kernelnewbies.kernelnewbies.org archive mirror
* Wikibook Linux kernel
@ 2021-05-06 10:58 Constantine Shulyupin
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Constantine Shulyupin @ 2021-05-06 10:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-doc, kernelnewbies, aaptel, aisheng.dong, alexandru.elisei,
	alex.williamson, andreyknvl, anshuman.khandual, aquini,
	Arnd Bergmann, ast, axboe, bernard, bobwxc, bp, brijesh.singh,
	broonie, catalin.marinas, chris.packham, Jonathan Corbet,
	cw00.choi, daniel, davem, davidgow, dhowells, dikshita, dlatypov,
	eesposit, eric.auger, erik, erik.rosen, federico.vaga, festevam,
	georgi.djakov, gi-oh.kim, gi-oh.kim, gregkh, Gustavo.Pimentel,
	haren, hca, hch, hdegoede, heikki.krogerus, hengqi.chen,
	hverkuil-cisco, i, jaegeuk, James.Bottomley, jamorris, jarkko,
	jgg, jianyong.wu, jonas, Jonathan.Cameron, kabel, keescook, kuba,
	kubernat, linus.walleij, linux, linux, Guenter Roeck,
	luzmaximilian, macro, marcan, masahiroy, mathieu.poirier, maz,
	mchehab+huawei, mic, mkl, mpe, mszeredi, natet, nicolas.dichtel,
	niklas.soderlund+renesas, npiggin, ogabbay, parav, pbonzini, pcc,
	peterz, pmladek, rafael.j.wysocki, rppt, saeedm, sakari.ailus,
	sbhat, schnelle, sean.j.christopherson, sebastian.reichel,
	shy828301, siyanteng, skhan, sozeri, srutherford,
	stanimir.varbanov, stephane.blondon, stern, stfrench, sumit.garg,
	tamar.mashiah, tglx, tom.zanussi, torvalds, unixbhaskar, vbabka,
	vincenzo.frascino, vkoul, vladyslavt, wilken.gottwalt, willy,
	yangbo.lu, yangtiezhu, yuchao0, yuzenghui

Dear Linux kernel documentation writers and readers:

Writing Linux documentation is a huge complex collaborative process.
To make it better I invite you to contribute to
https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/The_Linux_Kernel .

Main benefits of the book:
- Readers friendly architecture
- Matrix table of contents
- Convenient common wikimedia format
- Hosted on wikibooks.org
- Updateable by everyone.

I've designed the front page matrix table of contents and composed
draft articles with outline, links to kernel documentation, sources
and other resources. Sometimes visitors of the book contribute to it.
My vision is to have a complete updated wikibook about Linux kernel
written by many experienced developers. Please vist page
https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/The_Linux_Kernel/About  for the book
desripton.

Welcome to contribute to https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/The_Linux_Kernel!

Sincerely yours
Constantine Shulyupin

--
Constantine Shulyupin

* Re: Wikibook Linux kernel
@ 2021-05-06 11:28 ` Borislav Petkov
From: Borislav Petkov @ 2021-05-06 11:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Constantine Shulyupin
  Cc: erik, catalin.marinas, linus.walleij, hch, siyanteng, mpe,
	aaptel, cw00.choi, stern, shy828301, Guenter Roeck, kubernat,
	pmladek, npiggin, mic, eric.auger, alex.williamson, jonas, skhan,
	tglx, sozeri, gregkh, jianyong.wu, gi-oh.kim, hverkuil-cisco,
	gi-oh.kim, torvalds, georgi.djakov, macro, hengqi.chen, aquini,
	linux-doc, yuchao0, stephane.blondon, James.Bottomley, kabel,
	unixbhaskar, kernelnewbies, bernard, rafael.j.wysocki, jamorris,
	jgg, mszeredi, wilken.gottwalt, chris.packham, jaegeuk,
	aisheng.dong, niklas.soderlund+renesas, tom.zanussi,
	mathieu.poirier, Gustavo.Pimentel, marcan, sean.j.christopherson,
	jarkko, yangbo.lu, parav, stfrench, heikki.krogerus,
	brijesh.singh, dlatypov, linux, ast, sebastian.reichel, festevam,
	natet, daniel, Jonathan Corbet, masahiroy, haren, willy,
	federico.vaga, yuzenghui, keescook, Arnd Bergmann, schnelle,
	andreyknvl, broonie, stanimir.varbanov, i, nicolas.dichtel, pcc,
	sumit.garg, sakari.ailus, davem, sbhat, peterz, linux, dhowells,
	tamar.mashiah, yangtiezhu, vincenzo.frascino, dikshita,
	mchehab+huawei, maz, rppt, vladyslavt, kuba, eesposit,
	anshuman.khandual, hca, bobwxc, hdegoede, mkl, davidgow,
	Jonathan.Cameron, alexandru.elisei, vbabka, axboe, srutherford,
	luzmaximilian, ogabbay, vkoul, erik.rosen, pbonzini, saeedm

On Thu, May 06, 2021 at 01:58:35PM +0300, Constantine Shulyupin wrote:
> Dear Linux kernel documentation writers and readers:
>
> Writing Linux documentation is a huge complex collaborative process.
> To make it better I invite you to contribute to
> https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/The_Linux_Kernel .

You have seen this, right?

https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/

which is generated from the kernel repo.

I'm sure Jon has even a grand idea about how to organize our
documentation in an even better way.

So it looks like we already have most of the topics and you could
probably even generate the wikibook from the kernel documentation. :)

Thx.

--
Regards/Gruss,
    Boris.

https://people.kernel.org/tglx/notes-about-netiquette

* Re: Wikibook Linux kernel
@ 2021-05-06 11:57 ` Mike Rapoport
From: Mike Rapoport @ 2021-05-06 11:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Constantine Shulyupin
  Cc: erik, catalin.marinas, linus.walleij, hch, siyanteng, mpe,
	aaptel, cw00.choi, stern, shy828301, Guenter Roeck, kubernat,
	pmladek, npiggin, mic, eric.auger, alex.williamson, jonas, skhan,
	tglx, sozeri, gregkh, jianyong.wu, gi-oh.kim, hverkuil-cisco,
	gi-oh.kim, torvalds, georgi.djakov, macro, hengqi.chen, aquini,
	linux-doc, yuchao0, stephane.blondon, James.Bottomley, kabel,
	unixbhaskar, kernelnewbies, bernard, rafael.j.wysocki, jamorris,
	jgg, mszeredi, wilken.gottwalt, chris.packham, jaegeuk,
	aisheng.dong, niklas.soderlund+renesas, tom.zanussi,
	mathieu.poirier, Gustavo.Pimentel, marcan, sean.j.christopherson,
	jarkko, yangbo.lu, mkl, stfrench, heikki.krogerus, brijesh.singh,
	dlatypov, linux, ast, sebastian.reichel, festevam, natet, daniel,
	Jonathan Corbet, masahiroy, haren, willy, federico.vaga,
	yuzenghui, keescook, Arnd Bergmann, schnelle, andreyknvl,
	broonie, bp, i, nicolas.dichtel, pcc, sumit.garg, sakari.ailus,
	davem, sbhat, peterz, linux, dhowells, tamar.mashiah, yangtiezhu,
	vincenzo.frascino, dikshita, mchehab+huawei, maz, vladyslavt,
	kuba, eesposit, stanimir.varbanov, anshuman.khandual, hca,
	bobwxc, hdegoede, parav, davidgow, Jonathan.Cameron,
	alexandru.elisei, vbabka, axboe, srutherford, luzmaximilian,
	ogabbay, vkoul, erik.rosen, pbonzini, saeedm

On Thu, May 06, 2021 at 01:58:35PM +0300, Constantine Shulyupin wrote:
> Dear Linux kernel documentation writers and readers:
>
> Writing Linux documentation is a huge complex collaborative process.
> To make it better I invite you to contribute to
> https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/The_Linux_Kernel .
>
> Main benefits of the book:
> - Readers friendly architecture
> - Convenient common wikimedia format

I know people that would disagree with these points ;-)

> - Hosted on wikibooks.org
> - Updateable by everyone.

And this point also has dubious value. All in-tree documentation is
carefully reviewed. It might be outdated, yes, but at least at the time it
is written we know it is correct.

This is not necessarily a case with an open wiki.

> I've designed the front page matrix table of contents and composed
> draft articles with outline, links to kernel documentation, sources
> and other resources. Sometimes visitors of the book contribute to it.
> My vision is to have a complete updated wikibook about Linux kernel
> written by many experienced developers. Please vist page
> https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/The_Linux_Kernel/About  for the book
> desripton.
>
> Welcome to contribute to https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/The_Linux_Kernel!

If you have ideas about how to organize and improve our documentation you
are welcome to contribute to Documentation/ in the kernel tree ;-)

--
Sincerely yours,
Mike.

* Re: Wikibook Linux kernel
@ 2021-05-06 12:00   ` Mauro Carvalho Chehab
From: Mauro Carvalho Chehab @ 2021-05-06 12:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Borislav Petkov
  Cc: erik, catalin.marinas, linus.walleij, hch, siyanteng, mpe,
	aaptel, cw00.choi, stern, shy828301, Guenter Roeck, kubernat,
	pmladek, npiggin, mic, eric.auger, alex.williamson, jonas, skhan,
	tglx, sozeri, gregkh, jianyong.wu, gi-oh.kim,
	Constantine Shulyupin, hverkuil-cisco, gi-oh.kim, torvalds,
	georgi.djakov, macro, hengqi.chen, aquini, linux-doc, yuchao0,
	stephane.blondon, James.Bottomley, kabel, unixbhaskar,
	kernelnewbies, bernard, rafael.j.wysocki, jamorris, jgg,
	mszeredi, wilken.gottwalt, chris.packham, jaegeuk, aisheng.dong,
	niklas.soderlund+renesas, tom.zanussi, mathieu.poirier,
	Gustavo.Pimentel, marcan, sean.j.christopherson, jarkko,
	yangbo.lu, mkl, stfrench, heikki.krogerus, brijesh.singh,
	dlatypov, linux, ast, sebastian.reichel, festevam, natet, daniel,
	Jonathan Corbet, masahiroy, haren, willy, federico.vaga,
	yuzenghui, keescook, Arnd Bergmann, schnelle, andreyknvl,
	broonie, stanimir.varbanov, i, nicolas.dichtel, pcc, sumit.garg,
	sakari.ailus, davem, sbhat, peterz, linux, dhowells,
	tamar.mashiah, yangtiezhu, vincenzo.frascino, dikshita, maz,
	rppt, vladyslavt, kuba, eesposit, anshuman.khandual, hca, bobwxc,
	hdegoede, parav, davidgow, Jonathan.Cameron, alexandru.elisei,
	vbabka, axboe, srutherford, luzmaximilian, ogabbay, vkoul,
	erik.rosen, pbonzini, saeedm

Em Thu, 6 May 2021 13:28:50 +0200
Borislav Petkov <bp@alien8.de> escreveu:

> On Thu, May 06, 2021 at 01:58:35PM +0300, Constantine Shulyupin wrote:
> > Dear Linux kernel documentation writers and readers:
> >
> > Writing Linux documentation is a huge complex collaborative process.
> > To make it better I invite you to contribute to
> > https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/The_Linux_Kernel .

And btw, the licenses there are not compatible:

	Text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.

Pointing to:
	CC BY-SA 3.0

IANAL, but, AFAIKT, is not compatible with GPL version 2[1].

[1] at least, there's a comment here:
    https://github.com/todbot/SoftI2CMaster/issues/14
    I didn't read it in full, but it seems to be endorsed by CC
    people:
	https://creativecommons.org/2015/10/08/cc-by-sa-4-0-now-one-way-compatible-with-gplv3/
    Btw, even if this were using CC BY-SA 4.0, it would still be
    incompatible with GPL v2, as the one-way compatibility is just
    with v3.

So, porting texts/documents from/to wikibooks can be an issue from
legal standpoint.

If you want to contribute with Kernel docs, the best way would be
to send additions/improvements against the Kernel tree to the
linux-doc mailing list.

> You have seen this, right?
>
> https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/
>
> which is generated from the kernel repo.
>
> I'm sure Jon has even a grand idea about how to organize our
> documentation in an even better way.
>
> So it looks like we already have most of the topics and you could
> probably even generate the wikibook from the kernel documentation. :)
>
> Thx.

Thanks,
Mauro

* Re: Wikibook Linux kernel
@ 2021-05-06 14:17 ` Theodore Ts'o
From: Theodore Ts'o @ 2021-05-06 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Constantine Shulyupin
  Cc: erik, catalin.marinas, linus.walleij, hch, siyanteng, mpe,
	aaptel, cw00.choi, stern, shy828301, Guenter Roeck, kubernat,
	pmladek, npiggin, mic, eric.auger, alex.williamson, jonas, skhan,
	tglx, sozeri, gregkh, jianyong.wu, gi-oh.kim, hverkuil-cisco,
	gi-oh.kim, torvalds, georgi.djakov, macro, hengqi.chen, aquini,
	linux-doc, yuchao0, stephane.blondon, James.Bottomley, kabel,
	unixbhaskar, kernelnewbies, bernard, rafael.j.wysocki, jamorris,
	jgg, mszeredi, wilken.gottwalt, chris.packham, jaegeuk,
	aisheng.dong, niklas.soderlund+renesas, tom.zanussi,
	mathieu.poirier, Gustavo.Pimentel, marcan, sean.j.christopherson,
	jarkko, yangbo.lu, mkl, stfrench, heikki.krogerus, brijesh.singh,
	dlatypov, linux, ast, sebastian.reichel, festevam, natet, daniel,
	Jonathan Corbet, masahiroy, haren, willy, federico.vaga,
	yuzenghui, keescook, Arnd Bergmann, schnelle, andreyknvl,
	broonie, bp, i, nicolas.dichtel, pcc, sumit.garg, sakari.ailus,
	davem, sbhat, peterz, linux, dhowells, tamar.mashiah, yangtiezhu,
	vincenzo.frascino, dikshita, mchehab+huawei, maz, rppt,
	vladyslavt, kuba, eesposit, stanimir.varbanov, anshuman.khandual,
	hca, bobwxc, hdegoede, parav, davidgow, Jonathan.Cameron,
	alexandru.elisei, vbabka, axboe, srutherford, luzmaximilian,
	ogabbay, vkoul, erik.rosen, pbonzini, saeedm

On Thu, May 06, 2021 at 01:58:35PM +0300, Constantine Shulyupin wrote:
> Dear Linux kernel documentation writers and readers:
>
> Writing Linux documentation is a huge complex collaborative process.
> To make it better I invite you to contribute to
> https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/The_Linux_Kernel

There are some wiki's that are available at *.wiki.kernel.org.  For
example, ext4.wiki.kernel.org.  We've largely abandoned it, in favor
of using Documentation in the kernel sources, because if you leave it
"updated by anyone", unless you have people constantly watching for
spam or trash updates which have to be reverted, it quickly becomes a
mess.  Or you can keep tight control over who you give accounts to,
but then it doesn't get updated all that often.

Keeping the documentation in sync with the kernel sources means it's
much more likely for the documentation to be updated when the kernel
is updated, and so for example we've migrated:

https://ext4.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Ext4_Disk_Layout

to:

https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/filesystems/ext4/index.html

with the sources available at:

https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/tytso/ext4.git/tree/Documentation/filesystems/ext4

... and been much happier with the result.

Cheers,

					- Ted

* Re: Wikibook Linux kernel
@ 2021-06-25 19:27   ` Constantine Shulyupin
From: Constantine Shulyupin @ 2021-06-25 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Theodore Ts'o
  Cc: Erik Flodin, catalin.marinas, Linus Walleij, hch, siyanteng, mpe,
	aaptel, cw00.choi, stern, shy828301, Guenter Roeck, kubernat,
	pmladek, npiggin, mic, eric.auger, alex.williamson, jonas, skhan,
	tglx, sozeri, gregkh, jianyong.wu, gi-oh.kim, hverkuil-cisco,
	gi-oh.kim, torvalds, georgi.djakov, macro, hengqi.chen, aquini,
	linux-doc, yuchao0, stephane.blondon, James.Bottomley, kabel,
	unixbhaskar, kernelnewbies, bernard, rafael.j.wysocki, jamorris,
	jgg, mszeredi, wilken.gottwalt, chris.packham, jaegeuk,
	aisheng.dong, niklas.soderlund+renesas, tom.zanussi,
	Mathieu Poirier, Gustavo.Pimentel, marcan, sean.j.christopherson,
	jarkko, yangbo.lu, mkl, stfrench, heikki.krogerus, brijesh.singh,
	Daniel Latypov, Rasmus Villemoes, ast, sebastian.reichel,
	festevam, natet, daniel, Jonathan Corbet, masahiroy, haren,
	willy, federico.vaga, yuzenghui, Kees Cook, Arnd Bergmann,
	schnelle, andreyknvl, broonie, bp, i, Nicolas Dichtel,
	Peter Collingbourne, sumit.garg, sakari.ailus, davem, sbhat,
	peterz, linux, dhowells, tamar.mashiah, yangtiezhu,
	vincenzo.frascino, dikshita, mchehab+huawei, maz, rppt,
	vladyslavt, kuba, eesposit, Stanimir Varbanov, anshuman.khandual,
	hca, bobwxc, hdegoede, parav, David Gow, Jonathan.Cameron,
	alexandru.elisei, vbabka, axboe, Steve Rutherford, luzmaximilian,
	ogabbay, vkoul, erik.rosen, pbonzini, saeedm

Thank you, Ted, for pointing to https://wiki.kernel.org/.
Out of 29 wikis 8 are outdated. Here is a summary:
https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/The_Linux_Kernel/wikis

Regards

--
Constantine Shulyupin