kernelnewbies.kernelnewbies.org archive mirror
* Hello, does anyone know any university that has lines of research on the linux kernel
@ 2019-09-28 18:45 Manuel Quintero Fonseca
From: Manuel Quintero Fonseca @ 2019-09-28 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Hello, does anyone know any university that has lines of research on
the linux kernel
Thank you

* Re: Hello, does anyone know any university that has lines of research on the linux kernel
@ 2019-09-28 20:16 ` Valdis Klētnieks
From: Valdis Klētnieks @ 2019-09-28 20:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Manuel Quintero Fonseca; +Cc: kernelnewbies

On Sat, 28 Sep 2019 12:45:11 -0600, Manuel Quintero Fonseca said:
> Hello, does anyone know any university that has lines of research on
> the linux kernel

Well.. most of the actual code development is being done out in industry
and by individuals.  The stuff that happens in universities is usually more
theoretical (new concepts in memory management, etc), and merely *uses*
Linux as a platform because it's available.  Pretty much nobody is doing
any research *on* the Linux kernel as itself (unless it's as a case study in
managing large scale software development, or as a data point for code
quality metrics and other such things).

And there's a difference between "University ABC has a professor who's got this
one project that happens to use Linux in it" and "University DEF has 4
professors and 20 grad students who have set up an official Center For
Something Research".  So if you're looking for grad schools, you want to be
looking at things with longevity, like the MIT Media Lab, or Purdue's computer
security expertise, or a lot of the stuff being done at CMU or Stanford or
Berkeley.  It sucks to transfer to a grad school for 3 years, only to have the
project you transferred for go away a year later....

(And many of those projects never see the light of day, because they often end
up being some variant of "If we measured metric X better, we could do a better
job of predicting what to do with Y" - but it often turns out that measuring X
better costs more than the added efficiency of Y gains you....)

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 832 bytes --]

* Re: Hello, does anyone know any university that has lines of research on the linux kernel
@ 2019-09-28 20:40   ` Maria Neptune
From: Maria Neptune @ 2019-09-28 20:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Additionally, if you're really interested in free software at university,
UCLA's Paul Eggert is pretty prolific. So here may be worth considering.
- Maria

@ 2019-09-29  8:36   ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2019-09-29  8:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Valdis Klētnieks; +Cc: kernelnewbies, Manuel Quintero Fonseca

On Sat, Sep 28, 2019 at 04:16:46PM -0400, Valdis Klētnieks wrote:
> On Sat, 28 Sep 2019 12:45:11 -0600, Manuel Quintero Fonseca said:
> > Hello, does anyone know any university that has lines of research on
> > the linux kernel
>
> Well.. most of the actual code development is being done out in industry
> and by individuals.  The stuff that happens in universities is usually more
> theoretical (new concepts in memory management, etc), and merely *uses*
> Linux as a platform because it's available.  Pretty much nobody is doing
> any research *on* the Linux kernel as itself (unless it's as a case study in
> managing large scale software development, or as a data point for code
> quality metrics and other such things).

That's not true, there are lots of universities doing research *on* the
Linux kernel, as well as doing research *for* the Linux kernel in order
to make it better and to prove/disprove new research theories.

One example would be the first talk listed here that happened last week:
	https://kernel-recipes.org/en/2019/live-blog-day-3-2/
It describes how research is being used to both prove that the kernel's
model of operation is correct (he found bugs in it when doing so) as
well as to advance the development of formal methods.

There are loads of other research projects doing stuff like this all
over the world, look at the output of computer science papers for lots
of examples of this.

> And there's a difference between "University ABC has a professor who's got this
> one project that happens to use Linux in it" and "University DEF has 4
> professors and 20 grad students who have set up an official Center For
> Something Research".  So if you're looking for grad schools, you want to be
> looking at things with longevity, like the MIT Media Lab, or Purdue's computer
> security expertise, or a lot of the stuff being done at CMU or Stanford or
> Berkeley.  It sucks to transfer to a grad school for 3 years, only to have the
> project you transferred for go away a year later....

There are lots of these types of "centers of research" at universities
outside of the US as well.  Again, look at papers for examples of common
groups of professors sponsoring projects for where this is happening.  I
don't want to slight any by only listing a few :)

thanks,

greg k-h

* Re: Hello, does anyone know any university that has lines of research on the linux kernel
@ 2019-10-03 22:09     ` Manuel Quintero Fonseca
From: Manuel Quintero Fonseca @ 2019-10-03 22:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Thank you all for answering, my question is, if I want to do a phD
that has to do with the Linux kernel, it will be more difficult to be
accepted at a university, where they do not have lines of research on
Linux, those where they openly have research on The Linux kernel

If you have some interesting research topics and that are possible to
do for a phD that are very kind to suggest, as well as some
universities, preferably that are outside the USA.

@ 2019-10-03 22:43       ` Valdis Klētnieks
From: Valdis Klētnieks @ 2019-10-03 22:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Manuel Quintero Fonseca; +Cc: kernelnewbies