dri-devel.lists.freedesktop.org archive mirror
* DRM accel and debugfs/sysfs
@ 2023-02-01 15:20 Stanislaw Gruszka
From: Stanislaw Gruszka @ 2023-02-01 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Vetter
  Cc: Jeffrey Hugo, Oded Gabbay, Maíra Canal, dri-devel,
	Jacek Lawrynowicz

Hi

I was about to send debugfs support for ivpu and noticed that there
are current changes that deprecate drm_devel->debugfs_init callback.

Further I looked at this commit [1], that stated we should not
use drm_minor for debugfs and sysfs. What is quite contrary to
what drm accel framework did in the first place.

So my question is how we should use debugfs/sysfs in accel?
Use it with old fashioned minor-centric way or change
the framework somehow ?

[1] https://cgit.freedesktop.org/drm/drm-misc/commit/?id=99845faae7099cd704ebf67514c1157c26960a26

Regards
Stanislaw

* Re: DRM accel and debugfs/sysfs
@ 2023-02-07 11:31 ` Maíra Canal
From: Maíra Canal @ 2023-02-07 11:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stanislaw Gruszka, Daniel Vetter
  Cc: Oded Gabbay, Jeffrey Hugo, Jacek Lawrynowicz, dri-devel

Hi Stanislaw,

On 2/1/23 12:20, Stanislaw Gruszka wrote:
> Hi
>
> I was about to send debugfs support for ivpu and noticed that there
> are current changes that deprecate drm_devel->debugfs_init callback.
>
> Further I looked at this commit [1], that stated we should not
> use drm_minor for debugfs and sysfs. What is quite contrary to
> what drm accel framework did in the first place.
>
> So my question is how we should use debugfs/sysfs in accel?
> Use it with old fashioned minor-centric way or change
> the framework somehow ?

As we are trying to replace drm_debugfs_create_files() [1], it would
be nice to see the accel debugfs support use the new debugfs API. This
would mean using the debugfs_list from the drm_device, deprecating
the debugfs_init callback, and adding the a similar code snippet to
accel_debugfs_init:

list_for_each_entry_safe(entry, tmp, &dev->debugfs_list, list) {
	debugfs_create_file(entry->file.name, 0444,
			    minor->debugfs_root, entry, &drm_debugfs_entry_fops);
	list_del(&entry->list);

Maybe Daniel has some more thoughts on this matter, but I guess it
would be better to drop the use of the old-fashioned minor-centric
implementation in accel.

[1] https://cgit.freedesktop.org/drm/drm-misc/tree/Documentation/gpu/todo.rst#n511

Best Regards,
- Maíra Canal

@ 2023-02-07 15:43   ` Jeffrey Hugo
From: Jeffrey Hugo @ 2023-02-07 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maíra Canal, Stanislaw Gruszka, Daniel Vetter
  Cc: Oded Gabbay, Jacek Lawrynowicz, dri-devel

On 2/7/2023 4:31 AM, Maíra Canal wrote:
> Hi Stanislaw,
>
> On 2/1/23 12:20, Stanislaw Gruszka wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I was about to send debugfs support for ivpu and noticed that there
>> are current changes that deprecate drm_devel->debugfs_init callback.
>>
>> Further I looked at this commit [1], that stated we should not
>> use drm_minor for debugfs and sysfs. What is quite contrary to
>> what drm accel framework did in the first place.
>>
>> So my question is how we should use debugfs/sysfs in accel?
>> Use it with old fashioned minor-centric way or change
>> the framework somehow ?
>
> As we are trying to replace drm_debugfs_create_files() [1], it would
> be nice to see the accel debugfs support use the new debugfs API. This
> would mean using the debugfs_list from the drm_device, deprecating
> the debugfs_init callback, and adding the a similar code snippet to
> accel_debugfs_init:
>
> list_for_each_entry_safe(entry, tmp, &dev->debugfs_list, list) {
>      debugfs_create_file(entry->file.name, 0444,
>                  minor->debugfs_root, entry, &drm_debugfs_entry_fops);
>      list_del(&entry->list);
>
> Maybe Daniel has some more thoughts on this matter, but I guess it
> would be better to drop the use of the old-fashioned minor-centric
> implementation in accel.
>
> [1]
> https://cgit.freedesktop.org/drm/drm-misc/tree/Documentation/gpu/todo.rst#n511
>

> Best Regards,
> - Maíra Canal

Thank you for the details Maira.  It helps to explain what the todo is
suggesting.  Is there an example of a driver/drm_device that uses
debugfs_list which you can easily point to?

-Jeff

@ 2023-02-07 16:17     ` Maíra Canal
From: Maíra Canal @ 2023-02-07 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeffrey Hugo, Stanislaw Gruszka, Daniel Vetter
  Cc: Oded Gabbay, Jacek Lawrynowicz, dri-devel

On 2/7/23 12:43, Jeffrey Hugo wrote:
> On 2/7/2023 4:31 AM, Maíra Canal wrote:
>> Hi Stanislaw,
>>
>> On 2/1/23 12:20, Stanislaw Gruszka wrote:
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> I was about to send debugfs support for ivpu and noticed that there
>>> are current changes that deprecate drm_devel->debugfs_init callback.
>>>
>>> Further I looked at this commit [1], that stated we should not
>>> use drm_minor for debugfs and sysfs. What is quite contrary to
>>> what drm accel framework did in the first place.
>>>
>>> So my question is how we should use debugfs/sysfs in accel?
>>> Use it with old fashioned minor-centric way or change
>>> the framework somehow ?
>>
>> As we are trying to replace drm_debugfs_create_files() [1], it would
>> be nice to see the accel debugfs support use the new debugfs API. This
>> would mean using the debugfs_list from the drm_device, deprecating
>> the debugfs_init callback, and adding the a similar code snippet to
>> accel_debugfs_init:
>>
>> list_for_each_entry_safe(entry, tmp, &dev->debugfs_list, list) {
>>      debugfs_create_file(entry->file.name, 0444,
>>                  minor->debugfs_root, entry, &drm_debugfs_entry_fops);
>>      list_del(&entry->list);
>>
>> Maybe Daniel has some more thoughts on this matter, but I guess it
>> would be better to drop the use of the old-fashioned minor-centric
>> implementation in accel.
>>
>> [1] https://cgit.freedesktop.org/drm/drm-misc/tree/Documentation/gpu/todo.rst#n511
>>
>> Best Regards,
>> - Maíra Canal
>
> Thank you for the details Maira.  It helps to explain what the todo is suggesting.  Is there an example of a driver/drm_device that uses debugfs_list which you can easily point to?

The implementation of this device-centered infrastructure is linked in [1]
and an example of the conversion of debugfs APIs is linked in [2], and other
drivers such as v3d, vkms, vc4 and gud use this new API as well.

[1] https://cgit.freedesktop.org/drm/drm-misc/commit/?id=1c9cacbea880513a896aee65a5c58007bcb55653
[2] https://cgit.freedesktop.org/drm/drm-misc/commit/?id=2e3ab8a6994f265bbd4dbd00448b84548f18464c

Best Regards,
- Maíra Canal

@ 2023-02-08 18:07       ` Daniel Vetter
From: Daniel Vetter @ 2023-02-08 18:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maíra Canal
  Cc: Jeffrey Hugo, Daniel Vetter, Oded Gabbay, dri-devel,

On Tue, Feb 07, 2023 at 01:17:47PM -0300, Maíra Canal wrote:
> On 2/7/23 12:43, Jeffrey Hugo wrote:
> > On 2/7/2023 4:31 AM, Maíra Canal wrote:
> > > Hi Stanislaw,

> > > As we are trying to replace drm_debugfs_create_files() [1], it would
> > > be nice to see the accel debugfs support use the new debugfs API. This
> > > would mean using the debugfs_list from the drm_device, deprecating
> > > the debugfs_init callback, and adding the a similar code snippet to
> > > accel_debugfs_init:
> > >
> > > list_for_each_entry_safe(entry, tmp, &dev->debugfs_list, list) {
> > >      debugfs_create_file(entry->file.name, 0444,
> > >                  minor->debugfs_root, entry, &drm_debugfs_entry_fops);
> > >      list_del(&entry->list);
> > >
> > > Maybe Daniel has some more thoughts on this matter, but I guess it
> > > would be better to drop the use of the old-fashioned minor-centric
> > > implementation in accel.

It was a simple case of two things landing in parallel and not being
synchronized. Would be good if accel could be adapted to use the new
debugfs infra, now that both accel and the new debugfs stuff have landed.
-Daniel

--
Daniel Vetter
Software Engineer, Intel Corporation

* Re: DRM accel and debugfs/sysfs
@ 2023-02-08 18:13         ` Oded Gabbay
From: Oded Gabbay @ 2023-02-08 18:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Vetter
  Cc: Jeffrey Hugo, Daniel Vetter, Maíra Canal, dri-devel,

On Wed, Feb 8, 2023 at 8:07 PM Daniel Vetter <daniel@ffwll.ch> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 07, 2023 at 01:17:47PM -0300, Maíra Canal wrote:

> It was a simple case of two things landing in parallel and not being
> synchronized. Would be good if accel could be adapted to use the new
> debugfs infra, now that both accel and the new debugfs stuff have landed.
> -Daniel
Yes, definitely.
Does anyone volunteer to send a patch to align ?
If not, we will do it internally and send a patch.

Oded

@ 2023-02-08 18:31           ` Maíra Canal
From: Maíra Canal @ 2023-02-08 18:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oded Gabbay, Daniel Vetter
  Cc: Daniel Vetter, Jeffrey Hugo, Jacek Lawrynowicz, dri-devel,
	Stanislaw Gruszka

On 2/8/23 15:13, Oded Gabbay wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 8, 2023 at 8:07 PM Daniel Vetter <daniel@ffwll.ch> wrote:

>> It was a simple case of two things landing in parallel and not being
>> synchronized. Would be good if accel could be adapted to use the new
>> debugfs infra, now that both accel and the new debugfs stuff have landed.
>> -Daniel
> Yes, definitely.
> Does anyone volunteer to send a patch to align ?

I can send a patch this week align it.

Best Regards,
- Maíra Canal

@ 2023-02-09 13:17           ` Maíra Canal
From: Maíra Canal @ 2023-02-09 13:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oded Gabbay, Daniel Vetter
  Cc: Daniel Vetter, Jeffrey Hugo, Jacek Lawrynowicz, dri-devel,
	Stanislaw Gruszka

On 2/8/23 15:13, Oded Gabbay wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 8, 2023 at 8:07 PM Daniel Vetter <daniel@ffwll.ch> wrote:

>> It was a simple case of two things landing in parallel and not being
>> synchronized. Would be good if accel could be adapted to use the new
>> debugfs infra, now that both accel and the new debugfs stuff have landed.
>> -Daniel
> Yes, definitely.
> Does anyone volunteer to send a patch to align ?
> If not, we will do it internally and send a patch.

Christian sent today a patchset addressing some problems in the debugfs
API [1]. As he is planning to remove the debugfs_list, I guess it would
be better to wait a while to align accel with the debugfs API,
considering that it currently changing.

Also, it would be nice to get feedback from the accel side.

[1] https://lore.kernel.org/dri-devel/613b9aec-7105-ca2d-13cd-16ddd85a6fda@igalia.com/T/

Best Regards,
- Maíra Canal

@ 2023-02-14  7:53             ` Stanislaw Gruszka
From: Stanislaw Gruszka @ 2023-02-14  7:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maíra Canal
  Cc: Jeffrey Hugo, Daniel Vetter, Oded Gabbay, dri-devel, Jacek Lawrynowicz

On Thu, Feb 09, 2023 at 10:17:26AM -0300, Maíra Canal wrote:
> Christian sent today a patchset addressing some problems in the debugfs
> API [1]. As he is planning to remove the debugfs_list, I guess it would
> be better to wait a while to align accel with the debugfs API,
> considering that it currently changing.
>
> Also, it would be nice to get feedback from the accel side.
>
> [1] https://lore.kernel.org/dri-devel/613b9aec-7105-ca2d-13cd-16ddd85a6fda@igalia.com/T/

I'll cc accel people and continue the discussion there.

Regards
Stanislaw