kernelnewbies.kernelnewbies.org archive mirror
* surround complex macros in ()
@ 2021-08-26  5:21 daniel watson
From: daniel watson @ 2021-08-26  5:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

let me know if this is the right place to ask.

i recently tried to make a commit adding parentheses around a macro
value.

https://lore.kernel.org/linux-staging/20210817043038.GA9492@challenge-bot.com/

it was rejected as "This is not a real change that is needed."

at first, i thought this meant that the code would be identical with and
without parentheses surrounding a complex macro's definition, when the
macro is just typecasting an expression.  but then i came up with code
where having parens or not changes the meaning of the code.

-------delete-me.c--------
#define with ((int)a)
#define sans (int)a

void main(void){
  int b = 0;
  with++;
  sans++;
}
-------delete-me.c--------

-------terminal--------
$ gcc -o delete-me delete-me.c
delete-me.c: In function ‘main’:
delete-me.c:7:7: error: lvalue required as increment operand
    7 |   with++;
      |       ^~
-------terminal--------

the compiler complains about the macro defined with parentheses, and
does not have a problem with the other macro defined sans parentheses.
this is only a compile time difference, and maybe that's the only
possible difference that could be made by the parentheses.

i'm curious if there's a way to know for sure that there exists no
possible expression with such a macro in it that would cause a more
subtle difference.  for example, how do i rule out the possibility
that the code could compile and have a different value than expected
at runtime?

as a side note, i signed up for the kernelnewbies mailing list, and i do
not see any messages in my inbox, except a reply to a message i sent
out.  i checked here
in some expression
http://lists.kernelnewbies.org/pipermail/kernelnewbies/

and do not see the message i sent, or the reply to it.

am i seeing the right thing?  did i sign up correctly?  is that the
right page to view the mailing list messages online?

thanks!

* Re: surround complex macros in ()
@ 2021-08-26  7:28 ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2021-08-26  7:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: daniel watson; +Cc: kernelnewbies

On Wed, Aug 25, 2021 at 10:21:44PM -0700, daniel watson wrote:
> let me know if this is the right place to ask.
>
> i recently tried to make a commit adding parentheses around a macro
> value.
>
> https://lore.kernel.org/linux-staging/20210817043038.GA9492@challenge-bot.com/
>
> it was rejected as "This is not a real change that is needed."
>
> at first, i thought this meant that the code would be identical with and
> without parentheses surrounding a complex macro's definition, when the
> macro is just typecasting an expression.  but then i came up with code
> where having parens or not changes the meaning of the code.
>
> -------delete-me.c--------
> #define with ((int)a)
> #define sans (int)a

Note, this is NOT what your change was doing.

To duplicate what your change wanted to do, try doing:

#define with ((int)(10 * 20))
#define sans (int)(10 * 20)

Now see if that is any different when you use it.

thanks,

greg k-h

* Re: surround complex macros in ()
@ 2021-08-26  9:04 ` Valdis Klētnieks