kernelnewbies.kernelnewbies.org archive mirror
* Proxy filesystems
@ 2018-08-10  3:07 Demi Obenour
From: Demi Obenour @ 2018-08-10  3:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

How difficult would it be to create a proxy filesystem ? that is, a
filesystem that is a view of the filesystem?

For instance, opening `/dev/urlfs/home/test/A%20Bcd` would open
`/home/test/A Bcd`.  The purpose would be to handle poorly written tools
(like Autoconf and CMake) that do not handle wierd characters in filenames.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* Proxy filesystems
@ 2018-08-11 19:11 ` Richard Weinberger
From: Richard Weinberger @ 2018-08-11 19:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Fri, Aug 10, 2018 at 5:07 AM Demi Obenour <demiobenour@gmail.com> wrote:

> How difficult would it be to create a proxy filesystem ? that is, a filesystem that is a view of the filesystem?

Using FUSE this is easy.

//richard

* Proxy filesystems
@ 2018-08-12  2:31   ` Demi Obenour
From: Demi Obenour @ 2018-08-12  2:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

How difficult would it be in the kernel?

I am not particularly interested in getting this upstreamed, but I do want
to at least try to make a kernel module that does something useful.

@ 2018-08-12  5:01   ` Ruben Safir
From: Ruben Safir @ 2018-08-12  5:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On 08/11/2018 03:11 PM, Richard Weinberger wrote:
> Using FUSE this is easy.

FUSE is not part of the kernel and it is a PIA FWIW.  It goes crazy all
the time.

http://www.mrbrklyn.com

http://www.brooklyn-living.com

* Proxy filesystems
@ 2018-08-12  7:29     ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2018-08-12  7:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Sun, Aug 12, 2018 at 01:01:59AM -0400, Ruben Safir wrote:
> On 08/11/2018 03:11 PM, Richard Weinberger wrote:
> > Using FUSE this is easy.
>
> FUSE is not part of the kernel and it is a PIA FWIW.  It goes crazy all
> the time.

Not true, a portion is part of the kernel, and you need to be a whole
lot more specific...

greg k-h

* Proxy filesystems
@ 2018-08-12  7:29     ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2018-08-12  7:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Sat, Aug 11, 2018 at 10:31:17PM -0400, Demi Obenour wrote:
> How difficult would it be in the kernel?
>
> I am not particularly interested in getting this upstreamed, but I do want
> to at least try to make a kernel module that does something useful.

Try it and see!

* Proxy filesystems
@ 2018-08-12  7:30     ` Richard Weinberger
From: Richard Weinberger @ 2018-08-12  7:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Am Sonntag, 12. August 2018, 04:31:17 CEST schrieb Demi Obenour:
> How difficult would it be in the kernel?

Depends on you want to do.
I suggest digging into overlayfs.

Thanks,
//richard