* Compiled Kernel stuck in booting
@ 2020-07-29  8:51 Yashodhan Joshi
From: Yashodhan Joshi @ 2020-07-29  8:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Hello,

I use a dual boot laptop with windows and Ubuntu,with grub2.

I Followed the instruction in https://kernelnewbies.org/OutreachyfirstpatchSetup to clone the source code and compile the kernel, which was done without any errors.
When I tried to install the kernel using 'sudo make modules_install install' it showed a warning when updating initramfs, that it will attempt to resume from UUID, which is my SWAP space,
but other than that it showed no other errors.

When I tried to boot into it from the grub menu after restarting, it showed message of loading the kernel and then 'setting up intitial ramdisk', after which nothing further happend.
The default kernel that came with ubuntu is still working and boots up into desktop environment withing 2-3 minutes after the 'ramdisk' message,
but even though I kept the system running for 20 minutes after the 'ramdisk' message for the compiled kernel, niether any further proccess seems to be happening nor any error messages are shown.
Can someone help me figuring out what is wrong and how can I run the kernel?

Thank You.

Also can someone point me in right direction to send suggestions about updating the information on kernelnewbies website?
The information about connecting mutt to Gmail is quite outdated, and I would like to help updating it.

* Re: Compiled Kernel stuck in booting
@ 2020-07-29 21:02 ` Bryan Brattlof
From: Bryan Brattlof @ 2020-07-29 21:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yashodhan Joshi; +Cc: kernelnewbies

On 2020-07-29T04:51:48-0400 Yashodhan Joshi <yjdoc2@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,

Hi Yashodhan:

Sorry to send this to you again, somehow I dropped the mailing list from
the email

> I use a dual boot laptop with windows and Ubuntu,with grub2.
>
> I Followed the instruction in https://kernelnewbies.org/OutreachyfirstpatchSetup to clone the source code and compile the kernel, which was done without any errors.
> When I tried to install the kernel using 'sudo make modules_install install' it showed a warning when updating initramfs, that it will attempt to resume from UUID, which is my SWAP space,
> but other than that it showed no other errors.
>
> When I tried to boot into it from the grub menu after restarting, it showed message of loading the kernel and then 'setting up intitial ramdisk', after which nothing further happend.
> The default kernel that came with ubuntu is still working and boots up into desktop environment withing 2-3 minutes after the 'ramdisk' message,
> but even though I kept the system running for 20 minutes after the 'ramdisk' message for the compiled kernel, niether any further proccess seems to be happening nor any error messages are shown.
> Can someone help me figuring out what is wrong and how can I run the kernel?
>
> Thank You.

I'm fairly new to this myself, however with my Debian/Ubuntu based
system, I have had success using:

  $ make -j `getconf _NPROCESSORS_ONLN` deb-pkg

to compile the kernel into a few debian package that we can then install
using something like:

  $ sudo dpkg -i *.deb

> Also can someone point me in right direction to send suggestions about updating the information on kernelnewbies website?
> The information about connecting mutt to Gmail is quite outdated, and I would like to help updating it.

Sorry I can't help you here

Hope this helps
--
~Bryan