kernelnewbies.kernelnewbies.org archive mirror
* make vmlinux .bss PROGBITS
@ 2020-10-06 13:17 William Tambe
From: William Tambe @ 2020-10-06 13:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kernel Newbies

How can I modify Makefile such that when vmlinux is created, following
command is run on vmlinux to make section .bss PROGBITS:
objcopy --set-section-flags .bss=alloc,load,contents

* Re: make vmlinux .bss PROGBITS
@ 2020-10-06 18:11 ` Valdis Klētnieks
From: Valdis Klētnieks @ 2020-10-06 18:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: William Tambe; +Cc: Kernel Newbies

On Tue, 06 Oct 2020 08:17:44 -0500, William Tambe said:
> How can I modify Makefile such that when vmlinux is created, following
> command is run on vmlinux to make section .bss PROGBITS:
> objcopy --set-section-flags .bss=alloc,load,contents

Remember - vmlinux isn't going to be loaded by the userspace loader,
but rather by a bootstrap loader.  So those flags probably don't actually
do what you think they do.

For that matter, what *do* you think they do, and what problem are you
trying to solve with them?

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 832 bytes --]

* Re: make vmlinux .bss PROGBITS
@ 2020-10-06 18:56   ` William Tambe
From: William Tambe @ 2020-10-06 18:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Valdis Klētnieks; +Cc: Kernel Newbies

On Tue, Oct 6, 2020 at 1:11 PM Valdis Klētnieks <valdis.kletnieks@vt.edu> wrote:

> On Tue, 06 Oct 2020 08:17:44 -0500, William Tambe said:
> > How can I modify Makefile such that when vmlinux is created, following
> > command is run on vmlinux to make section .bss PROGBITS:
> > objcopy --set-section-flags .bss=alloc,load,contents
>
> Remember - vmlinux isn't going to be loaded by the userspace loader,
> but rather by a bootstrap loader.  So those flags probably don't actually
> do what you think they do.

We have a loader that loads vmlinux.bin (created from vmlinux using
objcopy -O binary), however if section .bss is not PROGBITS,
vmlinux.bin does not include that space, which the loader will not
reserve; by allocating that space in vmlinux.bin the loader also
reserves that space.
To solve the problem we are looking to make section .bss PROBGITS
using objcopy --set-section-flags .bss=alloc,load,contents , but it is
not trivial how to modify the Linux Makefile to achieve that.

@ 2020-10-06 23:52     ` Valdis Klētnieks
From: Valdis Klētnieks @ 2020-10-06 23:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: William Tambe; +Cc: Kernel Newbies