kvm.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* kvm binary names
@ 2009-03-20 17:57 jd
From: jd @ 2009-03-20 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: KVM List

Hi
   What is the motivation for having different kvm binary names on various linux distributions.. ?

-- kvm
-- qemu-system-x86_84
-- qemu-kvm

any more ?

Thanks
/Jd

* Re: kvm binary names
@ 2009-03-20 18:17 ` Daniel P. Berrange
From: Daniel P. Berrange @ 2009-03-20 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jd; +Cc: KVM List

On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 10:57:50AM -0700, jd wrote:

> Hi
>    What is the motivation for having different kvm binary names on various linux distributions.. ?
>
> -- kvm
> -- qemu-system-x86_84
> -- qemu-kvm

I can tell you the history from the Fedora POV at least...

We already had 'qemu', 'qemu-system-x86_64', etc from the existing
plain qemu emulator RPMs we distributed.

The KVM makefile creates a binary call qemu-system-x86_64 but this
clashes with the existing QEMU RPM, so we had to rename it somehow
to allow parallel installation of KVM and QEMU RPMs.

KVM already ships with a python script called 'kvm' and we didn't
want to clash with that either, so we eventually settled on calling
it 'qemu-kvm'. Other distros didn't worry about clash with the python
script so called their binary just 'kvm'

Ultimately this mess will resolve itself as all of KVM gets merged into
upstream QEMU and we no longer have a separate code fork. So the regular
QEMU RPM's qemu-system-x86_64 emulator binary will have KVM support
builtin by default

Regards,
Daniel

* Re: kvm binary names
@ 2009-03-30 21:12   ` Bill Davidsen
From: Bill Davidsen @ 2009-03-30 21:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel P. Berrange; +Cc: jd, KVM List

Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 10:57:50AM -0700, jd wrote:
>> Hi
>>    What is the motivation for having different kvm binary names on various linux distributions.. ?
>>
>> -- kvm
>> -- qemu-system-x86_84
>> -- qemu-kvm
>
> I can tell you the history from the Fedora POV at least...
>
> We already had 'qemu', 'qemu-system-x86_64', etc from the existing
> plain qemu emulator RPMs we distributed.
>
> The KVM makefile creates a binary call qemu-system-x86_64 but this
> clashes with the existing QEMU RPM, so we had to rename it somehow
> to allow parallel installation of KVM and QEMU RPMs.
>
> KVM already ships with a python script called 'kvm' and we didn't
> want to clash with that either, so we eventually settled on calling
> it 'qemu-kvm'. Other distros didn't worry about clash with the python
> script so called their binary just 'kvm'

Don't stop there, why does Fedora have both "qemu-ppc" and "qemu-system-ppc" and
so forth? There are many of these, "arm" and "m68k" for instance. On x86 I
assume that they are both emulated, and they are not two names for the same
executable or such, so what are they and how to choose which to use?

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>

* Re: kvm binary names
@ 2009-03-30 21:26     ` Glauber Costa
From: Glauber Costa @ 2009-03-30 21:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bill Davidsen; +Cc: Daniel P. Berrange, jd, KVM List

On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 6:12 PM, Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com> wrote:
> Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 10:57:50AM -0700, jd wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi
>>>   What is the motivation for having different kvm binary names on various
>>> linux distributions.. ?
>>> -- kvm
>>> -- qemu-system-x86_84
>>> -- qemu-kvm
>>
>> I can tell you the history from the Fedora POV at least...
>>
>> We already had 'qemu', 'qemu-system-x86_64', etc from the existing
>> plain qemu emulator RPMs we distributed.
>>
>> The KVM makefile creates a binary call qemu-system-x86_64 but this
>> clashes with the existing QEMU RPM, so we had to rename it somehow
>> to allow parallel installation of KVM and QEMU RPMs.
>>
>> KVM already ships with a python script called 'kvm' and we didn't
>> want to clash with that either, so we eventually settled on calling
>> it 'qemu-kvm'. Other distros didn't worry about clash with the python
>> script so called their binary just 'kvm'
>>
> Don't stop there, why does Fedora have both "qemu-ppc" and "qemu-system-ppc"
> and so forth? There are many of these, "arm" and "m68k" for instance. On x86
> I assume that they are both emulated, and they are not two names for the
> same executable or such, so what are they and how to choose which to use?
one of them being the userspace linux emulator, and the other, the
system emulator.

--
Glauber  Costa.
"Free as in Freedom"

"The less confident you are, the more serious you have to act."

* Re: kvm binary names
@ 2009-03-31  9:40     ` Daniel P. Berrange
From: Daniel P. Berrange @ 2009-03-31  9:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bill Davidsen; +Cc: jd, KVM List

On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 05:12:30PM -0400, Bill Davidsen wrote:
> Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> >On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 10:57:50AM -0700, jd wrote:
> >>Hi
> >>   What is the motivation for having different kvm binary names on
> >>   various linux distributions.. ?
> >>-- kvm
> >>-- qemu-system-x86_84
> >>-- qemu-kvm
> >
> >I can tell you the history from the Fedora POV at least...
> >
> >We already had 'qemu', 'qemu-system-x86_64', etc from the existing
> >plain qemu emulator RPMs we distributed.
> >
> >The KVM makefile creates a binary call qemu-system-x86_64 but this
> >clashes with the existing QEMU RPM, so we had to rename it somehow
> >to allow parallel installation of KVM and QEMU RPMs.
> >
> >KVM already ships with a python script called 'kvm' and we didn't
> >want to clash with that either, so we eventually settled on calling
> >it 'qemu-kvm'. Other distros didn't worry about clash with the python
> >script so called their binary just 'kvm'
> >
> Don't stop there, why does Fedora have both "qemu-ppc" and
> "qemu-system-ppc" and so forth? There are many of these, "arm" and "m68k"
> for instance. On x86 I assume that they are both emulated, and they are not
> two names for the same executable or such, so what are they and how to
> choose which to use?

Those are totally different things.  qemu-$ARCH  is a userspace
emulator, while qemu-system-$ARCH is a full machine emulator.

The userspace emulator lets you directly execute binaries from the
other non-native arch. The machine emulator provides a complete
virtual machine where you can rnu an entire OS.

Daniel

* Re: kvm binary names
@ 2009-03-22 14:46 jd
From: jd @ 2009-03-22 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)