fio.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* Fwd: Reverse Sequential Read or Write
       [not found] <CAJ3QLKfSFjufUU2htxZQywrJX7iYiEwPGZf2TNdyO7O4u3tVYQ@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2023-02-03 17:10 ` Jay Han
From: Jay Han @ 2023-02-03 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: fio

Hello,
I am trying to configure a sequential read or write pattern that reads
or writes in reverse manner in terms of LBAs. Is this feasible with
the features that are in current build? If so, any guidance would be
greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Jay,

* Re: Reverse Sequential Read or Write
@ 2023-02-03 18:06   ` Ankit Kumar
       [not found]     ` <CAJ3QLKf4rUaxDAx8=Ysnp9EhYBsv4oEcRw5EuExOsav-1MP=ow@mail.gmail.com>
From: Ankit Kumar @ 2023-02-03 18:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jay Han; +Cc: fio

Hey Jan,

Replying again as the first one didn't go to the mailing list because
of that not being in plain text.

Yes, you can read/write in reverse order and there is already an
example fio configuration.
Check out:
https://github.com/axboe/fio/blob/master/examples/backwards-read.fio

Regards
Ankit

@ 2023-02-03 21:17       ` Jay Han
From: Jay Han @ 2023-02-03 21:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ankit Kumar; +Cc: fio

Thank you Ankit! I captured a trace using the example config file.
What does rw=read:-8k translate to in terms of LBA? I am seeing 4K seq
read in reverse manner. I am not sure what that 8k implies.
Each read is apart by 8. For example, the workload accessed LBAs
1540000, 1539992, 1539984, 1539976, 1539968, and so on.
Each read requested 8 logical blocks and the sector size is 512B which
makes up a 4K read.

Can you elaborate the -8K for me please?

@ 2023-02-03 22:35         ` Vincent Fu
From: Vincent Fu @ 2023-02-03 22:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jay Han, Ankit Kumar; +Cc: fio

On 2/3/23 16:17, Jay Han wrote:
> Thank you Ankit! I captured a trace using the example config file.
> What does rw=read:-8k translate to in terms of LBA? I am seeing 4K seq
> read in reverse manner. I am not sure what that 8k implies.
> Each read is apart by 8. For example, the workload accessed LBAs
> 1540000, 1539992, 1539984, 1539976, 1539968, and so on.
> Each read requested 8 logical blocks and the sector size is 512B which
> makes up a 4K read.
>
> Can you elaborate the -8K for me please?

The relevant documentation for the option in question is at the end of
this section:

https://fio.readthedocs.io/en/latest/fio_doc.html#cmdoption-arg-readwrite

Basically fio is subtracting 8K from the end of each IO in order to get
the next LBA to use.

Vincent

* Re: Reverse Sequential Read or Write
@ 2023-02-03 22:47           ` Jay Han