keyrings.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* Request_key from KMIP appliance
@ 2021-01-07 21:37 Alison Schofield
From: Alison Schofield @ 2021-01-07 21:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: keyrings; +Cc: Dan Williams

Hi,

I'm looking into using an external key server to store the encrypted blobs
of kernel encrypted keys. Today they are stored in the rootfs, but we'd
like to address the need to store the keys in an external KMIP appliance,
separate from the platform where deployed.

Any leads, thoughts, experience with the Linux Kernel Key Service
requesting keys from an external Key Server such as this?

Thanks,
Alison

* Re: Request_key from KMIP appliance
@ 2021-01-08  0:31 ` Ben Boeckel
From: Ben Boeckel @ 2021-01-08  0:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alison Schofield; +Cc: keyrings, Dan Williams

On Thu, Jan 07, 2021 at 13:37:10 -0800, Alison Schofield wrote:
> I'm looking into using an external key server to store the encrypted blobs
> of kernel encrypted keys. Today they are stored in the rootfs, but we'd
> like to address the need to store the keys in an external KMIP appliance,
> separate from the platform where deployed.
>
> Any leads, thoughts, experience with the Linux Kernel Key Service
> requesting keys from an external Key Server such as this?

See the `request-key.conf(5)` manpage. I don't have experience with
actual usage or deployment though, so others might have more input.

--Ben

* Re: Request_key from KMIP appliance
@ 2021-01-15 22:21   ` Alison Schofield
From: Alison Schofield @ 2021-01-15 22:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-fscrypt, Ben Boeckel; +Cc: keyrings, Dan Williams

+ linux-fscrypt

Since I first wrote this question, realized we need to consider any
external key server, not only ones that are KMIP compliant.