iwd.lists.linux.dev archive mirror
* Enable access-point feature
@ 2023-05-24  7:14 clement.legoffic
From: clement.legoffic @ 2023-05-24  7:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: iwd

Hello,

I develop a simple software to discuss with iwd using DBus to do simple task such as Connect/Disconnect/Scan/Enable AP
The fact is that, the iwd version brings by package manager is 1.26 and I cannot get the Access Point API.
So I have tried to compile a more recent version of IWD (the one tagged 2.4)  and the access point API doesn't appear too.
I didn't find any information if it is a feature only available using --enable-FEATURE
In the documentation it is said that it is an experimental feature, but I don't know how to activate it.

So how to get this API available ?

Thanks,

Clément

Ce message et toutes les pieces jointes (ci-apres le "message") sont etablis a l'intention exclusive de ses destinataires.
Si vous recevez ce message par erreur, merci de le detruire et d'en avertir immediatement l'expediteur par e-mail.
Toute utilisation de ce message non conforme a sa destination, toute diffusion ou toute publication, totale ou partielle, est interdite, sauf autorisation expresse. Les communications sur Internet n'etant pas securisees, l'expediteur informe qu'il ne peut accepter aucune responsabilite quant au contenu de ce message.
This mail message and attachments (the "message") are solely intended for the addresses. It is confidential in nature.
If you receive this message in error, please delete it and immediately notify the sender by e-mail.
Any use other than its intended purpose, dissemination or disclosure, either whole or partial, is prohibited except if formal approval is granted. As communication on the Internet is not secure, the sender does not accept responsibility for the content of this message.

* Re: Enable access-point feature
@ 2023-05-24 14:11 ` James Prestwood
From: James Prestwood @ 2023-05-24 14:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: clement.legoffic, iwd

On 5/24/23 12:14 AM, clement.legoffic@kelio.com wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I develop a simple software to discuss with iwd using DBus to do simple task such as Connect/Disconnect/Scan/Enable AP
> The fact is that, the iwd version brings by package manager is 1.26 and I cannot get the Access Point API.
> So I have tried to compile a more recent version of IWD (the one tagged 2.4)  and the access point API doesn't appear too.
> I didn't find any information if it is a feature only available using --enable-FEATURE
> In the documentation it is said that it is an experimental feature, but I don't know how to activate it.

AP mode has been around since 2017, I think even within the first public
release (0.1).

> So how to get this API available ?

Starting an AP requires you set the adapter mode to AP which is done
using the "Mode" property on the Device interface. After that an
AccessPoint DBus interface should appear. Doing it with iwctl:

$ iwctl device <wlan> set-property Mode ap
$ iwctl ap <wlan> start MySSID secret123

Thanks,
James