kernelnewbies.kernelnewbies.org archive mirror
* Kernel development virtualization options
@ 2018-11-16 10:41 Laurence Rochfort
From: Laurence Rochfort @ 2018-11-16 10:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Hi all,

Thus far, I've been testing my kernel patches in a KVM vm with a full
distro installation, but it's pretty slow and cumbersome.

Valerie Aurora has a blog post on using User-mode Linux, and others
mention QEMU with an overlay filesystem and BusyBox.

What do people recommend for quick iterative development, with good
GDB integration?

Cheers,
Laurence.

From: Laurence Rochfort @ 2018-11-16 10:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

@ 2018-11-16 17:02 ` Mulyadi Santosa
From: Mulyadi Santosa @ 2018-11-16 17:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Fri, Nov 16, 2018 at 5:39 PM Laurence Rochfort <
laurence.rochfort@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Thus far, I've been testing my kernel patches in a KVM vm with a full
> distro installation, but it's pretty slow and cumbersome.
>
> Hi

Hmmm, weird, assuming your CPU had VT-x/AMD-V enabled, KVM should utilize
it and ran pretty fast. Could you check whether KVM use VT-x/AMD-V first?

> Valerie Aurora has a blog post on using User-mode Linux, and others
> mention QEMU with an overlay filesystem and BusyBox.
>
> What do people recommend for quick iterative development, with good
> GDB integration?
>
> Cheers,
> Laurence.

regards,

Mulyadi Santosa
Freelance Linux trainer and consultant

blog: the-hydra.blogspot.com
training: mulyaditraining.blogspot.com
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* Re: Kernel development virtualization options
@ 2018-11-16 17:02   ` Mulyadi Santosa
From: Mulyadi Santosa @ 2018-11-16 17:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies