kernelnewbies.kernelnewbies.org archive mirror
* How do the kernel boot parameters work (especially "toram")?
@ 2021-08-27 11:03 Gueven Bay
From: Gueven Bay @ 2021-08-27 11:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Hello,

With kernel boot parameters I mean the arguments you give on the grub
command line to the kernel. Just like "toram" which on some distros
work and on many doesn't.

I googled but only found webpages listing the possible boot parameters
and maybe explaining what they do, but none where it was explained
_how_ they work.

Does a boot parameter make the kernel call a script? Does a boot
parameter reference a function inside the kernel? If some distros seem
to allow a specific boot parameter what did they do to their distros
kernel to make this parameter work? And which module or which part of
the kernel takes the boot parameters as input to do the appropriate
things?

For example: It seems that Centos (8) does not suppport "toram"
(allowing to load the whole OS into RAM), at least on my machine.
Okay, what should or can I do to get my (Centos) kernel to accept
this? Writing a script? Patching something?

(Maybe my questions are not really clear, just ask me, please.)

Thanks.

* Re: How do the kernel boot parameters work (especially "toram")?
@ 2021-08-27 15:50 ` Ian Pilcher
From: Ian Pilcher @ 2021-08-27 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On 8/27/21 6:03 AM, Gueven Bay wrote:
> With kernel boot parameters I mean the arguments you give on the grub
> command line to the kernel. Just like "toram" which on some distros
> work and on many doesn't.

I'm not familiar with "toram", but it's possible that it's not actually
a kernel parameter.  Not everything that's passed on the kernel command
line is actually a kernel parameter; see dracut.cmdline(7) for a bunch
of examples.

Actual kernel parameters are implemented with various macros defined in
include/linux/moduleparam.h.