kvm.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* windows 2008 installation doesn't recognize cdrom
@ 2010-08-28 15:44 Martin Kraus
From: Martin Kraus @ 2010-08-28 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kvm

Hi. I'm trying to install windows 2008 on kvm running on debian squeeze with qemu-kvm
0.12 but the installer complains about not being able to find any drivers for
the cdrom. Is there some way to feed it a cdrom driver? I've never had any
problems with previous windows installations.

thanks
mk

* Re: windows 2008 installation doesn't recognize cdrom
@ 2010-08-30 10:15 ` Jes Sorensen
From: Jes Sorensen @ 2010-08-30 10:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin Kraus; +Cc: kvm

On 08/28/10 17:44, Martin Kraus wrote:

> Hi. I'm trying to install windows 2008 on kvm running on debian squeeze with qemu-kvm
> 0.12 but the installer complains about not being able to find any drivers for
> the cdrom. Is there some way to feed it a cdrom driver? I've never had any
> problems with previous windows installations.

Hi Martin,

You need to be a little more explicit about what you are trying to do here.

Are you trying to point the CDROM drive to KVM and have it controlled by
Windows, or are you trying to point it to an ISO image?

You ought to be able to just say -cdrom /dev/sr<X> if you want KVM to
see the CDROM drive, or -cdrom /path/to/iso/image if you want it to read
the ISO.

Jes

* Re: windows 2008 installation doesn't recognize cdrom
@ 2010-08-30 12:45   ` Martin Kraus
From: Martin Kraus @ 2010-08-30 12:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jes Sorensen; +Cc: kvm

On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 12:15:54PM +0200, Jes Sorensen wrote:
> On 08/28/10 17:44, Martin Kraus wrote:
> >
> > Hi. I'm trying to install windows 2008 on kvm running on debian squeeze with qemu-kvm
> > 0.12 but the installer complains about not being able to find any drivers for
> > the cdrom. Is there some way to feed it a cdrom driver? I've never had any
> > problems with previous windows installations.
>
> You need to be a little more explicit about what you are trying to do here.
>
> Are you trying to point the CDROM drive to KVM and have it controlled by
> Windows, or are you trying to point it to an ISO image?
>
> You ought to be able to just say -cdrom /dev/sr<X> if you want KVM to
> see the CDROM drive, or -cdrom /path/to/iso/image if you want it to read
> the ISO.

By the installer I've meant the windows installer which complains that it can't
find a driver for cdrom (emulated by kvm patched qemu). I can boot from the cd
image by using -drive file=.....media=cdrom or -cdrom ... and the
installation starts but it stops at the second installation window asking to
browse manualy for an appropriate driver.

I've been just wondering if anyone came across this problem or if I should
blame it on Windows.

@ 2010-08-30 14:12     ` Jes Sorensen
From: Jes Sorensen @ 2010-08-30 14:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin Kraus; +Cc: kvm

On 08/30/10 14:45, Martin Kraus wrote:
> By the installer I've meant the windows installer which complains that it can't
> find a driver for cdrom (emulated by kvm patched qemu). I can boot from the cd
> image by using -drive file=.....media=cdrom or -cdrom ... and the
> installation starts but it stops at the second installation window asking to
> browse manualy for an appropriate driver.
>
> I've been just wondering if anyone came across this problem or if I should
> blame it on Windows.

That is very odd, I have certainly managed to install win2k8 here from
an ISO image without problems. If you launch it with -monitor stdio what
do you get when you type 'info block' ?

Cheers,
Jes

* Re: windows 2008 installation doesn't recognize cdrom
@ 2010-08-30 15:29       ` Martin Kraus
From: Martin Kraus @ 2010-08-30 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jes Sorensen; +Cc: kvm

On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 04:12:05PM +0200, Jes Sorensen wrote:
> On 08/30/10 14:45, Martin Kraus wrote:
> > By the installer I've meant the windows installer which complains that it can't
> > find a driver for cdrom (emulated by kvm patched qemu). I can boot from the cd
> > image by using -drive file=.....media=cdrom or -cdrom ... and the
> > installation starts but it stops at the second installation window asking to
> > browse manualy for an appropriate driver.
> >
> > I've been just wondering if anyone came across this problem or if I should
> > blame it on Windows.
>
> That is very odd, I have certainly managed to install win2k8 here from
> an ISO image without problems. If you launch it with -monitor stdio what
> do you get when you type 'info block' ?

ide0-hd0: type=hd removable=0 file=/dev/mapper/virtual-pinda ro=0 drv=host_device encrypted=0
ide1-cd0: type=cdrom removable=1 locked=0 file=/root/pub/iso/SW_DVD5_Windows_Svr_2008_R2_x64_ENG_1_ProdAct_X15-50365(2).ISO ro=0 drv=raw encrypted=0
floppy0: type=floppy removable=1 locked=0 [not inserted]
sd0: type=floppy removable=1 locked=0 [not inserted]

I'll try to download the iso again if I manage to get past the microsoft
signon.

@ 2010-08-31 22:36         ` Martin Kraus
From: Martin Kraus @ 2010-08-31 22:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jes Sorensen; +Cc: kvm

On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 05:29:45PM +0200, Martin Kraus wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 04:12:05PM +0200, Jes Sorensen wrote:
> > On 08/30/10 14:45, Martin Kraus wrote:
> > > By the installer I've meant the windows installer which complains that it can't
> > > find a driver for cdrom (emulated by kvm patched qemu). I can boot from the cd
> > > image by using -drive file=.....media=cdrom or -cdrom ... and the
> > > installation starts but it stops at the second installation window asking to
> > > browse manualy for an appropriate driver.
> > >
> > > I've been just wondering if anyone came across this problem or if I should
> > > blame it on Windows.
> >
> > That is very odd, I have certainly managed to install win2k8 here from
> > an ISO image without problems. If you launch it with -monitor stdio what
> > do you get when you type 'info block' ?
>
> ide0-hd0: type=hd removable=0 file=/dev/mapper/virtual-pinda ro=0 drv=host_device encrypted=0
> ide1-cd0: type=cdrom removable=1 locked=0 file=/root/pub/iso/SW_DVD5_Windows_Svr_2008_R2_x64_ENG_1_ProdAct_X15-50365(2).ISO ro=0 drv=raw encrypted=0
> floppy0: type=floppy removable=1 locked=0 [not inserted]
> sd0: type=floppy removable=1 locked=0 [not inserted]
>
> I'll try to download the iso again if I manage to get past the microsoft
> signon.

Oh well. I've managed to persuade someone capable of signing on to the
microsoft site to get the hash of the dvd and it's been corrupted.
I appologize for this blunder.

thank you for help
mk