dri-devel.lists.freedesktop.org archive mirror
* Re: ivpu TODO list items
       [not found] ` <ZS68dysac34rA32D@runicha.com>
@ 2023-10-18  7:50   ` Stanislaw Gruszka
From: Stanislaw Gruszka @ 2023-10-18  7:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Deepak R Varma; +Cc: Oded Gabbay, Jacek Lawrynowicz, dri-devel, linux-kernel

Hi

On Tue, Oct 17, 2023 at 10:25:19PM +0530, Deepak R Varma wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 13, 2023 at 12:54:43PM +0530, Deepak R Varma wrote:
> > Hello,
> > I am shortlisted as a mentee for the LF Mentorship program. I looked at the TODO
> > file for the ivpu driver for my project tasks. Could you please answer the
> > following questions:
> >
> > 1. Is the TODO list up to date? If not, can we have it updated? Let me know if I
> > can help.
It's not. Some of those was already implemented (but yet not submitted).
Some ideas there was dropped.

I think this file can be whole removed. Feel free to post patch for
that.

> > 2. Is it absolutely necessary for me to have a specialized hardware to test my
> > patches? Is it limited to the 14thGen or above CPU or do I need more than that?
Yes, I don't think someone can work on ivpu without hardware.

> > 3. Is it okay for me to work on the TODO list items. Let me know if you have a
> > preference [Please note I just started a few months ago and still learning].
I recommend you to work on items from:
https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/gpu/todo.html

> Hello,
> May I request the maintainer to review my questions and comment please?

Sorry, I haven't seen this email before.

Regards
Stanislaw

* Re: ivpu TODO list items
@ 2023-10-18 17:19     ` Deepak R Varma
From: Deepak R Varma @ 2023-10-18 17:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stanislaw Gruszka
  Cc: Deepak R Varma, Oded Gabbay, Jacek Lawrynowicz, dri-devel, linux-kernel

On Wed, Oct 18, 2023 at 09:50:53AM +0200, Stanislaw Gruszka wrote:
> Hi
>
> On Tue, Oct 17, 2023 at 10:25:19PM +0530, Deepak R Varma wrote:
> > On Fri, Oct 13, 2023 at 12:54:43PM +0530, Deepak R Varma wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > > I am shortlisted as a mentee for the LF Mentorship program. I looked at the TODO
> > > file for the ivpu driver for my project tasks. Could you please answer the
> > > following questions:
> > >
> > > 1. Is the TODO list up to date? If not, can we have it updated? Let me know if I
> > > can help.
> It's not. Some of those was already implemented (but yet not submitted).
> Some ideas there was dropped.
>
> I think this file can be whole removed. Feel free to post patch for
> that.

Hello,
Thank you for the response. I sincerely appreciate your time.
I will send in a patch to remove the TODO file.

> > > 2. Is it absolutely necessary for me to have a specialized hardware to test my
> > > patches? Is it limited to the 14thGen or above CPU or do I need more than that?
> Yes, I don't think someone can work on ivpu without hardware.

Okay. Could you suggest what would be the minimum hardware required to explore
this driver?

> > > 3. Is it okay for me to work on the TODO list items. Let me know if you have a
> > > preference [Please note I just started a few months ago and still learning].
> I recommend you to work on items from:
> https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/gpu/todo.html

This is helpful. I will review the list tiems.
Thank you again.

Deepak.

> > Hello,
> > May I request the maintainer to review my questions and comment please?
>
> Sorry, I haven't seen this email before.
>
> Regards
> Stanislaw

* Re: ivpu TODO list items
@ 2023-10-20  9:07       ` Stanislaw Gruszka
From: Stanislaw Gruszka @ 2023-10-20  9:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Deepak R Varma; +Cc: Oded Gabbay, Jacek Lawrynowicz, dri-devel, linux-kernel

On Wed, Oct 18, 2023 at 10:49:15PM +0530, Deepak R Varma wrote:
> > Yes, I don't think someone can work on ivpu without hardware.
>
> Okay. Could you suggest what would be the minimum hardware required to explore
> this driver?

As you wrote, you need to have 14th gen Intel CPU i.e. Meteor Lake.
Only this ... or as much as this.

Regards
Stanislaw