io-uring.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* [Question] testing results of support async buffered reads feature
@ 2020-10-10  9:39 Hao_Xu
From: Hao_Xu @ 2020-10-10  9:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: io-uring, Jens Axboe

Hi Jens,
I've done some testing for io_uring async buffered reads with fio. But I
found something strange to me.
- when readahead is exactly turned off, the async buffered reads feature
appears to be worse than the io-wq method in terms of IOPS.
- when readahead is on, async buffered reads works better but the
optimization rate seems to be related with the size of readahead.
I'm wondering why.

my environment is:
	server: physical server
	kernel: mainline 5.9.0-rc8+ latest commit 6f2f486d57c4d562cdf4
	fs: ext4
	device: nvme
	fio: 3.20

I did the tests by setting and commenting the code:
	filp->f_mode |= FMODE_BUF_RASYNC;
in fs/ext4/file.c ext4_file_open()

the IOPS in different condition is below:

when blockdev setra 0 /mnt/nvme0n1
QD/Test		FMODE_BUF_RASYNC set	FMODE_BUF_RASYNC not set
1		12.9k			11.0k
2		32.4k			29.7k
4		65.8k			62.1k
8		123k			116k
16		211k			208k
32		235k			296k
64		241k			328k
128		229k			312k

the async buffered reads feature has a smaller IOPS.

when blockdev setra 64 /mnt/nvme0n1
QD/Test		FMODE_BUF_RASYNC set	FMODE_BUF_RASYNC not set
1		11.4k			12.2k
2		23.8k			30.0k
4		52.7k			61.7k
8		122k			114k
16		208k			181k
32		237k			199k
64		260k			185k
128		231k			201k

for QD=64	(260-185)/185 = 40.5%

when blockdev setra 128 /mnt/nvme0n1
QD/Test		FMODE_BUF_RASYNC set	FMODE_BUF_RASYNC not set
1		11.4k			10.8k
2		23.9k			22.7k
4		53.1k			46.5k
8		122k			106k
16		204k			182k
32		212k			200k
64		242k			202k
128		229k			188k

for QD=64	(242-202)/202 = 20.0%

when blockdev setra 256 /mnt/nvme0n1
QD/Test		FMODE_BUF_RASYNC set	FMODE_BUF_RASYNC not set
1		11.5k			12.2k
2		23.8k			29.7k
4		52.9k			61.9k
8		121k			117k
16		207k			186k
32		229k			204k
64		230k			211k
128		240k			203k

for QD=64	(230-211)/211 = 9.0%

the arguments of fio I use are:
fio_test.sh:
blockdev --setra $2 /dev/nvme0n1
fio -filename=/mnt/nvme0n1/fio_read_test.txt \
     -buffered=1 \
     -iodepth $1 \
     -rw=randread \
     -ioengine=io_uring \
     -randseed=89 \
     -runtime=10s \
     -norandommap \
     -direct=0 \
     -bs=4k \
     -size=4G \
     -name=rand_read_4k

* Re: [Question] testing results of support async buffered reads feature
@ 2020-10-10 19:17 ` Jens Axboe
From: Jens Axboe @ 2020-10-10 19:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hao_Xu, io-uring

On 10/10/20 3:39 AM, Hao_Xu wrote:
> Hi Jens,
> I've done some testing for io_uring async buffered reads with fio. But I
> found something strange to me.
> - when readahead is exactly turned off, the async buffered reads feature
> appears to be worse than the io-wq method in terms of IOPS.
> - when readahead is on, async buffered reads works better but the
> optimization rate seems to be related with the size of readahead.
> I'm wondering why.

I don't think these are necessarily unexpected. By and large, the async
buffered reads are faster, have lower latencies, and are a lot more
efficient in terms of CPU usage. But there are cases where the old
thread offload will be quicker, as you're essentially spreading the
copying over more cores and can get higher bandwidth that way.

If you're utilizing a single ring for your application, then there might
be gains to be had at the higher end of the IOPS or bandwidth spectrum
by selectively using IOSQE_ASYNC for a (small) subset of the issued
reads.

--
Jens Axboe