kernelnewbies.kernelnewbies.org archive mirror
* Linux Kernel Tester's Guide is still valid?
@ 2018-10-19  1:05 Manuel Quintero Fonseca
From: Manuel Quintero Fonseca @ 2018-10-19  1:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Hi, Linux Kernel Tester's Guide is still valid?

http://www.unixy.pl/maciek/doc/lktg/handbook-en.pdf

* Linux Kernel Tester's Guide is still valid?
@ 2018-10-19  7:39 ` valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu
From: valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu @ 2018-10-19  7:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Thu, 18 Oct 2018 19:05:35 -0600, Manuel Quintero Fonseca said:
> Hi, Linux Kernel Tester's Guide is still valid?
>
> http://www.unixy.pl/maciek/doc/lktg/handbook-en.pdf

Depends.  Are you insisting on "type this command" validity, or general concepts?

Much of section 1 (from 1.2 to 1.5) has been rendered totally obsolete by the linux-next
development tree.

Most of the basic concepts remain the same - a binary search using git hasn't changed
much, and their explanation of things that can go wrong still applies to most uses
of 'git bisect'.   However, they refer to 'git-this', 'git-that', 'git-whatever', while most
more recent documentation uses 'git this', 'git that' etc.

And of course, the details of what testing *you* should be doing will depend on
*why* you're doing testing in the first place - see the recent discussion about
performance testing for examples.
@ 2018-10-19 20:27   ` Manuel Quintero Fonseca
From: Manuel Quintero Fonseca @ 2018-10-19 20:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Hello thank you for responding, I am new, and I want to learn, and
looking at the https://kernelnewbies.org page, one of the things we
could do to start is to report bug, which according to a link leads to
that previously shared manual. said guide was not in the league
https://lwn.net/Articles/238838/, but I searched for it by google and
that was the one I found.

as new I thought the best way would be to look for the errors of my
kernel and report them, then look for the solutions.

Now if someone has a better guide to do the search for kernel errors
and report them, I would be very grateful
El vie., 19 oct. 2018 a las 1:39, <valdis.kletnieks@vt.edu> escribi?:

@ 2018-10-20  1:31 ` Ozgur
From: Ozgur @ 2018-10-20  1:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

19.10.2018, 05:07, "Manuel Quintero Fonseca" <manuel@uas.edu.mx>:
> Hi, Linux Kernel Tester's Guide is still valid?

Hello,

no this is not valid. please follow the kernel version.
this document was used v2.6 kernel and 2.6 is an old version.

The methods in the document may be similar because syslog and git parts have not changed.

Regards

Ozgur

@ 2018-10-22  2:18   ` Manuel Quintero Fonseca
From: Manuel Quintero Fonseca @ 2018-10-22  2:18 UTC (permalink / raw)