dri-devel.lists.freedesktop.org archive mirror
* Missing commits from drm-misc-next on linux-next
@ 2024-03-20 15:07 Nícolas F. R. A. Prado
From: Nícolas F. R. A. Prado @ 2024-03-20 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maxime Ripard, Thomas Zimmermann, Neil Armstrong; +Cc: dri-devel, kernel

Hi,

I noticed that there are some commits from drm-misc-next [1] that haven't been
added to the for-linux-next [2] branch, and consequently haven't made their way
into linux-next.

Namely, commit bf0390e2c95b ("drm/panel: add samsung s6e3fa7 panel driver") and
commit 2689b33b8864 ("dt-bindings: display: panel-simple-dsi: add s6e3fa7
ams559nk06 compat") which have been applied almost a month ago [3].

I noticed because running 'make dtbs_check' on today's next is showing new
warnings, but with these commits applied there shouldn't be any warning.

Could you please take a look? I'm guessing a merge was forgotten somewhere along
the line on the for-linux-next branch.

Thanks,
Nícolas

[1] https://cgit.freedesktop.org/drm/drm-misc/log/?h=drm-misc-next
[2] https://cgit.freedesktop.org/drm/drm-misc/log/?h=for-linux-next
[3] https://lore.kernel.org/all/170919678300.2018319.4183838499915522690.b4-ty@linaro.org/

* Re: Missing commits from drm-misc-next on linux-next
@ 2024-03-20 15:12 ` Chen-Yu Tsai
From: Chen-Yu Tsai @ 2024-03-20 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nícolas F. R. A. Prado
  Cc: Maxime Ripard, Thomas Zimmermann, Neil Armstrong, dri-devel, kernel

On Wed, Mar 20, 2024 at 11:07 PM Nícolas F. R. A. Prado
<nfraprado@collabora.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I noticed that there are some commits from drm-misc-next [1] that haven't been
> added to the for-linux-next [2] branch, and consequently haven't made their way
> into linux-next.
>
> Namely, commit bf0390e2c95b ("drm/panel: add samsung s6e3fa7 panel driver") and
> commit 2689b33b8864 ("dt-bindings: display: panel-simple-dsi: add s6e3fa7
> ams559nk06 compat") which have been applied almost a month ago [3].
>
> I noticed because running 'make dtbs_check' on today's next is showing new
> warnings, but with these commits applied there shouldn't be any warning.
>
> Could you please take a look? I'm guessing a merge was forgotten somewhere along
> the line on the for-linux-next branch.

for-linux-next splits from drm-misc-next due to patch acceptance cut off
at around -rc6. Instead of not accepting / merging patches after -rc6,
drm-misc simply lets drm-misc-next continue, while fixes for -next
content go into for-linux-next. It's a bit complicated but the alternative
would be to ask everyone to stop merging patches in.

ChenYu

@ 2024-03-20 15:19 ` Maxime Ripard
From: Maxime Ripard @ 2024-03-20 15:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nícolas F. R. A. Prado
  Cc: Thomas Zimmermann, Neil Armstrong, dri-devel, kernel

Hi,

On Wed, Mar 20, 2024 at 11:07:34AM -0400, Nícolas F. R. A. Prado wrote:
> I noticed that there are some commits from drm-misc-next [1] that haven't been
> added to the for-linux-next [2] branch, and consequently haven't made their way
> into linux-next.
>
> Namely, commit bf0390e2c95b ("drm/panel: add samsung s6e3fa7 panel driver") and
> commit 2689b33b8864 ("dt-bindings: display: panel-simple-dsi: add s6e3fa7
> ams559nk06 compat") which have been applied almost a month ago [3].
>
> I noticed because running 'make dtbs_check' on today's next is showing new
> warnings, but with these commits applied there shouldn't be any warning.
>
> Could you please take a look? I'm guessing a merge was forgotten somewhere along
> the line on the for-linux-next branch.

Those commits are in drm-misc-next which is now targetting the 6.10
merge window. In order not to disrupt the oncoming 6.9 release though,
drm-misc-next is removed from the for-next branch, it will be
reintroduced after 6.9-rc1.

Maxime

* Re: Missing commits from drm-misc-next on linux-next
@ 2024-03-20 17:59   ` Nícolas F. R. A. Prado
From: Nícolas F. R. A. Prado @ 2024-03-20 17:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maxime Ripard, Chen-Yu Tsai
  Cc: Thomas Zimmermann, Neil Armstrong, dri-devel, kernel

On Wed, Mar 20, 2024 at 04:19:51PM +0100, Maxime Ripard wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Mar 20, 2024 at 11:07:34AM -0400, Nícolas F. R. A. Prado wrote:
> > I noticed that there are some commits from drm-misc-next [1] that haven't been
> > added to the for-linux-next [2] branch, and consequently haven't made their way
> > into linux-next.
> >
> > Namely, commit bf0390e2c95b ("drm/panel: add samsung s6e3fa7 panel driver") and
> > commit 2689b33b8864 ("dt-bindings: display: panel-simple-dsi: add s6e3fa7
> > ams559nk06 compat") which have been applied almost a month ago [3].
> >
> > I noticed because running 'make dtbs_check' on today's next is showing new
> > warnings, but with these commits applied there shouldn't be any warning.
> >
> > Could you please take a look? I'm guessing a merge was forgotten somewhere along
> > the line on the for-linux-next branch.
>
> Those commits are in drm-misc-next which is now targetting the 6.10
> merge window. In order not to disrupt the oncoming 6.9 release though,
> drm-misc-next is removed from the for-next branch, it will be
> reintroduced after 6.9-rc1.
>
> Maxime

I see. I didn't realize that's how drm-misc-next worked.

Interestingly enough, the reason why this happened is because the for-next
branch on the qcom tree [1] also includes changes that are queued for 6.10. So
it seems that every subsystem has a different view of whether linux-next should
include only changes for the next (or current) merge window (6.9 in this case),
or if it should also include changes for the following merge window (6.10 in
this case). The end result is that in the time period leading to, and during,
the merge window, linux-next might be in an inconsistent state - it's neither a
snapshot for this release's rc1, nor a snapshot for the rc1 of the following
release. This seems to me to partially defeat the purpose of linux-next, so I
wonder if it's just a matter of better documenting the expectations for
linux-next.

Anyway, at least for now I'll keep in mind that linux-next can be inconsistent
when looking through future results.

Thank you both for the insight.

Thanks,
Nícolas

[1] https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/qcom/linux.git/log/?h=for-next

* Re: Missing commits from drm-misc-next on linux-next
@ 2024-03-20 18:08     ` Chen-Yu Tsai
From: Chen-Yu Tsai @ 2024-03-20 18:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nícolas F. R. A. Prado
  Cc: Maxime Ripard, Thomas Zimmermann, Neil Armstrong, dri-devel, kernel

On Thu, Mar 21, 2024 at 1:59 AM Nícolas F. R. A. Prado
<nfraprado@collabora.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 20, 2024 at 04:19:51PM +0100, Maxime Ripard wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Wed, Mar 20, 2024 at 11:07:34AM -0400, Nícolas F. R. A. Prado wrote:
> > > I noticed that there are some commits from drm-misc-next [1] that haven't been
> > > added to the for-linux-next [2] branch, and consequently haven't made their way
> > > into linux-next.
> > >
> > > Namely, commit bf0390e2c95b ("drm/panel: add samsung s6e3fa7 panel driver") and
> > > commit 2689b33b8864 ("dt-bindings: display: panel-simple-dsi: add s6e3fa7
> > > ams559nk06 compat") which have been applied almost a month ago [3].
> > >
> > > I noticed because running 'make dtbs_check' on today's next is showing new
> > > warnings, but with these commits applied there shouldn't be any warning.
> > >
> > > Could you please take a look? I'm guessing a merge was forgotten somewhere along
> > > the line on the for-linux-next branch.
> >
> > Those commits are in drm-misc-next which is now targetting the 6.10
> > merge window. In order not to disrupt the oncoming 6.9 release though,
> > drm-misc-next is removed from the for-next branch, it will be
> > reintroduced after 6.9-rc1.
> >
> > Maxime
>
> I see. I didn't realize that's how drm-misc-next worked.
>
> Interestingly enough, the reason why this happened is because the for-next
> branch on the qcom tree [1] also includes changes that are queued for 6.10. So
> it seems that every subsystem has a different view of whether linux-next should
> include only changes for the next (or current) merge window (6.9 in this case),
> or if it should also include changes for the following merge window (6.10 in
> this case). The end result is that in the time period leading to, and during,
> the merge window, linux-next might be in an inconsistent state - it's neither a
> snapshot for this release's rc1, nor a snapshot for the rc1 of the following
> release. This seems to me to partially defeat the purpose of linux-next, so I
> wonder if it's just a matter of better documenting the expectations for
> linux-next.

AFAIK 6.10 material should not be included in -next until after the merge
window has closed. If they are including it then they are doing it wrong.

ChenYu

@ 2024-03-20 19:50       ` Nícolas F. R. A. Prado
From: Nícolas F. R. A. Prado @ 2024-03-20 19:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chen-Yu Tsai, Bjorn Andersson, Konrad Dybcio
  Cc: Maxime Ripard, Thomas Zimmermann, Neil Armstrong, dri-devel,
	kernel, linux-arm-msm

On Thu, Mar 21, 2024 at 02:08:59AM +0800, Chen-Yu Tsai wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 21, 2024 at 1:59 AM Nícolas F. R. A. Prado
> <nfraprado@collabora.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, Mar 20, 2024 at 04:19:51PM +0100, Maxime Ripard wrote:
> > > Hi,

> > > Those commits are in drm-misc-next which is now targetting the 6.10
> > > merge window. In order not to disrupt the oncoming 6.9 release though,
> > > drm-misc-next is removed from the for-next branch, it will be
> > > reintroduced after 6.9-rc1.
> > >
> > > Maxime
> >
> > I see. I didn't realize that's how drm-misc-next worked.
> >
> > Interestingly enough, the reason why this happened is because the for-next
> > branch on the qcom tree [1] also includes changes that are queued for 6.10. So
> > it seems that every subsystem has a different view of whether linux-next should
> > include only changes for the next (or current) merge window (6.9 in this case),
> > or if it should also include changes for the following merge window (6.10 in
> > this case). The end result is that in the time period leading to, and during,
> > the merge window, linux-next might be in an inconsistent state - it's neither a
> > snapshot for this release's rc1, nor a snapshot for the rc1 of the following
> > release. This seems to me to partially defeat the purpose of linux-next, so I
> > wonder if it's just a matter of better documenting the expectations for
> > linux-next.
>
> AFAIK 6.10 material should not be included in -next until after the merge
> window has closed. If they are including it then they are doing it wrong.

+CC QCOM folks

Indeed I was just pointed out by a colleague to this message from Stephen
clearly stating linux-next should only contain commits for v6.9. [1]

QCOM folks: FYI there are commits scheduled for 6.10 in your for-next branch,
which is not supposed to happen according to Stephen.

Thanks,
Nícolas

[1] https://lore.kernel.org/linux-next/20240319164505.485b3801@canb.auug.org.au/