kernelnewbies.kernelnewbies.org archive mirror
* Neomutt/mutt copy message-id with b4
@ 2023-07-31  7:44 Maciej Wieczór-Retman
From: Maciej Wieczór-Retman @ 2023-07-31  7:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Hi!
I was thinking on how to make using Neomutt
easier with b4 to apply patches for testing.

In thunderbird there is an extension
that creates a button, that copies the message id.
This way I was able to paste that message-id into
b4, and apply a whole patch series to my kernel
source quickly.

In neomutt I have the message-id in the header
field and I can copy it with the mouse but
I was curious if anyone found a nice
macro with a keybind to just copy the
message-id directly to clipboard?

Googling didn't give me any results, and neither
did looking through mail archives.

Kind regards
Maciej Wieczór-Retman

* Re: Neomutt/mutt copy message-id with b4
@ 2023-07-31  7:59 ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2023-07-31  7:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maciej Wieczór-Retman; +Cc: kernelnewbies

On Mon, Jul 31, 2023 at 09:44:48AM +0200, Maciej Wieczór-Retman wrote:
> Hi!
> I was thinking on how to make using Neomutt
> easier with b4 to apply patches for testing.
>
> In thunderbird there is an extension
> that creates a button, that copies the message id.
> This way I was able to paste that message-id into
> b4, and apply a whole patch series to my kernel
> source quickly.
>
> In neomutt I have the message-id in the header
> field and I can copy it with the mouse but
> I was curious if anyone found a nice
> macro with a keybind to just copy the
> message-id directly to clipboard?
>
> Googling didn't give me any results, and neither
> did looking through mail archives.

For mutt I use:
	macro index B |'b4 am -t -o - | git am -s'\n

which binds the key "B" to take the current message and pass it through
to b4 to apply the whole patch series to the tree in the local
directory.

hope this helps,

greg k-h

* Re: Neomutt/mutt copy message-id with b4
@ 2023-07-31  8:52   ` Maciej Wieczór-Retman
From: Maciej Wieczór-Retman @ 2023-07-31  8:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg KH; +Cc: kernelnewbies

Thanks for the quick reply!

On 2023-07-31 at 09:59:20 +0200, Greg KH wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 31, 2023 at 09:44:48AM +0200, Maciej Wieczór-Retman wrote:
> > Hi!
> > I was thinking on how to make using Neomutt
> > easier with b4 to apply patches for testing.
> >
> > In thunderbird there is an extension
> > that creates a button, that copies the message id.
> > This way I was able to paste that message-id into
> > b4, and apply a whole patch series to my kernel
> > source quickly.
> >
> > In neomutt I have the message-id in the header
> > field and I can copy it with the mouse but
> > I was curious if anyone found a nice
> > macro with a keybind to just copy the
> > message-id directly to clipboard?
> >
> > Googling didn't give me any results, and neither
> > did looking through mail archives.
>
> For mutt I use:
> 	macro index B |'b4 am -t -o - | git am -s'\n
>
> which binds the key "B" to take the current message and pass it through
> to b4 to apply the whole patch series to the tree in the local
> directory.
>
> hope this helps,

Thanks a lot, the command works great!

Since I wanted to do it through clipboard I did the following:
Set a macro in neomutt:
        macro index,pager B |'xsel --clipboard'

This pastes a message to clipboard with xsel. Then in my git
repo I run:
        xsel -ob | b4 am -t -o - | git am -s

And since I am using lazygit quite often I set a custom
command also under "B" to do it quickly:
        customCommands:
          - key: "B"
            command: "xsel -ob | b4 am -t -o - | git am -s"
            context: "localBranches"

Maybe it will be helpful to someone else.

> greg k-h

Thanks again!
Kind regards
Maciej Wieczór-Retman