fio.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* Using fio with adjusted parameters for use case "DB"
@ 2023-03-07 14:30 Thomas Schneider
From: Thomas Schneider @ 2023-03-07 14:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: fio

Hello,

I want to benchmark different storage devices with an I/O workload
generated by the "real" application: DB.

A typcial command could be:
fio --name=random-writers --ioengine=libaio --iodepth=4 --rw=randwrite
--bs=1024 --direct=1 --size=64m --numjobs=2 runtime=120s

The question is regarding parameters size and runtime:
- What value should be used for size? Should this be the same as
allocated disk space by DB data files? Or just a (reasonable) portion of
this? DB data files could be up to xTB.
- Is it advisable to use runtime? If yes, would this somehow contradict
to size, means if I use a larger size, then runtime is obviously longer.

Regards
Thomas

* Using fio with adjusted parameters for use case "DB"
@ 2023-03-02  9:49 74cmonty
From: 74cmonty @ 2023-03-02  9:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: fio

Hello,

I want to benchmark different storage devices with an I/O workload
generated by the "real" application: DB.

A typcial command could be:
fio --name=random-writers --ioengine=libaio --iodepth=4 --rw=randwrite
--bs=1024 --direct=1 --size=64m --numjobs=2 runtime=120s

The question is regarding parameters size and runtime:
- What value should be used for size? Should this be the same as
allocated disk space by DB data files? Or just a (reasonable) portion of
this? DB data files could be up to n TB.