kernelnewbies.kernelnewbies.org archive mirror
* Seeking Guidance for New SPI Driver in Mainline Linux Kernel
@ 2023-08-18 13:04 Muni Sekhar
From: Muni Sekhar @ 2023-08-18 13:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies, linux-spi; +Cc: LKML

Dear Linux Kernel Community,

I hope this email finds you well.
I am writing to seek your guidance and assistance regarding the development
of a new SPI device driver for our hardware system.
Our hardware, implemented on an FPGA, features an SPI interface that acts
as a Master, offering two distinct modes for data transmission and
reception.
This hardware is connected to the Linux system via the PCIe bus.
This hardware offers two modes for communication: using registers for
debugging purposes and utilizing DMA channels for high-bandwidth
applications. Both modes leverage the PCIe interface for data exchange.
The hardware boasts several noteworthy features, including support for
multiple speed settings, SPI port switching, configurable sample edge
programming, and adjustable SPI transfer sizes.

As we embark on the task of developing a device driver for this SPI
interface, we intend to follow best practices and leverage existing
resources within the Mainline Linux kernel tree. To achieve this, we plan
to refer to and adapt existing SPI drivers.
We kindly request your recommendations on which existing SPI driver within
the Mainline Linux kernel tree would serve as the most suitable reference
for our endeavor. Your invaluable expertise would greatly aid us in
ensuring the success of this driver development process.
Thank you for your time and consideration. We eagerly anticipate your
guidance and insights.

Warm regards,
Sekhar

* Re: Seeking Guidance for New SPI Driver in Mainline Linux Kernel
@ 2023-08-18 14:57   ` Muni Sekhar
From: Muni Sekhar @ 2023-08-18 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies, linux-spi; +Cc: LKML

In the previous email, I mentioned that the FPGA hardware(SPI block)
was connected to the Linux system using the PCIe interface. Here, when
I refer to the Linux system, I mean an x86-based Linux system, not an
ARM-based embedded system.

@ 2023-08-18 13:58 ` Raul Piper
From: Raul Piper @ 2023-08-18 13:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Muni Sekhar; +Cc: linux-spi, LKML, kernelnewbies