kernelnewbies.kernelnewbies.org archive mirror
* Problem for testing linux-next
@ 2021-08-16 10:17 Sidong Yang
From: Sidong Yang @ 2021-08-16 10:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Hi, all.

I'm trying to test linux-next. I'm using QEMU for testing.
I cloned linux-next repository and checkout to last tag next-20210812.
I compiled with simple command below.

make menuconfig
make & make modules_install & make install

and rebooted system. and it failed.
It hangs after the message "freeing unused kernel image (init mem)
memory"
after about 500 seconds, it prints call trace including
"x2apic_send_IPI" and it blocked.
I want to copy and past it to here. but I don't know how to see the
dmesg in last failed session.

Is there any wrong configuration for compiling?
I would paste it if I could copy the error message.

Thanks,
Sidong

* Re: Problem for testing linux-next
@ 2021-08-16 11:23 ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2021-08-16 11:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sidong Yang; +Cc: kernelnewbies

On Mon, Aug 16, 2021 at 10:17:51AM +0000, Sidong Yang wrote:
> Hi, all.
>
> I'm trying to test linux-next. I'm using QEMU for testing.
> I cloned linux-next repository and checkout to last tag next-20210812.
> I compiled with simple command below.
>
> make menuconfig
> make & make modules_install & make install
>
> and rebooted system. and it failed.

Make sure you have a working configuration based on a released kernel
version _first_ (like 5.13), before trying to test linux-next.  Once you
have that, then take that configuration and use it on the linux-next
tree so you know it is not a configuration issue.

good luck!

greg k-h

* Re: Problem for testing linux-next
@ 2021-08-16 14:01   ` Sidong Yang
From: Sidong Yang @ 2021-08-16 14:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg KH; +Cc: kernelnewbies

On Mon, Aug 16, 2021 at 01:23:54PM +0200, Greg KH wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 16, 2021 at 10:17:51AM +0000, Sidong Yang wrote:
> > Hi, all.
> >
> > I'm trying to test linux-next. I'm using QEMU for testing.
> > I cloned linux-next repository and checkout to last tag next-20210812.
> > I compiled with simple command below.
> >
> > make menuconfig
> > make & make modules_install & make install
> >
> > and rebooted system. and it failed.
>
> Make sure you have a working configuration based on a released kernel
> version _first_ (like 5.13), before trying to test linux-next.  Once you
> have that, then take that configuration and use it on the linux-next
> tree so you know it is not a configuration issue.

Yeah, I think it was configuration error. I reset all the configuration
and compiled 5.13 and it works. Also, I compiled with same configuration
linux-next and It was OK.

Thanks for tip!

Thanks,
Sidong