* Kernel assisted keychain?
@ 2019-12-20 16:13 Jeffrey Walton
From: Jeffrey Walton @ 2019-12-20 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Hi Everyone,

Does the kernel have a Keychain API to save secrets locally? I'm
specifically looking for kernel assistance and a API to use across
different OSes.

Jeff

* Re: Kernel assisted keychain?
@ 2019-12-23 14:47 ` Yann Droneaud
From: Yann Droneaud @ 2019-12-23 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: noloader, kernelnewbies

Le vendredi 20 décembre 2019 à 11:13 -0500, Jeffrey Walton a écrit :
> Hi Everyone,
>
> Does the kernel have a Keychain API to save secrets locally? I'm
> specifically looking for kernel assistance and a API to use across
> different OSes.

AFAIK kernel doens't "save secrets locally" (in the sense those secrets
are available across reboot), you have to use higher level API such as
https://freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications/secret-storage-spec/ with
implementation such as https://wiki.gnome.org/Projects/Libsecret

But kernel can hold secrets with the keyring API
http://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man7/keyrings.7.html
https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/security/keys.txt

Regards.

--