in the glibc component of
> sourceware.org/bugzilla to a public-inbox archive, searchable by the bug
> id. This functionality exists in our bugspray project and only requires
> non-privileged REST access to bugzilla.
> 2. On the migration date, all glibc components at sourceware are closed
> for creating new bugs. This still allows completing existing bug
> entries.

Previous bugs would continue being discussed and fixed for decades; this
would require new contributors to create accounts in both databases
depending on how old the bugs they are working with are, and would require
new milestones to be created in the old database for every future release
so old bugs can be marked as fixed in such a release, and would require
the script listing fixed bugs for NEWS to look in both databases
indefinitely.  I don't think requiring people to work with two databases
indefinitely is a good idea.

> 3. The new bugzilla at CTI starts from a fresh state, with bug numbers
> starting with 100000, to indicate a clear break.

So, while I think starting new bugs with number 100000 is a good idea, I
also think all the old glibc bugs (both open and closed) should be copied
to the new database so people don't need to keep working with both
databases forever.

--
Joseph S. Myers
josmyers@redhat.com