kernelci.lists.linux.dev archive mirror
* UM-Linux compilation on Android Common Kernels
@ 2022-08-17 17:51 Elliot Berman
From: Elliot Berman @ 2022-08-17 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelci, tkjos

Hello there,

Qualcomm recently caught some build errors in UM-Linux on Android Common
Kernel. Todd suggested that these errors might be catchable by 0day. Can
UM-Linux compilation be enabled for Android Common Kernels?

ARCH=um SUBARCH=x86_64

Thanks,
Elliot

* Re: UM-Linux compilation on Android Common Kernels
@ 2022-08-17 18:05 ` Todd Kjos
From: Todd Kjos @ 2022-08-17 18:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Elliot Berman; +Cc: kernelci

On Wed, Aug 17, 2022 at 10:51 AM Elliot Berman <quic_eberman@quicinc.com>
wrote:

> Hello there,
>
> Qualcomm recently caught some build errors in UM-Linux on Android Common
> Kernel. Todd suggested that these errors might be catchable by 0day. Can

I think in this context, I meant "catchable by kernelci".

> UM-Linux compilation be enabled for Android Common Kernels?
>
> ARCH=um SUBARCH=x86_64

I support this, can we add this test for android kernels? (could limit to
5.10 an higher).

@ 2022-08-31 18:21   ` Todd Kjos
From: Todd Kjos @ 2022-08-31 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Elliot Berman; +Cc: kernelci

Ping. Is this possible?

@ 2022-09-01 13:03     ` Mark Brown
From: Mark Brown @ 2022-09-01 13:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelci, tkjos; +Cc: Elliot Berman

On Wed, Aug 31, 2022 at 11:21:28AM -0700, Todd Kjos via groups.io wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 17, 2022 at 11:05 AM Todd Kjos <tkjos@google.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, Aug 17, 2022 at 10:51 AM Elliot Berman <quic_eberman@quicinc.com> wrote:

> >> Qualcomm recently caught some build errors in UM-Linux on Android Common
> >> Kernel. Todd suggested that these errors might be catchable by 0day. Can

> > I think in this context, I meant "catchable by kernelci".

> >> UM-Linux compilation be enabled for Android Common Kernels?

> >> ARCH=um SUBARCH=x86_64

> > I support this, can we add this test for android kernels? (could limit to 5.10 an higher).

This is definitely technically doable, especially the build side, but
there'd be some work required to enable actually running the kernels and
tests on them.  We discussed this at the weekly meeting today, the main
issue would be finding someone who has the time to do the actual
w.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: UM-Linux compilation on Android Common Kernels
@ 2022-09-01 15:44       ` Todd Kjos
From: Todd Kjos @ 2022-09-01 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Brown; +Cc: kernelci, Elliot Berman

Could we start by building but not testing? That at least prevents build
breakage (which is the case that motivated this).

@ 2022-09-05 11:59         ` Mark Brown
From: Mark Brown @ 2022-09-05 11:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Todd Kjos; +Cc: kernelci, Elliot Berman

On Thu, Sep 01, 2022 at 08:44:25AM -0700, Todd Kjos wrote:
> Could we start by building but not testing? That at least prevents build
> breakage (which is the case that motivated this).

Yes, that's definitely an easier first step.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: UM-Linux compilation on Android Common Kernels
@ 2022-09-14 20:36           ` Todd Kjos
From: Todd Kjos @ 2022-09-14 20:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Brown; +Cc: kernelci, Elliot Berman

Is there an ETA for at least doing the builds?

@ 2022-09-15 16:23             ` Guillaume Tucker
       [not found]               ` <CAHRSSEyrJeru4YKoAFUo2Ai1dmxQAxRTJ1gnAuY1OmxohF=5Gw@mail.gmail.com>
From: Guillaume Tucker @ 2022-09-15 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelci, tkjos, Mark Brown; +Cc: Elliot Berman

Hi Todd,

On 14/09/2022 22:36, Todd Kjos via groups.io wrote:
> Is there an ETA for at least doing the builds?

I don't think anyone else is asking for user-mode builds, and
adding this new architecture with a new sub-architecture
parameter is not as trivial as adding a few lines of YAML config.
So unless someone on this list is interested, or someone wants to
run an internship topic around that, I think you'll have to go
and find someone to do the work.

KernelCI is starting to run KUnit which does involve UM-Linux
builds but that's all done "under the hood" by the KUnit
framework.  Still, I guess it would catch some build errors as a
side-effect.  So an alternative is to wait for that to be fully
in production (first half 2023) and we can consider enabling it
on some Android kernel trees.

Best wishes,
Guillaume

@ 2022-09-15 16:25               ` Todd Kjos
       [not found]               ` <CAHRSSEyrJeru4YKoAFUo2Ai1dmxQAxRTJ1gnAuY1OmxohF=5Gw@mail.gmail.com>
From: Todd Kjos @ 2022-09-15 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guillaume Tucker; +Cc: kernelci, Mark Brown, Elliot Berman

On Thu, Sep 15, 2022 at 9:23 AM Guillaume Tucker <
guillaume.tucker@collabora.com> wrote:

> Hi Todd,
>
> On 14/09/2022 22:36, Todd Kjos via groups.io wrote:
> > Is there an ETA for at least doing the builds?
>
> I don't think anyone else is asking for user-mode builds, and
> adding this new architecture with a new sub-architecture
> parameter is not as trivial as adding a few lines of YAML config.
> So unless someone on this list is interested, or someone wants to
> run an internship topic around that, I think you'll have to go
> and find someone to do the work.
>
> KernelCI is starting to run KUnit which does involve UM-Linux
> builds but that's all done "under the hood" by the KUnit
> framework.  Still, I guess it would catch some build errors as a
> side-effect.  So an alternative is to wait for that to be fully
> in production (first half 2023) and we can consider enabling it
> on some Android kernel trees.

Thanks, that would be fine. This is not super urgent.

@ 2022-10-13 15:55                 ` Todd Kjos
From: Todd Kjos @ 2022-10-13 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guillaume Tucker; +Cc: kernelci, Mark Brown, Elliot Berman

On Thu, Sep 15, 2022 at 9:25 AM Todd Kjos <tkjos@google.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 15, 2022 at 9:23 AM Guillaume Tucker <
> guillaume.tucker@collabora.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Todd,
>>
>> On 14/09/2022 22:36, Todd Kjos via groups.io wrote:
>> > Is there an ETA for at least doing the builds?
>>
>> I don't think anyone else is asking for user-mode builds, and
>> adding this new architecture with a new sub-architecture
>> parameter is not as trivial as adding a few lines of YAML config.
>> So unless someone on this list is interested, or someone wants to
>> run an internship topic around that, I think you'll have to go
>> and find someone to do the work.
>>
>> KernelCI is starting to run KUnit which does involve UM-Linux
>> builds but that's all done "under the hood" by the KUnit
>> framework.  Still, I guess it would catch some build errors as a
>> side-effect.  So an alternative is to wait for that to be fully
>> in production (first half 2023) and we can consider enabling it
>> on some Android kernel trees.
>>

> Thanks, that would be fine. This is not super urgent.

Monthly ping...any progress on this?

       [not found]                 ` <CAHRSSEztTzwRThMc1OfpP33r-V8=bNNP3fc_LD9_6eY9Ztj6sA@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2023-07-13  7:08                   ` Guillaume Tucker
From: Guillaume Tucker @ 2023-07-13  7:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Todd Kjos; +Cc: Mark Brown, Elliot Berman, kernelci

On 06/07/2023 19:00, Todd Kjos wrote:
> Any progress on this? (at least doing the um builds?)
>
> On Thu, Mar 16, 2023 at 3:46 PM Todd Kjos <tkjos@google.com <mailto:tkjos@google.com>> wrote:
>
>     On Thu, Sep 15, 2022 at 9:23 AM Guillaume Tucker
>     <guillaume.tucker@collabora.com <mailto:guillaume.tucker@collabora.com>> wrote:
>     >
>     > Hi Todd,
>     >
>     > On 14/09/2022 22:36, Todd Kjos via groups.io <http://groups.io> wrote:
>     > > Is there an ETA for at least doing the builds?
>     >
>     > I don't think anyone else is asking for user-mode builds, and
>     > adding this new architecture with a new sub-architecture
>     > parameter is not as trivial as adding a few lines of YAML config.
>     > So unless someone on this list is interested, or someone wants to
>     > run an internship topic around that, I think you'll have to go
>     > and find someone to do the work.
>     >
>     > KernelCI is starting to run KUnit which does involve UM-Linux
>     > builds but that's all done "under the hood" by the KUnit
>     > framework.  Still, I guess it would catch some build errors as a
>     > side-effect.  So an alternative is to wait for that to be fully
>     > in production (first half 2023) and we can consider enabling it
>     > on some Android kernel trees.
>
>     Is this in production now?

No, the timeline for making the new API & Pipeline as the new
production system is basically bumped to 2024.  However, KUnit
jobs are now being run every day on our staging instance and
we're planning to have an "early access" stable instance online
in the next couple of months.  I think we'll get back to you at
that point.

Thank you for your understanding.

Best wishes,
Guillaume

@ 2024-03-01 18:15                     ` Todd Kjos
       [not found]                       ` <16a0b25c-c550-351d-8f76-4a31c9f509ec@collabora.com>
From: Todd Kjos @ 2024-03-01 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guillaume Tucker; +Cc: Mark Brown, Elliot Berman, kernelci

On Thu, Jul 13, 2023 at 12:08 AM Guillaume Tucker
<guillaume.tucker@collabora.com> wrote:

> On 06/07/2023 19:00, Todd Kjos wrote:
> > Any progress on this? (at least doing the um builds?)
> >
> > On Thu, Mar 16, 2023 at 3:46 PM Todd Kjos <tkjos@google.com <mailto:tkjos@google.com>> wrote:
> >
> >     On Thu, Sep 15, 2022 at 9:23 AM Guillaume Tucker
> >     <guillaume.tucker@collabora.com <mailto:guillaume.tucker@collabora.com>> wrote:
> >     >
> >     > Hi Todd,
> >     >
> >     > On 14/09/2022 22:36, Todd Kjos via groups.io <http://groups.io> wrote:
> >     > > Is there an ETA for at least doing the builds?
> >     >
> >     > I don't think anyone else is asking for user-mode builds, and
> >     > adding this new architecture with a new sub-architecture
> >     > parameter is not as trivial as adding a few lines of YAML config.
> >     > So unless someone on this list is interested, or someone wants to
> >     > run an internship topic around that, I think you'll have to go
> >     > and find someone to do the work.
> >     >
> >     > KernelCI is starting to run KUnit which does involve UM-Linux
> >     > builds but that's all done "under the hood" by the KUnit
> >     > framework.  Still, I guess it would catch some build errors as a
> >     > side-effect.  So an alternative is to wait for that to be fully
> >     > in production (first half 2023) and we can consider enabling it
> >     > on some Android kernel trees.
> >
> >     Is this in production now?
>
> No, the timeline for making the new API & Pipeline as the new
> production system is basically bumped to 2024.  However, KUnit
> jobs are now being run every day on our staging instance and
> we're planning to have an "early access" stable instance online
> in the next couple of months.  I think we'll get back to you at
> that point.

Any update on the schedule for the new API/Pipeline or the "early access"?

@ 2024-03-01 18:30                         ` Todd Kjos
       [not found]                           ` <4c840d3a-65d4-8df3-9ef7-a9bb24dccabf@collabora.com>
From: Todd Kjos @ 2024-03-01 18:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gustavo Padovan; +Cc: Mark Brown, Elliot Berman, kernelci

On Fri, Mar 1, 2024 at 10:22 AM Gustavo Padovan
<gustavo.padovan@collabora.com> wrote:

> Hi Todd,
>
> On 3/1/24 15:15, Todd Kjos wrote:
>
> On Thu, Jul 13, 2023 at 12:08 AM Guillaume Tucker
> <guillaume.tucker@collabora.com> wrote:
>
> On 06/07/2023 19:00, Todd Kjos wrote:
>
> Any progress on this? (at least doing the um builds?)
>
> On Thu, Mar 16, 2023 at 3:46 PM Todd Kjos <tkjos@google.com <mailto:tkjos@google.com>> wrote:
>
>     On Thu, Sep 15, 2022 at 9:23 AM Guillaume Tucker
>     <guillaume.tucker@collabora.com <mailto:guillaume.tucker@collabora.com>> wrote:
>     >
>     > Hi Todd,
>     >
>     > On 14/09/2022 22:36, Todd Kjos via groups.io <http://groups.io> wrote:
>     > > Is there an ETA for at least doing the builds?
>     >
>     > I don't think anyone else is asking for user-mode builds, and
>     > adding this new architecture with a new sub-architecture
>     > parameter is not as trivial as adding a few lines of YAML config.
>     > So unless someone on this list is interested, or someone wants to
>     > run an internship topic around that, I think you'll have to go
>     > and find someone to do the work.
>     >
>     > KernelCI is starting to run KUnit which does involve UM-Linux
>     > builds but that's all done "under the hood" by the KUnit
>     > framework.  Still, I guess it would catch some build errors as a
>     > side-effect.  So an alternative is to wait for that to be fully
>     > in production (first half 2023) and we can consider enabling it
>     > on some Android kernel trees.
>
>     Is this in production now?
>
> No, the timeline for making the new API & Pipeline as the new
> production system is basically bumped to 2024.  However, KUnit
> jobs are now being run every day on our staging instance and
> we're planning to have an "early access" stable instance online
> in the next couple of months.  I think we'll get back to you at
> that point.
>
> Any update on the schedule for the new API/Pipeline or the "early access"?
>

> We are enabling the new system as we speak, but slowly with a handful of trees we are building and a handful of tests as a first step. We are also sorting out ways for to share the results, since the new system won't have a web dashboard for the time being.
>
> I am getting to this thread just now, but it seems that for your need, in a first step, would be adding user-mode builds. Is that correct? What would be in your scope after that?

Currently no expectations beyond UM builds. Right now the point is to
catch cases where we might inadvertently break UM since it isn't part
of our workflow, but might be part of the workflow for downstream
users of ACK kernels. We'll make a separate request if we need more
than builds.

@ 2024-03-01 18:37                             ` Todd Kjos
From: Todd Kjos @ 2024-03-01 18:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gustavo Padovan; +Cc: Mark Brown, Elliot Berman, kernelci

On Fri, Mar 1, 2024 at 10:34 AM Gustavo Padovan
> [...]
>
> I am getting to this thread just now, but it seems that for your need, in a first step, would be adding user-mode builds. Is that correct? What would be in your scope after that?
>
> Currently no expectations beyond UM builds. Right now the point is to
> catch cases where we might inadvertently break UM since it isn't part
> of our workflow, but might be part of the workflow for downstream
> users of ACK kernels. We'll make a separate request if we need more
> than builds.
>

> Okay. Let me see if we add yours soon in the new system. (it is really painful to add new things to the legacy system).
>
> Would you be a recipient of the build breakages? I also want to figure out the regression reporting structure.

Yes, several of us on the Android kernel team are closely monitoring
kernelci breakages. These can be reported to us in the same way as
other breakages (visible as build breaks at
https://linux.kernelci.org/job/android/)